1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prime or BMW i3-REx

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by EddyCurrent, Apr 15, 2017.

1. EddyCurrent

EddyCurrent New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like to throw this out to the open forum. How many of you considered the i3 with the range extender over the prime and what swayed you to the prime. I was out today and parked next to an i3 and struck up a conversation with the owner he had nothing but good things to say about the BMW. The 2017 will have about 200km electric range then you go on range extender on those rare occasions . If your vehicle requirements are urban commutator with the occasional longer distance trip this car may not be a bad choice.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

We own a 2014 BMW i3-REx and 2017 Prius Prime and they both fully meet our requirements: two 60+ couple with two dogs. Both were sold for about the same amount $28.5k (new) and $29.9k (used) and both have dynamic cruise control and accident avoidance. As of Friday, they both have 2" receiver hitches to carry my wife's wheel chair or tow a light trailer. But there are 'shades of gray' that may sway others.

City driving the BMW i3-REx is slightly better than the Prius Prime. The BMW i3-REx has three times the EV range; 32A charger, and; high-speed DC charger. The BMW i3-REx can do more miles on EV before needing to find a charger and then it has the fastest charge rates. The shorter wheel base, 168 hp rear wheel drive, and 400 lbs lighter, the BMW i3-REx is a pocket rocket, the only car I've been warned about speeding.

Highway driving the Prius Prime is somewhat better than the BMW i3-REx. The Prius Prime gets +55 MPG at 65-70 mph speeds while the BMW i3-REx barely gets 40 MPG at 65 mph and is impractical at speeds over 70 mph because it draws down the battery. The longer Prime wheel base means it has less rocking motion compared to the short wheel base BMW i3-REx. The Prime can go over 600 miles on a single, 11.4 gallon tank which increases block-to-block speed while the BMW i3-REx needs 2 gallons every 60 miles.

If we were giving grades:
    • CITY
      • A - BMW i3-REx: EV range, charging rates, handling
      • B - Prius Prime
    • HIGHWAY
      • A - Prius Prime: gas range, MPG, speeds over 70 mph, comfort
      • C+ - BMW i3-REx
    Bob Wilson

#2 bwilson4web, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    mmyk72, pizzabad and kenoarto like this.
  3. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A business associate has older standard Prius with over 200,000 miles and a 1 year old i3 with range extender and a lot of options; he paid in neighborhood of $40k after all discounts and rebates. He likes it but now wishes he'd waited for the Prime. The BMW has been in shop several times for warranty repairs and once was stranded in Riverside where he lives due to a power outage.
    He has ended up driving the old Prius more than he expected. He doesn't like it because too noisy and low power. He's now trying to figure out how to exchange his i3 for a new Prime. He likes the Prime Advanced for quiet, reasonable power and the lack of range anxiety. He likes all the toys too, being an IT tech nut too.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Must be the EV only BMW i3. Mine is a BMW i3-REx as EV-only cars, even a Tesla, are too limited.

Bob Wilson

5. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    IIRC, even with the range extender, the i3 still has only 200-some-odd-mile range. So, on a trip from Austin to Houston you'd have to get gas ... twice, probably.

iPhone ? Pro

6. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No Bob, he's got an approx. 2+ gal fuel tank range extender; otherwise he'd run into problems with his 70+ mile round trip to work.

7. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have test drive for 4 day's
    2017 I3 Rex
    And so far I'm happy with the car
    Just can't justify 57K $ price that go with
    Maybe I5 upcoming will have bigger APU and 120 KW battery ....and much more room
    I'm looking toward...before i decide between I5 or Tesla

Eventually there will be much more cars with onboard APU like I3 that will give you range without getting more weight coming with huge battery pack's
    Toyota is doing some testing with this option back in Japan

Another thing is one of my fellow employees are doing some home project with brand new Chevy Bolt and I3 rex engine so far he is almost done

#7 Samprocat, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The BMW i3-REx refuels easily, roughly every 60-70 miles:
    • 463 miles - drive home to Huntsville AL from Charlotte NC
    • 700 miles - Huntsville AL to Stillwater OK
    • 700 miles - Stillwater OK to Huntsville AL
    Do your cross country trips using Interstates and you'll find a 24 hour truck stop roughly every 40-50 miles. If not familiar, carry one gallon, spare gas can and no problem. Use the gas buddy trip planner to confirm stops.

Bob Wilson

Agreed but I found via Ebay that completed listing BMW i3-REx went for:
    • $24.2k - item 371882743259
    • $19.8k - item 201852998995
    In my case, I was already looking at the BMW i3-REx so I knew the prices at the time.

Bob Wilson

#8 bwilson4web, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2017
  9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Tell me more about the Riverside power outage? I'm trying to understand how a BMW i3-REx got stuck.

We had a four and a half day power outage in North Alabama when tornadoes wiped out the regional, high tension lines. Athough the local gas station pumps were down, we used the other Prius to reach powered areas only 30-40 miles away to fill-up spare gas cans.

Bob Wilson

#9 bwilson4web, Apr 16, 2017
  10. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bob,
    He said due to power outage, he was unable to charge his i3, which I assume was completely depleted; I don't know his gas tank level at that time. I just saw his old Prius and he told me he'd been unable to charge i3. Of course I had to give him a hard time 'cause he's a friend!

You bring up a good point: I haven't had a gas can in years; I lived in apartments for some 20 years and now have all cordless lawn tools including mower, blower, etc. With my very high range Prii haven't thought about it. I may want to get 1 or 2 cans for my "new" house to keep in the garage for emergencies. At least I could help neighbors who mostly drive gas hogs.

#10 HPrimeAdvanced, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2017
    bwilson4web likes this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you get gas for emergencies non-ethanol gas lasts longer. You should also periodically empty them into your car and refill with fresh gas.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  12. EddyCurrent

EddyCurrent New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can anyone comment on the ride difference between the 2 cars. I have been told the bmw is fun to drive with great handling and a lot of giddy up. The regular prius seems to get low scores on the fun to drive meter.

13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    People have found the Gen 4 (2016+) Prius more fun to drive. The Prime is based of Gen 4.
    @bwilson4web owns and has driven them both. I gather that the Prime would likely need less maintenance than the BMW.

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Fun is a relative term but having 168 HP in a 2,900 lb car, it has a lot of gitty-up and go. It has an excellent turn radius but on some pavements, the forward-backward rocking can be felt that the Prime seems to moderate.
    So far, the used, 2014 BMW i3-REx seems to have a lot of infantile problems: (1) backup camera, (2) fuel cover release, (3) motor mount bolt broke, and; (4) excessive tire wear. The tire wear problem after 14k miles is the one that most bothers me.

The rear wheels have -1 degree of negative camber yet these expensive ~$150/each tires have the shallowest grooves on the inner tread. I've done a temperature test and there is nearly 1F degree rise on the inner tread versus the outer tread. However, the front tires show a similar wear pattern even though they are supposed to be neutral camber.

So I have to choose between: (1) adjust the camber to correct the temperature distribution, or (2) flip the tires so the thicker tread is on the inner part of the wheel. Of the two, I'm leaning towards the second because I won't have to worry about future alignments moving to my non-standard specs. The challenge is getting the tires mounted counter to normal practice. But once done, I won't have to worry about someone trying to 'fix it.' It should also minimize changes to the handling and work for the front tires too.

Before making my choice, I'm thinking about getting a new tire and hub and get some basic metrics. I'm not against adjusting the camber but I want to do this in a way that allows me to adjust it later.

Bob Wilson

#14 bwilson4web, Apr 16, 2017
  15. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the tip. Followed those rules when I did have gasoline storage at home. For now I would just keep an empty gas can should the need for it ever arise. I am surprised at how I feel nearly weaned off gasoline with the acquisition of my new Toy!

16. EddyCurrent

EddyCurrent New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If both your cars where sitting in the driveway which would we be your automatic go to choice. This is for Bob who has the good fortune of owning both.

17. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That's my impression of my friend's i3Rex: niggling, annoying problems that I, as a certified nose picker, just won't put up with. Gimme my Prime! If it ends up behaving (aside from the 2012 PIP lies about EV-only range) as reliably as my 2012, then I'll go back to church! (Well at least, I'll say a thank you prayer)

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This morning I hopped in the BMW i3-REx to chase the dogs after the wind blew the front door open. I glanced at the trip meter and my last BMW i3 trip was 24 miles. The Prime would have easily handled the same trip but I wanted to bust 21k miles on the BMW i3-REx.

Bob Wilson

19. EddyCurrent

EddyCurrent New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got my deposit down on a Prime ( Tech Package Canada ) but still no news on price or delivery .Don't want to wait forever so going to Bmw this week test drive a i3- REx and get some pricing information. My closest friends son is in sales at Budds Bmw so i feel confident I would get a good deal. In Ontario the rebate on the i3 is 13,000 as opposed to 7,000 on the prime. This my play a factor on my decision as well depending again on what the Prime will sell for.

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Let me suggest some short-term, BMW i3-REx options:
    1. Assume the end-of-lease - this limits the time so the Prius Prime can arrive and gives a lot of direct experience with the BMW i3-REx. Careful because it means assuming any issues the first lease holder might not reveal.
    2. Short term lease - I don't know how short the lease can be but it means the car is in effect, rented for the duration. Caution about tire wear.
    It is a fun car but I'm acutely aware of the 50,000 mi or January 2019 limit of the manufacturer warranty. For me, the broken motor mount bolt was a 'wake up': Why the BMW i3-REx | PriusChat

Bob Wilson