1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Owners Jump Ship to Tesla

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by hill, May 18, 2018.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

That's not quite as good as the Tesla model S/X free supercharging for life unlimited use. Maybe Toyota can offer free gasoline for life! :D @orenji will have us believe that Toyota is going to offer that..........................next year. :whistle: :sleep:

2. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    • 2018 Tesla model 3
    - ~22 kWh/100 mi
    - 0.0 gal/100 mi dino fuel

3. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes got it.....did you see the part on EV

6. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hopefully the Pruitt/Trump Factor will also decrease. Too many nutjobs in the government may yet cripple the sane progress of electric power.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

bisco likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "electrified" would also include the Mirai.

Zythryn likes this.
  8. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Please check your calculations; I think the Tesla, using your values, would travel 1 mile on $0.045, not $0.45. I may be wrong; somebody check the math!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They were free to disbelieve what Tesla was saying, and their past in meeting deadlines, but that is on them, not Tesla.

Care to share any communication from Tesla asking you for another $2500?

Tesla will still have the Supercharger advantage. The current other fast DC chargers out there are maybe half the power of a Supercharger, and it will take time for any faster ones to be built out. On top of that, Tesla models will more than likely be able to take advantage of those other networks. A CHAdeMO adapter has been available from Tesla for some time now.

They are only going to be around as long as there are parts in their warehouse.

There are already PHEVs for them.

The general mix of electric sources in the US is 30% coal, 30% gas, 30% nuclear, and the balance hydro, renewables and oil. The amount of coal has been steadily dropping with gas and renewables(mostly wind) growing.

Possibly, double clutch transmission are new to mass market personal cars, but consider this. AAMCO was successful in business by focusing just on transmission, because automatic transmissions did require more care. In 2007, they had to branch out into general car maintenance services as automatic transmission reliablity was too high to focus on just them and stay in business.

While the HSD transaxle is mechanically simple, there have been issues in the hardware and software surrounding it.
    The price delta between an hybrid and a plain ICE model also mean many miles of 'free' fuel. That is why hybrids only make up a little over 2% of new car sales now, and only got over 3% at best in the past.

Plug in cars other more than better fuel economy.

10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My coworker had to pay another $2500 toward his Model 3 & finish the configurator. He expects to pick up his Model 3 later this month.

HPrimeAdvanced and bisco like this.
  11. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    After contemplating some points made on this thread I have a couple comments.

First of all, I think I've said this before..but I certainly do applaud all of you that are 'early adopters' and are pushing the tech forward.

However, many of us here are 'cheapskates' and 'extreme DIYers' that only purchase used versions of any said vehicle. And I am one of those cheapskates ( or 'frugal' if you want a better word ). Just look over some of my posts and you will have proof of that. (y) Heck, I don't even want to fork over the $$$ for a Gen 4 Prius yet! :D In fact, this frame of mind might be one reason why there is so much contention on this thread.

With that being said...It is very entertaining to see how far the tech has progressed in such a short time. However, it seems to me that many with my point of view will not have any sort of 'electric' vehicle for quite some time. Sorry..I'm just not sold on the long term viability of a used Nissan Leaf. :whistle: However, from the battery degradation data I've seen on Tesla...it *does* look quite promising that Tesla will be quite viable in the used market. It should be interesting once there actually is a 35K model 3....and they eventually hit the used market.

Trollbait and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    other than hill and a couple others, most people are quite happy with their leaf. especially in cooler climes.
    and bolt has liquid cooling.

everyone doesn't have to drive a bev now, it's a marathon, not a sprint. look at all the phev drivers with high ev ratio's, next best thing.

iplug, Trollbait, Zythryn and 2 others like this.
  13. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently stumbled across this story from 2012, which resets my reference points for where Model 3 production was originally predicted: Tesla Says All-Electric 3-Series Competitor Due By 2015

Hinting that the target price of Tesla’s compact sedan would be around $30,000, von Holzhausen promised that “the third model will continue to drive down the price point as fast as possible.”
    Based on that early promise, we're already at 3.5 years and counting waiting for a $5000 pricier model. And yes, I'm interpreting "by 2015" and "around $30,000" as "by Jan 1 2015" and "$30,000 or less" for dramatic effect, get over it :) Point is later and more expensive than originally predicted is the general trend.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure, and fuel cell vehicles will be ready for the public in 2007.

Edit

Oops, it appears some of the first predictions were 1990.

After Decades Of Promises, Are Hydrogen Cars Really Any Closer? | Gas 2

#834 Zythryn, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Trollbait and tpenny67 like this.
  15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yep, there was a $1000 for a reservation that goes towards the final payment, and then a $2500 down payment once the order for your car goes into the system. If you get an invitation to place an order, but the options you want aren't available yet, you just get put back into the reservation list without having to pay anything.

Lucifer and others are trying to portray that $2500 as a fee to stay in line regardless of whether the Model 3 you want is available.

A used Bolt or Ioniq electric will likely be my first plug in. GM's track record with the Volt has been good, so the Bolt should be reliable with plenty of range as a used purchase. Need more data on the Ioniq; it is air cooled like the Leaf, but Hyundai does use a fan.

bisco likes this.
  16. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I've also heard good things about the Bolt. So I'm assuming that the Bolt has similar battery tech to the Volt?

Should be interesting to see what the depreciation rate is like on the Bolt.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Volt, Bolt and Spark EV all use coolant to cool/heat the batteries.

18. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You misunderstood your coworker. Tesla requires that you pay a total nonrefundable $3500 to confirm your order. For those that put a $1000 reservation deposit, they then put $2500 (a total of $3500) to confirm their order and they move to the front of the line depending on when they placed their reservation (delivery in 2 weeks to 3 months). For those who did not put down a reservation deposit, they are required to pay a nonrefundable $3500 to confirm their order and move toward the back of the line (delivery in 3 to 5 months)

19. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That was only a "promise" in your and the writer's minds. From Tesla Inc.:
    Forward-Looking Statements: Certain statements herein, including statements regarding future production and delivery of Model S, Model X and Model 3, expected cash flow and net income results, and growth in demand for our vehicles, are “forward-looking statements” that are subject to risks and uncertainties. These forward-looking statements are based on management’s current expectations. Various important factors could cause actual results to differ materially, including the risks identified in our SEC filings. Tesla disclaims any obligation to update this information.
    What you have done here @tpenny67 is created, what is called, a False Narrative - fabricating something in your mind and then recounting it as fact. Fine for you to think of the estimation as a "promise", but that does not make it a material fact.

bisco likes this.
  20. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What am I fabricating? The link contains direct quotes from Tesla's chief designer, and you accuse me of fabricating a narrative? He set an expectation that the Model 3 would begin production in 2015 at a price around $30,000. Call it a promise or an estimate, but if you were investing in Tesla in 2012 quotes such as those are very material information in making your decision, which is why they put the "forward looking statements" disclaimer on everything.

So, is the $35K model being available in 2019 a promise? Or an estimate? Because you seem to take offense at any suggestion that it may slip even later than that.

farmecologist and HPrimeAdvanced like this.