1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius battery upgrade 2001- how long does the upgrade last?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JamesBooker, Dec 10, 2010.

1. JamesBooker

JamesBooker New Member

Model:
    III
    I heard a few rumors and did my research on the Gen I battery upgrade to a Gen II upgrade. Some say after the normal battery upgrade to a Gen II battery last longer than 100,000 miles that the first (Gen I batteries) tend to last on average. Is this true? And if so, how many years do you believe I would get out of it and miles?

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Your question is a bit confusing. You are listed as having a 2010 Prius which will, most likely, never need a new Traction (high voltage - HV) battery as the generation 2 batteries (starting in the 2004 model year) have proven to be very reliable.

Some third party shops are now rebuilding the somewhat less reliable generation 1 HV batteries from 2001 - 2003 Prii using tested, matched generation 2 battery modules from salvaged HV batteries. They typically cost about $1500 and come with a one year warranty. If they do a good job (ReInVolt seems to), the rebuilt battery should prove reliable, but no one can say for sure what their expected life would be until they prove themselves in the field for years. My choice if I had to make it between a "new" generation 1 battery in a 2001-2003 Prius (may have been on the shelf for a long time) from Toyota for $2200 or a ReInVolt rebuilt battery using Generation 2 modules, I would go for the ReInvolt.

JeffD