1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius 2nd Gen. - converted to LPG hybrid

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mandrei83, Jul 5, 2010.

?
  1. Yes

52.4%
  2. No

15.4%
  3. Why not something else? (PHEV, Solar and more)

15.4%
  4. I'm not sure if it worth the investment

24.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Re: Toyota Prius 2nd Gen. - converted to LPG bybrid

I have left gasoline in 5 gal tanks for years w/o a problem. However if you store gasoline for a long period you should add the suppl\ement to keep it fresh. ( I forgot the name of that stuff) One way to check it is to take a small amount in a safe container and light it off. Not technically precise but it works. Incidentally Andrei, That was a great posting and a neat job.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

3. mandrei83

mandrei83 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Guys,

I'm curious.. did someone converted his Prius in a solar-powered hybrid, and has offered more details about his conversion? I saw that there's a site/company named SolarElectricalVehicles, which offers conversion for hybrids using solar energy. They've entered in Guinness World Records Book, as they were the first who build a solar-powered hybrid car. Now, they offer this product commercially.

I've ask them on e-mail and they've told me below things:

"Custom made panel to fit Prius roof we sell the electric converter with the roof. Only $3500 for the solar roof and installation kit with converter"

Did someone made on this forum such conversion himself, full-documented?:D The price is ONLY $3500, LOL!:mad:

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three

You can't get enough power from solar to power the car directly. So you would need the car to be parked for many hours to use for a few minutes. With a short commute and parking outside all day, it may be worth it. But dont expect to drive forever on solar only in such a heavy vehicle like a prius.

5. mandrei83

mandrei83 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Indeed, you're right. From what I've read also, the solar-thing help you to improve the MPG's with maximum 20-30% and you must have good light conditions, preferable clear day sky.

3500USD+batteries => doesn't worth the investment, but if you want to appear at TV as a crazy/maniac echo guy, you may try this.:D At this moment, I formally name my car "The three-hybrid", because it has three sources of power: the HV battery, gasoline and LPG. I'm planning to go with my car at [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacky_Races"]Wacky Races[/ame]...:D

Meanwhile, I've found this topic and the .pdf from attach (the SEV offer). Also, because I see that the people are very interested by this topic, they put questions and they want to know how I've did the conversion, I'll put together with Catalin the full description of what needs to be done and how, in order to install the LPG-system in your car.:kiss: It will be a .pdf with "how-to", step by step. But hold on few days (or 2-3 weeks) to prepare the document, it's quite comprehensive.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV

No toaster ... unlike gas - which starts turning to varnish in somewhere between 3 - 6 months, LPG does not degrade in this way. I have a 35 gallon cylinder bought new in 1998. It's still full, from 12 years ago, except for running the grill and a backup generater a few months ago. Similarly, the Van I'd converted 30 years ago, would sometimes sit for months. And especially nice about LPG is the cold weather starts. Unlike gasoline which is harder to vaporize in sub ZERO temps, LPG is a vapor already ... so it starts easier when it's say, 20 degrees (fahrenheit) below zero. That's why I converted our gas generator to LPG.

And HERE is the REALLY crazy thing. LPG doesn't act like a solvent, and wash out your oil, ultimately making it worthless, along with the other burnt gas byproducts. I used to show people the clean dipstick, and folks couldn't believe that the oil would still look like honey ... even after 10's of thousands of miles. The oil simply didn't get dirty ... it's an ubelievably clean fuel ... for a fossil product. LPG can be hard on valves, but for me, it was an excelent trade off.

Are you kidding? Here - I'll post a map of some of THE most remote driving in the contenental U.S. not too far from our MT house. This is Idaho Montana and Wyoming. If you can find a station here, you can find 'em anywhere:

[​IMG]

Here's the web site so you can check out your own area:
    http://www.altfuelprices.com/

Zoomed out this far, the highly populated states (like CA) turn completely red. I've driven half way accross the U.S. and back on LPG. You may need to make certain the stations are open 24/7 if you're driving in the middle of the night - but you can always find an LPG station by taking the map data base with you, and planning ahead.

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I need to stop using prepositions or something. This will be third time I am trying to point out the problem with PETROL not with LPG. 4000kms+ per tank means stale gas if filled to the brim.

8. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Very nice job you have done. BUT, always a but, right, be very careful to keep a low profile .

1 person likes this.
  9. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

Removed per request by mandrei83

10. error_1205

error_1205 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

@ mandrei83

you said that engine consumes some gasoline during the start. in "normal" gasoline+lpg systems, car uses gasoline to start, and it's recconected to lpg manually or automatically. but, can you switch prius in your system to lpg or gasoline manually. my friend had problems with lpg system in opel astra gtc and she's driving on gasoline only while waiting for parts to come in opel service

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Sadly that thing would have to be consider as "for show" only. Rated at 235W full power the reality for many people would be only about 400 to 600 W-hrs per day averaged over a full year. Since the prius uses about 250W-hrs per mile travelled that corresponds to about two "free" miles per day. By my calculations that would save you about $35.00 in fuel per year.

Wow a pay back period of only 100 years!

12. mandrei83

mandrei83 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey,

Yes, I can switch manually to LPG (in 'colision mode', how it's formally named). By doing this way, the gasoline is not used.. but I'm taking care of not using this mode when the temperature from outside is less than 20 degrees Celsius. I'm affraid not to broke my engine in time. BTW, my friend bought from eBay a full Prius 1.5 engine with shipping to Romania: he paid for engine 400USD (had 17.000 miles run) and for shipping another 400USD with the ferry. The engine arrived in a month, at his door... he didn't pay anything extra!:)

Indeed, you're right and doesn't deserve the investment. Those 630EUR spent on LPG system were almost recovered, because I've drived from May 2010 until now about 10.000Km with LPG..

Great investment, I always say this to myself!

13. Turbobooster

Turbobooster New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1 person likes this.
  14. mandrei83

mandrei83 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Guys, recently, other friend of mine, mounted on his car the Enginer PHEV 4kWh converstion kit; he bought it from www.enginer.us and now he is agreed installer for Romania/Europe, along with other 3 countries on our continent. Here are few pics here.

Prius is the most interesting car ever build!!!:rockon:

DAFTEK likes this.
  15. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

Great! Please keep us informed how the kits work out. Good luck! :)

16. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Thanks for the link. Please check out the southeastern US...I hope the trend will continue but where I drive is not populated with LPG yet...:(

17. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

nice job, unfortunately not cost effective here in Northern California, my LP cost approaches gasoline cost....but the Enginer electric kit is quite nice, need more battery though.

with regards to the solar roof on the Prius, i think it'll be beneficial in the summer to remove hot internal air as Toyota is doing in Gen III

18. tdn

tdn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I now installed LPG on my righ-hand Prius NHW20. Now not Executive - LPG-hybrid drive by north Russia.
    My install is same mandrei only my tank is 42L, i can load is 35-38l propan and this add 500 additional kilometres trip to my car. Picture wtih installation will be late. Price on propan is half of price on traditional fuel in russia.

Atanu likes this.
  19. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

The gas will go bad after a while and wont work if needed, just drop some stabilizer in the tank. you can get it at Home depot in the lawn mower section for a few bucks.

20. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Pictures and details would be great. Where abouts in Russia are you? I've heard RHD cars are popular over in the east near Vladivostok etc.