1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota plans bigger 'wagon' Prius with lithium-ion battery for next year

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ggood, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mazda did the same with the Premacy/Mazda5. They made it a 6-seater over here and put in the 2.3 litre to replace your 2.0 litre.

Methinks Toyota is bringing over a Corolla Verso Hybrid of some sorts (i.e. Mazda5 size). Not a bad idea considering the Mazda5 is very close in size to the Mazda3 (except in height of course)

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Please make it look like Hybrid-X concept car. I love that car.

3. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For most buyers, a bigger car for the same costs is a better deal.

4. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    any more info on a Prius wagon?
    would like one for work

5. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just thought I'd mention for those who keep mentioning the hybrid-highlander. I don't think it is a viable hybrid because it is very expensive and it doesn't really deliver much better fuel economy than the regular gas version. I've heard many toyota employees say that the hybrid option on the highlander is marketed more as a "performance" enhancement rather than a fuel saver. And from what I'm told, it does accelerate a good bit better than the gas version. But it certainly doesn't market to the same crowd that would buy a prius.

But if they come out with an SUV that gets good mileage, then that might take some sales away from the Prius, but it may also take some sales away from the hybrid Ford Escape.

6. LakePrius

LakePrius Special member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are stories that both Volvo and Peugeot are working on just this type of vehicle. The journalists report that both of these offerings (if they ever make it to market) may also be diesel based and they are targeting the 70MPG range for both cars.

With Volvo's current issues and no real Peugeot imports into the US, we may never see such a beast in America though. But I'm holding out hope that we will indeed be able to purchase an (even part time) AWD sedan with 60+ MPG's here within the next two years. It sure is nice when the snow is on the roads to have that extra traction.

7. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't be surprised if the chassis is based off a Wish or Sienta or some other small 7-passenger wagon that Toyota sells in Asia.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Hugh? how do you figure that. Our Lexus SUV rx-400h (overpriced version of the hyhi) low end epa is 24mpg (I can get over 30mpg, and ours is AWD, btw) ... and the non-hybrid version (rx-350) gets only 18mpg according to the EPA. That's over 25% improved fuel economy. if that's not "much better" fuel economy, I'd like to find out what it'd take to be much better. Maybe I'm just too easily satisfied.

[​IMG]

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife gets 27-28mpg consistently (worst of winter excepted) in her 4WD Highlander Hybrid...she has a short commute (about 2-2.5 miles each way) and while she's attenuated her driving style a bit in the HiHy she is, by no means, a hypermiler. I can easily get mid-30s in the HiHy on my usual commute....I've yet to convince my wife to swap vehicles for a full tank to 'really see what it can do', but I suspect I could achieve upwards of 40mpg under good conditions on my usual commute.

This is a full size SUV with jump seat that allows it to seat 7, can tow a trailer, etc. Over the life of the vehicle, if you need/want/desire a full size SUV there's really nothing on the market that'll come close. I realize those EPA numbers aren't that impressive, but in real world driving the HiHy does very well and the basic models are not that much more expensive than the non-hybrid counterparts.

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Highlander hybrid has the power of V8 (4 liter displacement equivalent) on top of improved fuel economy.