1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius 2011 Abs Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Arslan Mughal 11, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Spencer Conklin

Spencer Conklin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

2. Spencer Conklin

Spencer Conklin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello Chapman,
    This is exactly the kind of reply I was looking for. Awesome!

You said "so it is definitely in your interest to try to pin down which of the two you need before opening your wallet."

Ok - is this something I should have a shop pin down or is there a youtube (or other detailed guidance). How much should I expect to pay for exact diagnosis.

I will have questions about part numbers and such but until I find out the root cause, I will be waisting time, yes?

One more question, are these things related? If I solve the speed sensor thing, will the accumulator or actuator thing go away.

Thanks again!

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It only needs to be exact enough to pin down "is it something in this assembly or something in that assembly?" as nobody really takes either one apart for sub-assembly repairs. (There might be rebuilding companies who do, but that's another story.)

I would start with the mechanic's stethoscope idea. If the pressure is dropping so fast it needs to be pumped up every four seconds, my guess is you would clearly hear a hiss from one assembly or the other, while not applying the brakes.

That, I would not expect. Here you not only have a code saying the hydraulic pressure isn't holding up, you've also observed the pump having to run every four seconds, which is a pretty clear case of reality agreeing with your code. Any issue with speed sensor signals probably is just another issue.

4. Chan Ry

Chan Ry New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the same problem, 2011 Prius, would anyone recommend getting a used actuator on eBay and take the risk or just get a new one which is ~1200$

Also not sure how much labor would cost tho

Any guidance is appreciated

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You ALREADY have a used part in your car. Maybe you get it used, and it's bad- who pays for labor to replce it again? Or it fails 6 months from now.

I might try used IF I did the labor myself and the part was super cheap.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

douglasjre likes this.
  6. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes buy used. But good luck finding any repair shop to agree to install a used part that you picked up. Nobody in the right mind would do that and risk their reputation. You can do it yourself but I would suggest only an ASE certified mechanic attempt this repair using TechStream. I don't feel like the trial and error method is the way to fix brakes. It's not safe. It's a conundrum for the common man