1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota OEM 12V replacement Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mosesk, Mar 15, 2013.

1. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does anyone have any information that there is now a 24 month warranty (rather than the previous 12 months) for replacement Toyota OEM Battery for Gen 2 Priuses?
    I just heard this from an independent mechanic who heard it from his Toyota rep.

2. doomteam1

doomteam1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If this is true ill be happy as my battery was just replaced.

3. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm at the Toyota dealer right now in Ventura CA and they will be replacing my original battery with a "TrueStart" brand battery, which is a Toyota OEM according to my service consultant and it has a prorated 7 year warranty

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pls report the dealer price of that battery, and take a photo for posting, if possible. Do the original battery terminal connectors fit the replacement battery?

5. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Patrick- I wish I had paid more attention,
    Total cost- $300
    $200 battery
    $100 labor
    Here is one link:
    Genuine Toyota Parts, OEM Car, Truck and Auto Accessories

I'm assuming they installed a "TrueStart" and not a "True 2" since I was told it has 84 month prorated warranty.
    I don't know if the original battery terminal connectors fit the replacement battery.
    I forgot to ask.
    Would have been smart of me to have asked.
    Can you tell from the pictures or any of the links whether this would have fit with the original connectors?

6. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    May I ask a dumb question?
    (There are no dumb questions!!)
    Which of the two batteries- 12V or hybrid, is responsible for starting the car?
    Or is it more complicated than that?
    I thought I read somewhere that it is the hybrid battery that actually gives the "jolt" to start the car.
    Am I completely misinformed?

JMD likes this.
  7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't tell. If your battery actually looks like one of the batteries shown in the link, it is a regular flooded lead acid battery, not AGM. I would be surprised to find a Toyota dealership installing a regular battery in Prius.
    As is usually the case with the Toyota hybrid system, the answer is complicated.

The 12V battery provides power to turn on the vehicle ECUs. When you want to make the Prius READY, the high voltage traction battery provides DC power to the inverter which produces three-phase high voltage AC to spin MG1 in the transaxle. MG1 spins the gasoline engine to start it.

Therefore, both batteries have an important role in starting the Prius.

JMD, SteveLee, mosesk and 1 other person like this.
  8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    mosesk,

If you purchased the "True Start" battery it comes with a 84 month warranty. The warranty is explained here in this PDF. http://www.toyotapartsandservice.com/pub/pdf/MaterialsForCustomers/06TRM094_Batteries_r1.pdf

FWIW, I too purchased one of these earlier in the year. So far, I am very pleased with the operation of the new battery. I believe you will find that the battery the dealer installed had the correct post size and configuration whereas no modifications would be needed.

In reference to the "jolt" (starting of the engine), that is provided by the traction battery. The 12 volt serves as a power source to boot up the electronics when you push the power button on the Prius. Furthermore, the 12 volt provides power if you were to listen to the radio in accessory mode (not in ready mode).

FWIW, the 12 volt battery is a DIY job if you are mechanically inclined. I was able to change it out in the Prius in a little over an hour. The hardest thing was the top screw that holds the duct in place for the traction battery vent.

EDIT: I note Patrick Wong posted while I was posting also. His answer further clarifies how the 12 volt and the traction battery work together in the ICE starting process.

EDIT: The part # that Toyota provides for the AGM type True Start Battery for the SKS equipped Prius will be 00544-21171-325

Like you said, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

Good luck to you and I hope this info helps.

mosesk likes this.
  9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    mosesk likes this.
  10. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Both are necessary to start the car. The 12V 'boots up" the computer and other electronics so the hybrid battery can start the engine using one of the motor /generators in the transaxle.

mosesk likes this.
  11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Notice that datasheet does not list a battery for the Prius. Instead, it refers the reader to a "Toyota Parts Professional" for assistance. :ROFLMAO:

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/toyota-oem-12v-replacement-battery.123477/#ixzz2NfWDp7hB

That is correct Patrick, why the website refer's the reader to Toyota is beyond me. When you consult with Toyota, they end up selling you the battery that both myself and mosesk have installed in our Prius.

If you recall, I went through all of this in January and posted all of the information here on Prius Chat. It is a AGM type battery.

dead. just dead. battery? or?? | Page 3 | PriusChat Post #58

mosesk likes this.
  12. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    thanks as always.
    what is "MG1"?

13. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you very much.
    Me?
    Mechanically inclined??
    Never met a mechanic I didn't like???

haha...

14. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    mosesk,

Would you be so kind as to post the part # of the battery that was installed? It should be on your receipt.

15. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    00544-21171-325 BATTERY 12V......$203.02
    ODBAT WASTE DISPOSAL FEE.. 2.00

dorunron likes this.
  16. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yup, same thing that I bought. The number is identical. I hope you have good luck with the battery. So far our's is holding up very well and holding a charge with no problem. The original one was getting weak, as the info I posted previously point's out.

It is my understanding that the battery we both purchased is a AGM type battery and is also the correct battery for the Gen II Prius with SKS installed as per OEM specifications.

mosesk likes this.
  17. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm gonna stick with your understanding and hope for the best.
    I pretty much (naively) trust my local Toyota dealership ( as long as I come in armed with a boatload of great PriusChat information. They perk up when they see me coming)

18. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is hard to get a straight answer from Toyota on this. Several of the people I talked to said they didn't know. Two said it was AGM. Even Toyota reps at the customer service center referred me back to the dealers.

I do know this for a fact. The battery that both of us have does not have caps on it like a typical flooded battery will have. The only way I know of to prove if it is a AGM type battery would be is to disassemble the battery to confirm that it has the glass mats in place in the battery. The pictures on the website I referred to for warranty info. shows a standard flooded battery, however that picture does not represent what the battery that you and I have. Furthermore, the battery that you and I have is identical to the original battery as far as post size, configuration of post's, vent tube location and the size of the case. The only difference I saw in the two batteries was the labeling and the fact that Yuasa was not on the new battery.

According to all the information I have been able to uncover, the Prius is supposed to have a AGM type battery installed. I believe AGM stands for Advanced Glass Mat.

I did a lot of research both here on PC, the internet, and made several calls to Toyota and battery manufacturers before finally settling on what I purchased. I would have went with the yellow top that seems to be the preferred thing here on PC, however there have been reports of the battery being subpar recently due to the fact that the factory has moved to Mexico and that there have been reports of yellow tops being sold with insufficient charges do to setting on shelves for a long time. I recall Julia 2001 posting here on PC where she was very unhappy with her new yellow top. I have also seen other's criticize the battery recently. I am not knocking the yellow top, however I do have reservations after seeing all of the information I have seen recently concerning it.

I hope your new battery works well for you. As I have wrote previously both here and in other posts here on PC, I am very pleased with the new one that is the Prius here. I also note that since the temps have warmed up some, I am seeing higher voltages now with the MFD check than what I saw three months ago.

I am now seeing 12.7, 12.5, and 13.9 whereas I was seeing 12.6, 12.4 and 14.0 at the time of installation. These figures are after the battery has set for at least 24 hours.

With the original I was seeing 12.0, 11.8 and 14.1 just before I changed it out.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    mosesk likes this.
  20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As most of you know I am always on the search for better replacement batteries for the Prius.

In the specifications and cross reference for these batteries no battery is listed for the Prius also the Prius battery is an S46B24R again not listed in the cross reference.

Some batteries are listed as alternatives with the wrong terminal layout.

The batteries are also not listed as being AGM, something I am sure would be advertised as this is a major selling point, and a requirement for a replacement battery according to the Prius handbook.

It also does not appear to be a VRLA battery. If it is a flooded lead acid battery the guarantee for the US seems good, but it is at an AGM battery price. With the possibility "although remote" of acid spillage into the passenger compartment in the eventuality of a rear end accident, possibly the very reason Toyota choose an AGM for the Prius.

John (Britprius)

mosesk likes this.