1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Plots Comeback for Prius After Tesla Takes Spotlight

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ggood, Apr 15, 2015.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how would we know, do you have a p85d?

hmm, i have this $90,000. car, and this $25,000. car. why isn't the $25,000. as nice.(n)

Trollbait likes this.
  3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It would be wiser for Prius drivers who sense their car bores them, to say something about it than try to sweep that under the carpet forever. Now the Prius needs to become a better car since gas doesn't always just go up in price.

#43 cycledrum, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2015
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    as far as prius owners speaking up, i think they do. you can see how many agree with you by their replies. just look at the gen IV wish list.

the only ones i don't understand are the ones who say, 'i test drove the prius, and fell in love with it, but after i bought it, i noticed how slow, uncomfortable and noisy it was. and it rattles, the interior is cheap and it handles poorly.' :confused:

#44 bisco, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2015
    Linda, Tracksyde and bwilson4web like this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    okay, our Japanese exchange student doesn't understand technical words, but this is what she can tell me from the picture that I posted above, and the accompanying kanji terms; roughly translated........ - The Gen 4cabin is moved forward a bit, to give even MORE interior cabin room ... the overall outer dimensions are a tad bigger ... AND, best of all ... better "handling /feel" ... for those that are into that. Hopefully some of that's helpful to those who value non epa features as being extra important. That's the latest update from Japan as translated by our exchange student.

#45 hill, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Holly CARP!

Is that a built-in, automatic sun screen???

"Bubba" Bob Wilson

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Coming from a old Toyota 4WD pickup with 31" tires that was so stable it practically drove itself down the highway I had forgotten how to sit up hold a steering wheel properly to drive. Went right over into Prius test drives. I just sold the old pickup last Summer.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? My new car does 0-60 in 4 secs flat. Why doesn't my Prius do this?

How's this different from Prius owners going "Drove my gas guzzler today. I had to double check that there wasn't a leak in the fuel tank. I can't believe that felt normal to me for 6 years. Gonna go trade it in."

It's all relative, right?

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the experience Tesla owners get over Prius is a lot more than just acceleration.

I've heard (here at Priuschat) so many times 'performance' driving getting reduced to only standing on the gas pedal, racing from light to light, 0 to 60 times and such. Gets old to hear.
    A 'fine driving car' has more than acceleration: It's the front / rear wheel weight distribution of the car, how it handles going into, through turns, feel of the steering, the interior design, exterior design, how the brakes feel, etc...

10. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One word I have for you "Lexus"

Tideland Prius likes this.
  11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Closer, but still light years away from the experience Tesla offers (I've owned both).

This really isn't about comparing the Tesla and Toyota/Lexus vehicles, feature for feature.
    It is about the splash in the media that Toyota used to have with the Prius, and that Tesla has now.

I don't see any way that Toyota can reclaim that limelight with the 4th gen Prius.
    Possibly with the hydrogen, although that will, IMHO, be a short lived headline.

And the closer and closer we get to the second gen electrics with 150-250 miles range for $30k - $40k, the less time Toyota has for holding any spotlight.

Trollbait likes this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    it looked like the headliner was falling apart to me.
    ;)

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't see that much media splash about the tesla. sure, it's the latest and greatest for rich folk, and sure, the prius is on the back burner and will be until gas prices go way up. what does media splash have to do with anything? i hear more about how tesla is bleeding money, and looking for a buyer, than i do about how great the car itself is.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    still waiting for the majority of prius owners hear to chime in about all the poor qualities of the car.:whistle:

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, let's see. I think I agree with the general ideas posted in the Teslamotors.com blog, but have to say you can across pretty harsh and in many ways a bit unfair. These are two very different machines and should be compared only in that light. The Prius is an "everyman's" vehicle. It is functional, does an incredible job doing what it is designed to do and is something just about anyone can afford (use if not new).

I, too, have been driving my Prius a bit more lately as it is the vehicle I'm using to teach my 15 year old boys to drive in. And while it is certainly not the cozy, fast, or quiet, it's still a nice functional machine that I would have purchased again if not able to move on to a Tesla.

16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't seen a single thing about Tesla looking for a buyer. To the contrary, Elon has repeatedly said he has no intention of selling Tesla.
    But you're right about the gas price issue. The short sighted creatures that call themselves humans won't flock back to Prius until gas prices climb back up, as they inevitably will. So buy your 4th gen, once available, early so you can smuggly mock the SUV driving fools as they cry about $4.00 gas prices.

Linda likes this.
  17. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is the problem for toyota. The prius used to be the green tech halo, but the hsd no longer seems high tech, and the dash and car design seems dated. Tech halos need to keep up with tech advances, but toyota has been pushing dependability and low price of nimh, and update is taking 6 1/2 years. It pushes the prius from halo to econobox where it needs to compete with the corolla, fit, etc with fuel savings. Not a good thing when fuel cprices are low. The Lexus LSh is a fail for a luxury hybrid, The best toyota does, the ct200h is a lexus but it is far from a luxury car. THe ct200h could definitely use better aerodynamics and more power, but the dash is modern and the suspension uses the latest tech.

Toyota has handed the green tech halo to tesla, by killing the roll out of the prius phv, and pushing the mirai. Most don't even think the mirai is green let alone a car they want in the garage.

Tesla does get a bunch of the false negative stories that the prius got when it was the green halo in the 2000s, it also gets all kind of free pr every time musk sneezes. The north american toyota team, carter and lentz seem to always put their foot in their mouth criticizing tesla, kind of like lutz did when attacking the toyota hybrids.

The prius is never going to be a green halo again, unless they add a big battery and a plug. The mirai team just hired morgan spurlock to make a video to make brown the new green.

Toyota needs to move beyond the prius being a green tech halo, and perhaps focus less on fuel economy and more on making it a better tech car. We should find out soon, when details of the gen IV come out.

#57 austingreen, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Ashlem, Zythryn and Trollbait like this.
  18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The gen2 had uncomfortable seats.:rolleyes:

bisco likes this.
  19. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    The third generation is still a noisy car, didn't improve much; road noise travels uncomfortable to the cabin. To mitigate this, I increase the radio sound volume.

20. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We have GM, Nissan and Tesla all promising affordable 200 mile range EVs, nationwide, in the next 2 to 3 years. Tesla is of particular interest, since they have a proven track record of producing high quality, well designed cars, even without taking the EV drivetrain into account. What has Toyota done for us lately? Limited market plug-ins or EVs that they keep saying they don't believe in, and the pig in a poke Mirai that has zero market or environmental credibility.

The new Prius better be a great car in its own right. Toyota's CEO talks the right game, but so far has not overcome its deeply conservative and often wrong headed corporate culture. Try harder, Toyota. And I say that as someone who likes their PIP (now that I have soft riding tires), and just bought a new HyCam (despite having had serious problems with the 2007 I just traded in).

DavidA, hill and Ashlem like this.