1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Plug-in Coming in 2009

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by BellBoy, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jstack @ Aug 5 2007, 10:17 PM) [snapback]491077[/snapback]</div>
    This is the company from Canada that converted the SDG&E Prius at the Ford Regional Transportation Center presentation I attended. They did it in a few hours. The pack said "Hymotion" and it comes in 20 mile and 40 mile. The representative said they were looking at having them available to the public in the first quarter of 2008. The approximate cost was $5,000 for the 20 mile and $10,000 for the 40 mile. Installation in California was by Pat's Garage of San Francisco. I've got pics that I'll post with my notes when I get a chance. Am still busy for the next few days with house stuff. (Photovoltaic installation today, plus to the dentist for a crown, Orkin doing termites tomorrow, I have to go in to work to unscrew a book order on Wed.)

I find this part of the article particularly noteworthy:

"According to the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI), if PHEVs were manufactured in large numbers, the cost premium of a sedan similar to the Prius would be between $2,000 and $3,000 depending on the size and type of the battery.

The U.S. Department of Energy has determined that to be commercially viable, a hybrid technology vehicle must repay its extra upfront cost in the form of fuel savings within three years of the initial purchase. At 15,000 miles per year and $3.25 per gallon of gasoline, we estimate a typical commuter will save over $2,000 in fuel costs over three years. When gasoline prices rise, the fuel savings will accelerate as well, thus increasing the likelihood of PHEV commercial viability."

Now if they can provide a plug-in option for the $2,000-$3,000 that will return those kind of savings....I'd be willing to pay the extra money for the plug-in. But I'd want to know if it's an 8-10 mile or a 20 to 40 mile.

2. dhsien

dhsien New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base