1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Premium Horn Install

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by WilsonC, Mar 12, 2016.

1. WilsonC

WilsonC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Bought the Toyota Premium Horns (500hz and 400hz) from Sigma Automotive online. It took many months to arrive, the slowest order I have ever had. I think someone possibly swam from Japan to east coast to ship it to me. Anyway here are some photos from my install. This was plug and play, easier than oil change, so everyone can do this.

Tools needed: Very small flat blade screwdriver, stubby phillips screw driver, 12mm and 14mm recheting wrenches, maybe a vice to unbolt the horn brackets.

10.jpg

Remove the top plastic cover to gain access to the horns.

11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg

More photos on the stock horns.

14.jpg 16.jpg

Remove the Toyota emblem so you can reach in to grab the horns. Take off two screws from the back of emblem with stubby phillips screwdriver and gently release 4 clips before removing it.

17.jpg 18.jpg
    19.jpg

Loosen the nut and rotate the new passenger side horn (500hz, matching the high frequency stock horn) on the included bracket, so the trumpet is facing down to aovid water intrusion. I used a 14mm recheting wrench here.

21.jpg

Unbolt the passenger side stock horn with 12mm racheting wrench and disconnect the factory wiring. Connect factory wiring to the 500hz horn then bolt down using the stock bolt. Note the horn casing is touching the front grill slightly so simply bend the bracket by a few degrees.

22.jpg

23.jpg

Bent bracket.

24.jpg

25.jpg

Now on to the driver side. Unbolt the stock horn using the 12mm racheting wrench. Disconnet factory wiring from the horn and set it aside.

27.jpg

Again on driver side rotate the trumpet so it points down to eliminate water intrusion. The bracket was on very tight for me, so I had to use a vice here. I was very careful not to tighten the vice too much because I didn't want to crack the horn casing.

28.jpg

Driver side horn (400hz, matching the low frequency stock horn) installed with stock bolt after connecting the stock wiring harness. Again horn is touching the grill slightly so it needs adjustment.

30.jpg

Bend the horn bracket slightly again so horn casing is not touching the grill.

31.jpg

I didn't have to use the hardware and wiring that came with the horns. Like I said, plug and play, 100%.

42.jpg

Reinstall the plastic cover and you are done. New horns sound great, loud and carry a nice lower European tone to it. This mod took me about 15-20 easy mins, very well worth it.

43.jpg

I didn't record it personally.But there is a link to side by side comparison audio clips. I can't post it here because I am too new to this board.
    Need one more post to be able to add link to my reply.I need one more postHere is the link: トヨタ アクセサリー | 快適・便利 | プレミアムホーン | トヨタ自動車WEBサイトEnjoy!

KLD_Prius_PI_Synergy and bisco like this.
  2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    "Noble sound quality will produce a premium driving."

LOL! Love Google translate...

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, what a difference. very noble!(y)

4. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    BTY, you do not need to use a tiny pick on those round Toyota clips. With you finger, just push them in to unlock.

5. Drewintoledo

Drewintoledo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    good stuff... back in January I was going to put my Buick Roadmaster horns in my Prius :) But.... I didn't realize there were four horns in the Buick. So, I only took 2 of them out and stuck them in the little guy. I never thought about posting in the forums.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OP, great post and excellent pictures. :)

FYI, for everyone, you don't have to spend more for the "premium" horns, the ones in this thread work well too. ;)

Horn Upgrade --- DIY | PriusChat

Audio in linked video in first post.

7. WilsonC

WilsonC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I recently upgraded the horns on my 2014 Prius Plug In, Sigma Automotive is no longer in business so instead I ordered Hella Horns from Amazon. These Hella horns are specifically made for factory Toyota connectors so they are also plug and play just like the Toyota Premium Horns I purchased several years ago. To me the Hella horns sound just as good as the Toyota Premium Horns, but at a faction of cost. Here is the link if you are interested: