1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota Planning Plug-In Hybrid Vehicles With Over 124 Miles Of Electric Range

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Apr 8, 2023.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Planning Plug-In Hybrid Vehicles With Over 124 Miles Of Electric Range

drash likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The key take away:

. . . the engineers are working on the next generation of plug-in hybrids with a purely electric range of more than 124 miles (200 kilometers).

I don't fault Toyota other than my experience is half that range, 62 mi, would have been enough for me. The risk is too much battery can make the purchase price too high and hurt sales.

Bob Wilson

drash likes this.
  3. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree. Unless they offset the cost with savings.

Reduce the engine down to cruising power? Eliminate the transmission?

moto g power ?

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If Toyota wants to stay in the game while they play catchup, hybrid ev range of 124 miles or better is the way to do it. In addition, battery lifespan and reliability has to match public perceptions of Toyota, which is not severely weakened despite low tension rings and gen3 inverters and brake boosters.

Toyota has the financial strength to price where they chose as seen in the recent Prius Prime and Corolla hybrid msrps. Manufacturing is also a Toyota strength and I suspect their new management will fix the current volume issues. Personally I am ready for a weakened dealer model in states where that is possible.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or use the same setup on a bigger vehicle which gets lesser range and thus a smaller vehicle will benefit from the longer range. (E.g. a Camry Hybrid getting 200km but the same system in a Sienna or Grand Highlander might be 100km which is barely competitive with current gen luxury cars).

6. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    On the pack level, an EV battery costs about $150/kWh for the customer. So, that would be about $5,700 for a 38-kWh battery for a 124-mile BEV range. Such a Corolla "super PHEV" would cost about $27,000, less than 2/3 of what the cheapest Model 3 costs.

Electric-vehicle battery costs soar—IER

The 65-kWh, 259-mile Bolt BEV costs only $28,000 before tax credits, less than 2/3 of the cheapest Model 3. With tax credits, it costs less than a Corolla. Chevy Bolt is a good example showing that EVs can actually cost less than ICE cars due to their simplicity, and Tesla and the likes are exceptions because they are aimed for the luxury market. With the EV batteries getting cheaper and cheaper, a Corolla BEV should eventually cost less than a Corolla ICEV.

https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/shopping/configurator/summary?designCode=&make=chevrolet&model=bolt-ev&radius=250&year=2023&zipCode=90220

#6 Gokhan, Apr 9, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The link states the obvious ... kill off source materials to make stuff & you have to then jack up the price to get your item. Just like killing off our own fuel supplies ... now we're paying way more for fuel. gee ... go figure.
    The solution is for us to start making our own stuff again.

On a non-gloom & doom segway ... 120 mile PHEV? YEA !!! if it's got 7.2 - 50kW charging? Get me on the list !!