1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Plots Comeback for Prius After Tesla Takes Spotlight

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ggood, Apr 15, 2015.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's about time I go test drive a bunch of cars similarly priced to my Prius. Need to compare.

2. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And THAT is where the Prius wins or loses. I love the Prius. I have 2 2Gs, and we have 5 Prii in the family so far. But if when compared to cars in the same price range, they come up lacking, Toyota is going to lose.

Not that I can afford one right now, but if the Prius were in my price range, I'd be looking at the Volt instead. Being able to have my wife drive it all the way to work on a single charge means that it might never get the tank filled. The PiP CANNOT fit that need. While her current 55mpg or so is great, replacing it with another 55-60mpg or even 100+mpg when we could get an essentially all electric car makes zero sense.

For me, though, with my usage of my Prius, the best replacement would be a v.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    true, but if you make less cars than there is demand, that's the result you will get.

i'm not trying to get tesla owners badge in a knot, my point is that the comparison is ridiculous, and so is every assertion made in the article.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you've laid it out succinctly, but i don't see the problem. toyota is in business to make a profit. to do that, they make and sell automobiles. seems to be wiring out pretty well for them.
    tesla is (basically) a one trick pony. the halo does them no real good.
    toyota wanted to build a car for the future. unfortunatelyfor them, and for all the bandwagon jumpers, the future hasn't arrived.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    actually, since prius was designed to provide low emissions and high mpg's, nothing in it's price range beats it.

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they have nothing to come back from. if they were making a leaf like car, they'd be in the same position they are now, except they would have a leaf like car in the line up. another thing for haters to complain about because it only goes 80 miles on a charge.

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree comparing the Model S to the Prius is rediculous.
    That is not, however, what is being compared.

What is being compared is the chatter. The public, and media view that Toyota once had with the Prius, Tesla is now getting.

Making inflammatory statements such as "bleeding money" is not typically the type of statement someone makes unless they are trying to provoke.

alekska and Trollbait like this.
  9. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The issue is not the car's future so much as the companies future. Telsa's entire corporate plan is future focused. Both Tesla and most EV knowledgable folks are fully aware Telsa is a niche company today with plans of broadening beyond that high end niche.

Meanwhile, Toyota's future only seems to emphasis abandoning the EV and PHEV future market...which is hardly a future niche that will remain insignificant. This leaves the forward thinking Prius owners looking beyond Toyota and the Toyota over-devoted fan club rationalizing how the PHEV and EV market must forever remain a niche.

Zythryn and Trollbait like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the future isn't in our hands. if it were, i'd be in vegas.

11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The future IS in our hands.
    Each and every one of us has some impact on the future.
    Just how big that impact is can vary, but we all have an impact.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    true, but we can't predict it, only effect it. and we really have no idea what effect we have.

13. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but wasn't it a piece at a time? Like a puzzle?

And yeah they are rather tight lipped about the PiP other than to say it'll be 6 months to a year after the Gen IV Liftback comes out.

14. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes they are making a lot of money on trucks and SUVs in the US right now.
    Toyota Reports Surprise Record Profit on U.S. SUV Demand - Bloomberg Business
    But having a green tech halo appears to be important to toyota, and they are spending a lot of money and time on trying to sell the american public that the mirai is it. This seems to be doing about as well as the escalade hybrid + fuel cell equinox strategy of bob lutz and rick wagoner. That strategy lead to underinvestment in things gm should have been investing in. Toyota has deep pockets, and we should see how well they invested in the next gen plug-in when it comes out. I hope they don't pull a lutz.

That halo, got them the ability to issue a lot of low interest bonds and get big money from the state of nevada. That should help them have enough cash to release a higher volume model 3.

Toyota's prius halo probably got them the $350M in government money to open that prius, oops now corrola plant, in mississippi. Toyota has gotten a lot more taxpayer money than tesla, and has $60B in the bank. They probably don't need a halo as much as they did in 2003.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone, exactly what month and year was Toyota 'leaking gen iii / 2010 pics all over the place'? (prior to Jan 2009 unveil at NAIAS)

16. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I would say any leaks that look bad, just look bad.

any leaks that look good, would hurt gen III sales, and they suck already. Why make them worse.
    Good corporate policy says don't leak the gen IV.

Now gen ? plug in leaks might be a good idea, if toyota wants to reduce the damage of its mirai PR campaign. Unfortunately we don't know if corporate has come to terms with whether they want to sell a plug-in or not.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sold on the chart showing November '15 production start for 'Prius' (4th gen). with that, it's too early for any leaks. In September, leak away!

18. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sure we do have an idea. Doing good things have positive effects. The specifics may be unknown, but the karma of it all does play out.

Zythryn likes this.
  19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I've heard of all that before. "This car doesn't handle like a BMW 3 series, therefore it sucks". Not every car needs to handle like sports car (and I don't know about you, but North American roads aren't exactly the smoothest so I'll take my more comfortable, but compliant suspension over firm and harsh. I know tuning's gotten better but you get my drift).

However, I do agree that the Prius is on the sloppy side. The steering has no feel (the 2nd gen sounds like my Logitech G-Force Pro when I turn the wheel and the airbag cover looks like a Sega GameGear controller), the 3rd gen's steering ratio on the 15" wheels is slooow (the 17" alloys steering ratio is noticeably quicker than the 15") and the ride is ok. It's a cheap, compact suspension package with a compromise between "good enough" handling and "good enough" ride comfort (this is with factory spec PSI of course).

With the way the market is now, Toyota needs to find another way to promote the Prius. I think people just expect the Prius to get stupendous mileage and ultra low emissions so Toyota needs tech or ride comfort or suspension tuning, something they would put in a regular car, to get the attention of or to change expectations about the Prius.

But you also have to think long term - you need to get the price down to a small difference, enough that it entices buyers to make the jump and yet you still profit from it. If you keep pushing tech, the price stays high and fewer people will buy it. The Gen 3 was a success (imo) because it brought Prius to the masses. You had people signing up to PriusChat, proudly introducing themselves as new Prius owners and often clearly stating they would've never bought the Gen 2 because the Gen 3 looked so much better.

With Gen 4, hopefully Toyota can do that and continue to keep shrink the cost of hybrid technology.

It was a series of photos of different parts of the car like the LKA camera, the moonroof open/close rocker switch, the A/C button on the fob, the power lumbar support button... that's all I remember.

No but I think it was around Oct/Nov 2008? It was released over several weeks, with each photo showing a 2010 feature (see reply right above)

20. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota knows what they are doing, that is why they are the number one car company in the world, and enjoy taking risks. Remember Lexus, 1980 was just an idea, look at Lexus today! Prius did not sell that well the first several years, but now is the number one selling vehicle in California. Scion division came out strong and is still doing well with the help of the FRS. No one should be comparing Tesla with Toyota. I just don't see Tesla on the same playing field as Toyota. If anything Toyota should be concern with Hyundai another power house who likes to think outside the box and takes risks. Is Tesla better as a luxury car then Prius, absolutely, but they are not being marketed to the same people. 2nd gen Pruis where all the rage in Hollywood and still are to some degree, how many cars can say the same in this day age?