1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Owners Jump Ship to Tesla

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by hill, May 18, 2018.

1. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I won't disagree with the quality of Tesla service staff, only point out that if different procedures are needed on different models, it costs more to train them.

As for the Bolt, it appears to use the same brakes as the Volt and Cruze, which means there's a lot of mechanics that know how to work on them, and parts are available everywhere. Of course, EVs don't wear out brakes like normal cars, so perhaps not the best example. But depending on what's wrong with your Bolt, you may not have to go to a Chevy dealer to fix it.

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Very true. Likewise, if a Tesla needs work on the brakes you can go to any brake shop.

3. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, that's what I said
    Now if Tesla had shown a similar drop in sales from May 17 to May 18, what would you be saying about the future of Tesla?

4. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Apples and oranges. Toyota can stand a modest drop in sales and remain profitable. Tesla needs to sell more cars to become profitable (or at least break-even). My understanding was that 10K Model 3s per week along with steady sales of Model S and Model X would make Tesla profitable, and going above 10K a week would be the start of real progress towards world domination. And if they want to plow those profits back into developing a Tesla pickup and building out the supercharger grid, that's great!

Tesla can't take forever to get there though. They're running out of runway (cash), and need to take off before they crash and burn, or raise more cash to extend the runway. If they do hit a sustainable 5K per week soon, and continue to raise it from there, and don't run out of cash first, this company just might stick around for a while.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The reality is that all manufactures are being pinched and cutting cost either in layoffs or manufacturing expense. Toyota has cut termendous costs in manufacturing and will continue to lead in manufacturing. Camry is number one in sales and Corolla is number 3 in sales in the USA.

6. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why fund Toyota if you dislike the company so much, when you have alernatives for service?

7. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I never said I disliked Toyota, I've been driving a Prius now for several years for heaven's sake! I am criticizing Toyota for not having a viable BEV at a price point you say Tesla is not meeting. You think Toyota can do it and so do I, but they are too conservative in their commitment to ICE vehicles. They need to cover all the bases for models that ALL consumers may want in order to stay competitive.

With regards to taking my car for service at a Toyota stealership, it was for two, no cost recalls. I had no alternative but to take it to a stealership (more on that in another thread). @orenji, you jump to way too many conclusions!

8. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How many repairs have you had done on your Prius at the Dealership that you have had to pay out of pocket?

9. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  10. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well I hope they do! In the meantime, Elon has hinted that Tesla will introduce the same features as Volvo in late 2019. The BIG stumbling block for any car maker introducing level 4 autonomy is getting approval from the government, like NTSB. Competition is good, let's see which company does the better job.

11. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ZERO! I thought you said Toyotas were reliable and didn't need any repairs! :confused: I take my Prius to the Ford dealership when I want my oil changed. They do the job in half the time at half the cost of the Toyota stealership.

12. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota is the most reliable car manufacture in the world. I guess if you have never had to have any repairs done at Toyota, how do you know their prices are high, and repairs take a long time?

13. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey, I've never heard of anyone knocking on a tent door!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

14. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Neighbor, please!! Mellow out the hyperbole and maybe people won't treat your statements like trumpisms!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

Trollbait, tpenny67 and markabele like this.
  15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Back to the OP, Toyota had 5 of the top 10 slots of vehicles sold in California last year. IIRC, California is also the top sales market for Tesla. Sooooo, it's not real hard to see that Toyota owners would be the largest pool of potential customers for Tesla to draw from.

California vehicle sales exceed 2 million for third straight year - The San Diego Union-Tribune

I think what might help with the tone of the discussion is for some folks to acknowledge that there would not be a modern day Tesla if not for Toyota planting the seeds.

Trollbait and hill like this.
  16. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What hyperbole? Exactly what?

17. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Oh, I have needed repairs done on my Prius, but I take it to independent shops or the Ford dealership. How do I know
    Toyota prices are high? Comparative shopping.

18. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    don't you guys realize the @el Crucero has everything figured out? no point in arguing with him

19. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ?? Earlier you said you had ZERO repairs done on your Prius, other then recall items.

20. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You asked me. "How many repairs have you had done on your Prius at the Dealership." I said ZERO, which is true. I have had repairs done on my Prius but it was at independent repair shops or the Ford dealership.