1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius 2010 Insurance

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by justaguy, Aug 2, 2010.

1. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow! Insurance fraud can make your rates go up? Who would have thought that. :D

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Last time I shopped car insurance was about 3 years ago, and Ameriprise won. This company is a subsidiary (or maybe a spin-off ?) of AmericanExpress. Customers can call them directly, or go through Costco.

We are old (over 26) and have boring records. 250k/500k liability is $20 a month for the Prius, and the same for the Subaru.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a pretty expensive lesson to me.
    If you make an insurance claim for a $500 accident you deserve to pay higher rates---especially if you jack a few hundred out of the insurance company while you’re at it...(sounds like they're getting it back! :) )
    My deductibles (2 M/C, 2 Autos) are all 1,000 bucks. If I make a claim, it's going to be to cover a serious loss---not to fix a door ding or replace a side window (which if you think about it...is what insurance is supposed to be for in the first place :rolleyes:.)

Between the morons who don't have insurance, and the ones that do have it and try to get over on the insurance companies (mysterious car fires after theft...relatives in the body shop inflating damage claims...under guestimating annual mileages...etc....) it's a wonder I get by for under a hundred a month for my vehicles....

4. nickfromny

nickfromny Member since 2007

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    21 Century = AIG
    Bailout winner.
    They relabled name after 2008 disaster.

5. nickfromny

nickfromny Member since 2007

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Cali is a tough state to insure in. Many mandates and little enforcement on making uninsured get auto insurance. Basicly 1/3 of dirvers have coverage and pay for all of the claims. Similar issue in Florida.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Wawanesa has a reputation of providing very inexpensive auto insurance in CA, but they are picky who they accept.

7. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have State Farm and so far I really like them. They are very quick to respond to claims. I backed up to a ditch and had $2500 damage, replaced a cracked windshield and currently repairing a door ding. No problems at all. I pay $62/month for auto and rental insurance (I think auto is about $55) with $500 collision and $100 comprehensive deductibles and full insurance. I may be able to find cheaper rates, but I am staying with SF since they are easy to deal with. Both agents I had in Michigan and Ohio are wonderful as well.

8. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update - While Progressive was quoting almost $4k/year I talked to USAA (I have access to them through my grandfather's military service) and they quoted $1075 for the WHOLE YEAR!

Amazing. So I'm switching, needless to say. $86/month suits me MUCH better.

So glad I found that.

9. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Progressive was the lowest for me.. how do u get insurance through USAA? I am going to look into that.

10. nicolengr

nicolengr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    State Farm for me, 423/6 months- but we have multi car discount and homeowners discounts.

11. olyprius

olyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Gonna throw in my 2 cents here, went from a 2008 honda civic (engine block crack fears, dont get me started) to a fresh new 2011 Toyota Prius and I saved a good amount of money. 5% hybrid discount and new car discount via geico, a caveman and a lizard would be proud of me!