1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota, others ask for 70% increase in pollution, NOx

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Troy Heagy, Oct 10, 2015.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    New cars? Source?

Now in Alabama that would be true because we have folks who go out of their way to defeat emissions controls. Then they get to pay more at the pump because the car can not tune it; the accumulated carbon burn up their engine from carbon burning the valves and; then they buy another car to screw up. Like Ron White said, "You can't fix stupid."

Bob Wilson

2. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    You are inserting information not given The Volt engineer just said "hybrids" in general. He described how hybrids turn-off the engine & during that time the catalytic converter drops in temperature. "Instead of SULEV the exhast drops to ULEV levels." He described it as a problem all hybrids have when they are running in EV mode & start cooling.

Now to YOUR point: If Toyota is "ahead" on emissions, why are they (and Honda and GM) asking EU regulators for a 70% increase in NOx allowances? That seems odd. Toyota should be more confident & not need to make that request. They should be saying "Yes we can meet current targets.".... instead they are asking for an increase. (My belief is that Toyota is a company, and not any better than the rest of them.)

I'm not a fanatic of any car company.
    In fact I pretty much distrust them all.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with you only if you can support your point.
    Is Toyota asking for leniency on USA Hybrids? or is Toyota asking for leniency on the diesels they market in EU? Seems to be the latter.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The post I was replying to didn't specify new cars just being the nasty ones. If you can tell a car is emitting something by sight or small, it is most likely an older car. The extra NOx given off by the VW cheater cars isn't detectable to human senses out on the street. Otherwise it wouldn't have been as successful.