1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota president 'sorry to have made customers uneasy'

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Jan 30, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toyota president 'sorry to have made customers uneasy' - CNN.com

As usual, moron/shill Art Spinella/CNW is quoted in this article. Who knows if he actually took a survey or just pulled numbers of his rear? Anytime I see quotes or data from him now, I put no credibility in them.

I plan to drop CNN a note to point out to him all the debunking of his junk science in the hopes they'll stop calling him.

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a good laugh at ABCNews:

Toyota CEO Apologizes: 'I Am Deeply Sorry' - ABC News

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is similar to seeing an article about Apple which includes a quote from Rob Enderle - he is a shill who lists Dell and Microsoft on his list of "clients". Whenever I see him quoted in an article, the whole article is immediately discounted. The same applies to Art Spinella.

4. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    its a protected version.
    to protect him agains bullets etc.
    BMW, Audi and Mercedes have these models factory made.

he is a important person with a lot of money
    poeple like that ned to wurry about these things

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems to me that Toyota isn't handling this from a PR standpoint as well as I think they could. It is difficult with the blood seeking media that exists but I think perhaps Toyota is suffering from the "stereotypical"? Japanese quality of being "shamed" by an incident like this. So you get almost a quiet underplayed response, which comes off as defensive or disingenious when I don't think it's meant to be that way.

In my opinion when the present isn't going too well, you look to the future and you point to the past, which I think are significant assets for Toyota. This is such a fall for Toyota because they have after decades and decades built such a great reputation for reliable and safe cars. Well they should be reminding people of this as much as possible.

The media is going to spin it as horrible or extreme as possible, the sharks are going to circle in the media, in politics, and in the business world. But Toyota could of done a better job and could be doing a better job. Seems like they didn't inform dealers or have much support for their dealers as far as how to deal with this situation. I've watched several reports with "secret camera's" and dealers and salespeople outright lying about the situation and/or openly frustrated about the situation.

You can't really turn this into a positive but I think Toyota could of done and should be doing more to assure people that they have defined the problem and will/are fixing it. Toyota ownership is almost a beloved part of many peoples lives, and Toyota can use that to their advantage. Remind people of the very real fact that despite this hugely regrettable "problem"-that they are solving...that Toyota has had in the past, far fewer recalls then most competitors. You have to try to get people to not think about their new Camry that they will have to take in for pedal replacement and think about the 91 Corolla that they drove for 15 years without a hint of a problem.

Sometimes I think when you take a hit you have to bounce up as positively as possible and "act" like it didn't hurt. I don't know if this "leave us alone, while we figure this out, we are sorry, and highly shamed" attitude plays well. They need a little bravado. Remind people of all the reasons Toyota became the largest automaker in the world, assure them those reasons are still respected and exist, and solve the problem as quickly and honestly as possible.

Clear comprehensive huge one page ads are a step in the right direction. It will be interesting to see them when they come out.

Toyota has been cut and is bleeding and it's fascinating to see the reaction from the Media, Toyota, The Public, and Politics. Toyota can really only control it's own reaction, but needs to try to get the public calm and assured.

6. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    talking about calm
    there are only 26 possible cases in the EU over 1.800.000 possible cars affected.
    thats nothing

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It may be time for Toyoda to start distributing "ribbons of shame" like Assan Motors did.

With all his money & influence you'd think he'd be able to get a Toyota armored up.

8. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

They could have gotten a similar Camry....
    New Armored 2009 Toyota Camry XLE

RIDA Group GmbH: Armored car based on Toyota Camry

Armored Vehicles - BRAMIC, LLC.

Armored Toyota Avalon

But you know, protection against high-caliber sniper rifles and kalashnikovs sometimes isn't good enough...