1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius 2006 air conditioning ventilation service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by IBGPRIUS, Aug 19, 2012.

1. IBGPRIUS

IBGPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have Toyota Prius 2006 with 62000 miles. The service advisor told me that my car needs air conditioning ventilation service. My car's AC is working well. I always have a cool temperature in my car and I don't hear any strange noises, there is no alerts any kind on car's diagnostic window. Is anybody knows what is the air conditioning ventilation service mean?

2. dbarcan

dbarcan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I can't tell you for sure but maybe they are refering to the cabin air filter. It should be changed every few months. If so, this is a real easy DIY job. Search this blog for detail instructions.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much do they want? it could just be part of their 'scheduled' preventitive maintenance. i would think if it isn't barouque, don't fix it.

4. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Sounds like your dealership is trying to separate you from your money, with no real benefit to you, just say no.

5. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    IMAG1760.jpg sound like the cabin air filter, you can see a photo of one in my photo album on my page. I was going to insert a photo of one here but priuschat site is not letting me at the moment they relay need to work on the ease of use and add drag and drop pictures and cut and paste and not just have that URL garbage.

6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually, I would think there are likely many Bach and Handel enthusiasts here on PC. ;-> (sorry, couldn't resist)

Seriously, to the OP, the cabin air filter is trivial to clean. It does *not* need to be replaced. It can be cleaned with a spray of water, and some compressed air if you have it. If you have not done it yet since 2006, it needs to be done for sure.

The evaporator may need to be cleaned, but if there is no adverse odor and no dripping inside the car, then it can wait. There are some good posts here about A/C evaporator cleaning. Not difficult. Auto stores have the can of stuff to do it.

Nothing the dealer needs to be doing.

7. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Clean that filter I don't think so, you should smell it:sick: I have a another photo of a mouse nest in the evaporator but i'm can't find it now when i do I'll post it. I have came across two rodent nest but only took a photo of one.

Depending what city or state you live in will deposit different bugs, trees, grass, pollen,diesel truck soot, ya most can be shaken out and some it only takes 15k or 20k and its time to replace.

8. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  9. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, looks like the whole fam damily was living in there.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They most likely mean cleaning of the e-coil under the dash. It removes ac odor and keeps the drip tube free of gunk.
    A very wise thing to do every few years.
    Does your car stink? Maybe it does and you can't smell it but they did. Some people can't smell mold especially if your a smoker.
    If the ac condensate tube gets clogged you'll never know till your pass side floor becomes soaked with condensate and then your in for a hassle.
    The carpet sometimes needs to be replaced and the car will really stink. Unhealthy.
    There service uses a 2 spray cans. 1 can is pressurized microbial cleaner foam that is in injected in the drip tube from under the car. That foam fills the e-coil under the dash killing the fungus and then drips back out as liquid. The other can is strong perfume that's sprayed into the air dam in front of the windshield.

I have done this to my car twice so far. The cleaner lasts about 9-12 months. I do not use the perfume can. Its really strong. Its $25 over there parts counter for both cans and special hose kit for DIY or dealer in my area does it out the door for $100.

11. IBGPRIUS

IBGPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thank you, it sounds reasonable. The dealer changed my car's cabin filter two year ago.
    It is probably time to change it again.