1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

*Toyota Prius BT Tech Skid Plate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Primus, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Primus

Primus New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Do we really need this? If so, aren't you guys pissed off that we all bought incomplete cars?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What an interesting first post you've chosen to make. Do we really need shark-fin antennae? Do we really need XM radios? People like to add customized features to their cars. The skid plate certainly isn't essential to the operation of the car but it does offer some advantages that some people would enjoy having. Do you have a problem with that?

3. c.clark5

c.clark5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You could go on and on. Different brand of tires, tinted windows and wheel covers all are extra and offer something to the consumer. Wether it be looks or safety. It is all about choices....touring or non-touring, green, red, white, blue. Skid plate..more safety. Insurance!

4. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is what we called "Mod" (Personalization).

Some mods are just for personal enjoyment and vanity, some mods do have functional enhancement. All mods cause $$ but the car always run fine without any Mods to begin with. No car is 'incompleted' when rolling out of factory, there are regulations for basic safety and functionality before you can purchase it.

Whatever you think it's not there afterward, it depends on how much you are willing to spend/mod it to satisfy your personal desires.

5. Primus

Primus New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Oh my goodness... I was just reading the skid plate link sying that basically all our engine/hybrid compenents are in danger because Toyota didn't give us a skid plate.. And that we should buy it for the protection of our powertrain. I would hardly call this a mod, as the link makes it sound like it should have been standard. VW didn't put a skid plate under their VW TDIs and it ruined thousands of units. VW is a joke for reliability, so I understand.. but Toyota? Come on.

6. Primus

Primus New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius

That's lipstick logic and you know it... If something is missing from our cars, i.e. something that is supposed to protect our engine like an oil filter or a skid plate, it shouldn't be a "mod." It should be standard. It cetainly shouldn't be compared to XM radio options. Of course not all cars need skid plates, but if a car is extra vulnerable to having its sensitive engine components being scraped to death over speed bumps (what the skid-plate link makes it sound like) then by god it should be standard. If you don't think it should be, the next time you want to buy a car, just call me and I will sell you a wheel (a pretty alloy one) and a screwdriver for $25,000.

7. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow.. you guys are getting all hot and bothered about this one!

Well, I for one will probably buy one because a) I've busted my stock plastic skid plate and b) The dealer dealer said it would cost around $600 for them to put a new one in ($450 for the stock part!?).

So, sounds like a good deal for me!

Cheers, and play nice kids.
    Dave

8. fmvs

fmvs New Member

I drive on some dirt roads so I'm going to get one. Anyone know details on the install? Jeff

Nevermind--good postings in the "modifications" section

9. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I started on our BT Tech skid plate design close to a year ago. In that time frame, there have been quite a few people that have damaged engine/transmission components due to inadequate shielding of these parts and have left them stranded.

I never said that if you did not purchase one or our skid plates, your fate would be the same. There are a lot of Prius owners including myself that would like to prevent this from happening. The thought of knowing that these engine components are protected with our skid plate from road debris, parking stops, curbs..etc..etc.. is inexpensive insurance plus it looks really cool too!! :)

10. blazer

blazer prius pimper

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Lighten up Primus. Relax. Take it easy. One day at a time. :)

ahhhh, dont you feel better?

11. blazer

blazer prius pimper

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Lighten up Primus. Relax. Take it easy. One day at a time. :)
    I'm lowering my prius with the Modelista springs and have a
    Fumoto valve, the skid plate makes me rest easier.

12. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Sounds like something in our military budget.

13. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Naaah. You get a free Prius with it.

14. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm def. going to eventually get one of these, or a similar item.

I rented a Camry last summer & the thing bottomed out a few times on fairly easy ramps. The Prius has about the same clearance.

15. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    "2207 Prius-class Shuttlecraft"

hehe, I already called mine a shuttlepod a few times :D

\\ //,

16. tasker109

tasker109 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    skid plate owners......does this interfere with getting to the oil filter and plug? it looks like it covers the whole engine area and the oil filter is right in the front when you open the hood and look down. we dont want to have to remove the skid plate to change the oil......

17. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Primus,

Your intentionally misleading post is nothing more than inducing a chase after a strawman, a technique we identify and learn in debating class.
    Nice, but amateurish try.

ZC1

18. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There are two access holes in the plate, with covers, that allow you to change the oil. You need a 4 mm (I think) Allen wrench to remove and replace the covers.

Just did an oil change. No hassle at all.

19. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i can see the point that PRIMUS was making..........i too was very concerned about the fact where some garbage or things out there can take OUT my very expensive hybrid/engine components.

does this plate effect the cooling on very hot days?

20. ultimate4g63

ultimate4g63 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm interested in this skid plate if it keeps my engine bay cleaner (dirt and salt free) in the winter time. Can anyone confirm if this would be a good for that purpose?

Thanks.