1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota not pushing Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Hoddie, Apr 21, 2017.

1. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW soccer is a game of two halves, each of 45 mins (plus any extra time added).
    Although games occasionally result in no score, it's the skill of the players and accuracy of passes is where much of the spectator entertainment come from. Sometime one teams excellent strong attack (offence) can be countered by the opposing team's defence and the match (battle) results in stalemate.
    It was always said in my youth that football (soccer) was a gentleman's game played by ruffians, whereas rugby was a ruffian's game played by gentlemen. Opinions will doubtless vary even today!

#41 RCO, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    jerrymildred likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The main thing that impresses me about soccer (football for some of you) is the endurance of those people. That's a lot of running. I've heard American football described as 22 men in desperate need of rest being watched by 75,000 people in desperate need of exercise. Even more so with soccer!

#42 jerrymildred, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Regarding Toyota and the Prius, they're pushing them around here. The Prius and especially the Prime are being advertised like I've never seen before. As I mentioned in another thread, I received a flier in the mail that was a full size rendition of the large multimedia screen.

4. Sandollars

Sandollars Prius Maven

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    They don't need to be pushed where I live. They sell as quickly as they make them.

RCO likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I can list to the left...
    Maybe I'm alone on this, but I watched in dismay as that screen took over on all levels, in 2012 I think. Our 2010 Canadian Touring has no screen, and I prefer it thus. If they would go further, replace uniform, anonymous buttons (some requiring multiple pushes while you take your eyes off the road and watch an LCD) with large, tactile knobs and sliders, I'd be all over it.

RCO likes this.
  6. Sandollars

Sandollars Prius Maven

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Screens are the future and more reliable than several dozen mechanical buttons. We are going to have to learn to adapt because they aren't going to go away... Eventually, I believe we will do most of our communicating with our car by voice.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

My main concern is heating and ventilating, especially at night in rain, doubly so on twisty roads. Once upon a time there was ONE slider, with detents and the most important modes of vent and defogger at either extreme, and a large diameter knob for fan speed. Hardly dozens of buttons.

RCO likes this.
  8. Sandollars

Sandollars Prius Maven

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Don't get me wrong. I miss the buttons too... Based on past history and the economy of scale, the computers that run our cars are best accessed by a screen. The screen was very distracting at first and still requires more attention to manipulate which equates to more distracted driving. Voice interaction will eventually take over. JMHO....

Oh, and my Advanced Prius Prime has 42 buttons as well as 2 knobs (I just went out and counted) and it has the 12 inch screen to boot. That's over 3 dozen buttons still. Just saying... :)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't tell my wife. I bought a VOLVO in 1974 - it had about 10-12 buttons and knobs - 4 times the number of buttons our VW Microbus had. She kept saying "why do you always have to be pressing buttons" - I think she didn't understand some of them.

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Puts me in mind of blenders. Some have simple dial that goes from off to full speed. Others (often the cheap ones) have a row of buttons with various semi-cryptic descriptions, and really: they're just speed increments.

11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Puts me in mind of when I was an electrician. One of my co-workers, when adding a new function to a press, liked to make the indicator lights do double duty. If an indicator normally came on solid, he would program it to flash to indicate some other condition. Drove the operators nuts. Not long before I changed careers, touch screens were becoming more common. No more temptation to get lazy with the indicator lights, but we had to learn a whole new way of making the machine communicate with its operators. Easier in the long run and way more flexible, but quite a learning curve for the old guys.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  12. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like AirConditioner remotes - in the semi-dark with a bedlamp, which of these changes it from cold to hot (while nearly asleep)?

upload_2017-4-24_10-42-34.png

Or worse, when Dad has always operated the A/C, he goes into Aged Care leaving Mum, age 87 with this:
    upload_2017-4-24_10-45-40.png

"It's easy Mum, just ... ".

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On the Gen 4, you can do most changes with the 4.2" MID if you don't want to look for the buttons :) . You just using the steering wheel pad to scroll to the climate section (or you can leave it on that screen). You can change your temperature, change from fresh air/recirc, the MODE, Eco Heat/Cool toggle and S-Flow (next screen).

Although the 2010 with the navigation system has a lot of buttons :). It has the same buttons as yours - one for each media source plus the navigation-related ones on the right side. Now, it's just "Source".

The 1G Panamera (and I think 2G Cayenne too) have lots of buttons. The 2G Panamera replaced both side of the centre console with touch panels :(

[​IMG]

I was also trying to find a Saab 9000 dash with 3 different screens - trip computer,climate control and radio.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whilst that's true, you still have to focus on the mid to make the changes.... :cautious:

15. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    But it what you are use to. Remember being in a hurry to get to the airport and stating driving the wrong way on a freeway in London. My passenger started screaming at me, "turn around". very scary moment I do not care to repeat.

Curious as the US and Canada are former colonies why they don't drive on the left? What caused the change early on? Must have started in the horse days for sure.

Any logic behind all of this? Oh this makes sense.

BTW/China drives on the right side.

Why do some countries drive on the left and others on the right? - World Standards

History and origin
    About a 35% of the world population drives on the left, and the countries that do are mostly old British colonies.

Furthermore, a right-handed person finds it easier to mount a horse from the left side of the horse, and it would be very difficult to do otherwise if wearing a sword (which would be worn on the left). It is safer to mount and dismount towards the side of the road, rather than in the middle of traffic, so if one mounts on the left, then the horse should be ridden on the left side of the road.

In the late 1700s, however, teamsters in France and the United States began hauling farm products in big wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. These wagons had no driver’s seat; instead the driver sat on the left rear horse, so he could keep his right arm free to lash the team. Since he was sitting on the left, he naturally wanted everybody to pass on the left so he could look down and make sure he kept clear of the oncoming wagon’s wheels. Therefore he kept to the right side of the road.

So the question of the day is, "which saves the most fuel?"

#55 ETP, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Mendel Leisk and jerrymildred like this.
  16. jscoot

jscoot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just as likely to be due to the roundabout. The US doesn't seem to do roundabouts (at least on the left coast). Those we do have, are just wrong.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, we've got a ton of 'em. every cow path eventually came to one.:cool:

RCO likes this.
  18. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You didn't have to send your extras to us!
    Roundabout & mini roundabout plans seem to be multiplying around here.

RCO and bisco like this.