1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius 2nd Gen, p0a80

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Farhan Khan, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Farhan Khan

Farhan Khan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Guys, 2 weeks ago Triangle warning light came on and battery cooling fan started very fast, due to current situation cannot find any garage to have a look, called a local mechanic and he told me for diagnosing 30£ and if he have to connect his computer he will charge 90£ to find the issue, he came and took an hour, 2 weeks ago i didnt know about the OBD2 and you can clear codes, so he cleard the code and i happily gave him 90£ and the issue came back after he went lolzzz poor me, any ways after research I bought OBD 2 bluethooth and used Dr Prius but still unable to know if its a week cell or battery fan or some other issue as i can see temp or battery back is too high and i read in different places that p0a80 can we triggered by any other issue aswel, I know too annoying to read all my post but if someone can help, see attached pic.

Attached Files:

2. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The answer you seek is in the photo you posted, module (actually module pair) #13 is DOA; likely shorted internally, causing excessive current and heat.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To be consistent, that should be module block (which is a pair of modules) #13 ...

4. Farhan Khan

Farhan Khan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you so much both of you so it means the culprit is block 13, i'm just attaching Screen shot of torque, does this mean need to replace 2 modules?

5. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct, 2 modules = 1 block, 14 blocks = 1 pack.

dolj likes this.
  6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it does, one of the 2 modules is definitely bad. You probably only need to replace the bad one, but most people just replace both with two other second-hand modules that closely match the characteristics of the remaining 26 modules. If you can do a load test (one way to do that here) on the remaining 26 modules and then also the replacement modules, this is a pseudo-capacity test. For good measure, it can be better for longevity to follow the load test with 2 (min) or 3 (better) charge/discharge cycles going down to 5.0 V/module for the first discharge, 3.6 V/module for the second discharge and 3.0 V/module for the last discharge. Then follow this with one last charge up at a slow (350 mA) charge until the voltage tops out and remains stable for 4-6 hours.

If you have a grid charger of some sort, e. g. the Hybrid Automotive Prolong charger that a lot of this community uses, you can reassemble the battery and install it in the car and then charge/discharge and final charge the whole battery as a unit.

If you haven't already come across the information, on a Gen 2, the block and module count begins on the non-ECU side of the battery and counts towards the ECU/Electrical bay as illustrated by this image:

Prius Gen II HV Battery module ID.png

One thing to remember, all the remaining 26 modules that are still functional at this time could also be close to failing (as they have had the same useage and are the same age), so you may need to go back in there and replace another module at another time. You will be doing this until it is no longer fun. At this point, you will need to consider a set of all-new OEM (from Toyota) or after-market (from newpriusbatteries.com). Whether this is an option depends on the overall condition of the car, what other major components have been replaced, and what is your end game as far as keeping the car for the long haul.

#6 dolj, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    05PreeUs likes this.