1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Plug-In Ship Carriers

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by jbrad4, Jan 27, 2012.

1. longterm

longterm Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My dealer said the Rio Grey is expected on the 31st, then cars will be processed on April 9th, which would put the cars into dealerships by the 11th or 12th...

2. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ships always stop at Jacksonville first. Sometimes they go to San Juan PR after Newark like the Andromeda Leader is doing. Rio Grey went out of range before updating its destination. So we have to wait a few days.

Toyota makes the cars, then "sells" them to the shipping company, then the port contractor has them, then it's the freight company and finally they are "sold" to Regional area Toyota USA as they are delivered to the regions dealers. They might be Toyota owned companies but they operate separately from one another. Following a car as it is passed from one to another relies on timely updates from each handler but it's not their priority. The line of cars might be 4000 long, somebody is going to be at the end.

Know nothing temporary car sales people often have control freak sale/office managers. They are not allowed to access the dealer inventory system or even know it exists. They have to go and ask the manager about every little thing you ask. The vehicle inquiry report isn't much more than the window sticker but it does have the invoice price listed for each item. If you see this price you might want a better deal costing the manager money so they think. In their delusional little manager world the internet and all its resources doesn't exist. They never consider that if you go elsewhere to buy they make nothing. And they wonder why they can't keep good sales staff.

A ship with 4,000 vehicles with an average price of $30,000 is carrying $120 million in cargo. A super container ship with mostly electronics might be carrying a billion dollars in cargo.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jozo

Jozo PIP PIP HOORAY!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi gang! So as not to post the same thing repeatedly, please see my most recent post in my pip-a-holic thread...maybe it will help with perspective? Misery loves company? The inmates are running the asylum? A watched pot never boils?

4. StarBrite310

StarBrite310 ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    For those that had cars on PYXIS, have you received your car yet? My C was on there and it's coming up at 7 days tomorrow and I still haven't gotten it :( The port must be REALLY backed up because I seriously feel like I can't wait any longer.

5. jbrad4

jbrad4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    StarBrite, Hang tight it will get there. Luckily for me the PiP's were the first cars through the port from the PYXIS. Mine was at the dealer in Arizona 4 days after PYXIS docked in Long Beach. I never would have guessed it would get there that fast. As a result, I won't be in AZ to pick up my car until a week from tomorrow.

Out of a few thousand cars, your's could be near the end through the port. No one knows. The good thing is that another ship is coming, and they have to get the cars from PYXIS processed and out of there so there's room for the next batch.

1 person likes this.
  6. StarBrite310

StarBrite310 ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for that info. I'm hoping to get it tomorrow, Tuesday at the LATEST!!! I hate waiting :p

7. dfleeman

dfleeman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mine was also on the Pyxis and it has not shown up at the dealer yet.

8. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just trying to add this tread to my list of subscriptions:)

9. OilFreedom

OilFreedom New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For the So Cal folks who also had their PiP delivered to Long Beach recently by the Pyxis: If you don't already have your shiny new Prius, I think your wait is almost over. On Friday, my dealer said I would probably have my car early this week. No promises, but they deduced the timing because they just received the stock number which normally indicates imminent delivery to their dealership.

1 person likes this.
  10. vladkov

vladkov Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    BTW... A friend of mine advised me to check the new PIP for possible traces of radiation, when it comes in. I laughed at him) What do you guys think? It may sound silly... but still.... Is it worth a concern?

11. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  12. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For those waiting for their PiP on the New Century 1, it is now coming into Newark port. Might be able to catch a glimpse as it passes under a couple of bridges.
    Woo Hoo!

:rockon:

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    as opposed to any other car coming from japan?

14. vladkov

vladkov Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, I see your point.... :)

15. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Including many dye pigments used by GM and Ford for their black and red trucks.

Here's a shot of New Century 1 after it passed the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.

Attached Files:

16. vladkov

vladkov Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey Gang... How do you translate this BS into English?
    I just got it in my email.... This happened after a brief talk with Customer Relations Manager at Toyota Carlsbad, initiated after contacting Toyota HQ in LA...
    ---------------------------------------
    PRIUS PLUG-IN | TOYOTA.COM

Vladimir, your new Prius Plug-in is getting closer to you every day. It's now on its voyage across the high seas, and it won't be long before it reaches port. Then, it begins the last leg of its journey to you. Who knew your Plug-in was a world traveler.

Stay tuned. We'll keep you up to date on your Prius Plug-in's travels.

Have questions? Contact your dealer.
    Toyota Carlsbad

17. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Its on a ship heading to California.

1 person likes this.
  18. vladkov

vladkov Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That is really nice to know... Thank you, Drash.

But how do I figure out the day, when I have to come to the dealer and pay? How long will they keep my pip on the lot? What if they wait a day or so.. and then send an email to the next in line: like, here is the PiP you wanted, someone refused it, come and take it...
    (that is how I bought my 2006 Prius)

How do you really know it is at the dealer's lot? Anybody happy-newly-PiP-acquired owners? How did you know it arrived? (I have to travel for business, so, not all the time in town) But I want it badly))))

19. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe this will help: Re: How Long?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by priuskitty
    My car was on the ship March 10. So how long to get to my dealer in:
    Luv Toyota
    215 East Fairmount Ave.
    Lakewood, 14750
    20 days to Panama Canal
    4 days to Jacksonville, FL
    3 days to Newark
    7-10 days to process at the port
    and transport to dealer.
    Total 34-37 days from Mar 10 is 13 - 16 April
    __________________oops, my bad, you're in california, well my boat left March 10th, arrived in California on the 23rd, hope this clarifies it

1 person likes this.
  20. SKrueger

SKrueger New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Here was the time frame I experienced. Shipped out 03/02. Arrived Long Beach 03/19 (1 day later than scheduled to to a delay in docking due to weather). Delivered to dealer (Hollywood Toyota) today 03/26.

1 person likes this.