1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Plans Press Conference For Today To Release Findings

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Mar 15, 2010.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    And now we have parasites. Malorn comes to mind.

2. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    +1:D

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    the better an automobile manufacturer does in the marketplace the worse the company is to work with. 30 years ago GM was a disaster to work with. It got marginally better up to about 5 years ago, when it seemed to revert back to more of a partnership. The franchise agreement works for the manufacturers and the customers fairly well. The manufacturer could never provide the level of customer service at the price that the dealer network does. Over the years GM and Ford especially have tried to own stores, always failing miserably.

4. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a solid view from Edmunds who might very well have a better handle on this mess than NHTSA does. Posted as an Op Ed piece in the Wash Post..

Commentary: No Easy Answer for the Toyota Problem - Auto Observer

Some very interesting results of their analyses..
    And this cogent comment..

6 people like this.
  5. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think Tesla has like 10 stores... this may be why. Or maybe it isn't a problem if they don't have any franchised dealers? do not know.

Too bad dealers don't have to compete on the basis of service. I would travel halfway across the country to pick up a car that I ordered on the internet, to avoid the "dealer experience."

6. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I looked at about 50 of the NHTSA complaints attached to Mr. Kane's report on sudden unintended acceleration. 10 of them were complaints that their Toyota didn't accelerate fast enough...

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    thank you for reiterating this point again as repeating this was greatly necessary.

8. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Good job DP. I really appreciate your posts. Edmunds is also on the right track.

La Hood and NHTSA are really over the top. What they say and do is NOT consistent with their records. The expense which they are creating is not helpful. There might be some useful thing done like:

1. Require that unseen pedals do not require moving feet from one pedal
    to another, or
    2. Hand controls for senior citizens,or
    3. All controls by hand like some motorcycles.or
    4. Adopt a rule that the driver will always be responsible so they had better be
    careful.

9. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just hope to God Toyota doesn't go to the guy who thought up the reverse beeping thing! "Mr. Toyoda, I recommend different constant beeps, high pitched for accelerator and low pitched for brakes! And make the beeping really loud for those deaf Americans!":(

10. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    "When we focused on the major automakers and limited our review to recent-model-year vehicles (2005 to present), the 52,000 complaints through September 2009 -- a fair stopping point, because it was before news reports erupted -- showed that every car company had incidents of sudden acceleration. This is not strictly a Toyota issue. NHTSA head David L. Strickland said as much when he told Congress recently that Toyota's rate of complaints was "unremarkable."

This tells the REAL story. Lawyers, the competition and the media have made this a Toyota issue. The truth is that X% of ALL DRIVERS will mistake the gas for the brake with terrible outcomes. Moreover, they drive a variety of auto makes/models.

Case closed? It should be, but those with a vested interest (listed above) will continue to beat the drum over and over again. No amount of logic or reason is going to stop this as their motivation isn't to get to the truth - it's about the dollar. Duh.

-Brad

1 person likes this.
  11. vegasjetskier

vegasjetskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bold added.

But what if the wheels are going, say, 90 mph? Will MG1 still overspeed and burn out?

12. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the most striking fact stated in the Edmunds OpEd piece is that the NHTSA data on UA claims is such a mess. I don't feel the need to pick through it on my own but having been part of assembling and reviewing "issue" logs before I can certainly understand the problem. What is disappointing is that NHTSA hasn't already done the cleanup of the data themselves.

- D

13. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    See this: Toyota Prius - Power Split Device

If neutral is selected, the speed of wheels has NO effect on the speed of MG1, MG2 or the engine. If the accelerator is stuck down, power will be apportioned between the engine and MG1 depending upon the load demand and the charge of the traction battery by the ECU. The lower the charge of the traction battery the greater the speed of the engine.

The condition which justlurkin describes is what Sikes claims and so he should have fried his MG1. The fact that his MG1 did not fry makes his claims about as likely as Hell freezing over.

1 person likes this.
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Youd have to prove Sikes was a liar. Dollars to donuts says he's already been asked by some entity, and REFUSED to take, a lie detecter test. ;)

15. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So you declare. I declare you wrong. So there.

They should absolutely get out any info that can work towards clearing their name. If you knew of info that cast doubt on someone making serious accusations about you wouldn't you want to get that info out?

You don't hire a lawyer if you don't need one. If he isn't planning on suing and having the lawyer work on contingency then he has to be paying the lawyer up front. He doesn't have any money. Why would he go further into debt to pay for a lawyer that he supposedly doesn't need? Unless he realized he needs protection from the law.

Also, he did say he didn't want to sue, and that all he wanted was a new car. Hm... lease is up, $700,000 in debt... I'm sure he didn't want to sue, he probably thought with the publicity Toyota would make him a quick settlement to shut him up. Unfortunately for him that didn't happen and now he has all this scrutiny on him. It all adds up for me.

Aha! So he has a dog in this fight, his pride, reputation... whatever. That explains a lot.