1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius crash prompts emergency court filing

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Prianista, May 28, 2011.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well then its decided since you cant engage CC under 25 mph and i will have to say that 25 mph in a parking lot would definitely be a case of reckless driving

2. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did both tests under acceleration at roughly 35 mph on gulf blvd close to my home .

3. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    While the driver cannot engage CC below a specific roadspeed that does not mean a firmware design flaw that engages CC at even ZERO MPH isn't possible.

What harm would it do, be, if the start/stop depression of the PB ALWAYS required 3 seconds...?

Then driver's wouldn't have to know of a "special", UNIQUE, PB "stop" circumstance with the vehicle underway.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    there is no harm in ignoring the 99 and 44/100th percent solution

1 person likes this.
  5. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

2 people like this.
  6. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    More and more cars have a brake override. I'm pretty damn sure the Gen 2 does, too. So even if the accelerator was stuck, even if power wasn't pressed/didn't respond, even if neutral not used, simply pressing the brake *kills the throttle*.
    Honestly, I would guess quite few.

7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

indeed... In Prius, hitting brakes kills the throttle, end of story... no need to turn off the car or do anything else, just press the brakes.

8. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

vehicle electronics are relatively simple compared to computers... ie it is virtually impossible that only one person in the world would get this particular "firmware" problem.

and you can blame anything you want on "software" i guess, but in reality, there is no history of software-only glitches in cars, and they are a lot less common than hardware glitches.

but again, best thing here is brake over-ride... and Prius already has that.

9. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    something stinks.

they were pretty quick to get a lawyer and start a lawsuit.

all without investgating the car.

10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Its california, everyone gets a lawyer when they buy a toyota, I think its part of the state constitution.:D

The first thing the lawyer did was make sure that the car would be fairly investigated, and not tampered with to destroy evidence.

11. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

the lawsuit started then they want to preserve the evidence.

wouldn't you want to preserve the evidence and then see if there is a bais for a lawsuit first before starting a lawsuit?

and it's the next day!

something stinks.

12. TheBlueWedge

TheBlueWedge New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Not knowing" is not an excuse when the information is clearly right in the manual. A car is a complex machine and it's your responsibility, as the driver, to RTFM and understand what the recommended procedures are in case of an emergency.

13. roverguy78

roverguy78 Elite Lurking Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's amazing how when a Toyota is involved in an accident, it's a runaway vehicle. When it's any other make of vehicle, it's simply an accident.

14. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In most of the country you would, but remember this is california.:D Its the land of sikes, and the govenator sleeping with the ugly maid, and people flying around in private jets telling us to conserve energy, while others are trying to see how many african babies they can collect.

1 person likes this.
  15. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately for this Doctor, he was driving a BMW, so lawyers did not call to represent him for unintended acceleration against BMW. Only Toyotas!

16. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Alice Weinstein vs Audi

the final outcome from a woman that had 2 crashes with her Audi. got other people to sign up to fight against Audi. whining to with media. nothing wrong with the Audi 5000 except the brake pedal was too close to the gas pedal which Audi fix on all 5000's.
    her accidents were investigated to be driver misapplication.

Re: Unintended acceleration

i hope this one and the lawyers get "raked over the coals" by Toyota

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not all 2nd gen Priuses are equipped w/SKS. It is optional. See http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...andard-optional-equipment-some-countries.html.

My former coworker bought a very stripped down used 07 or 08 and it had NO SKS (along w/no backup camera, no aux input jack and the old low res LCD). I verified all of this myself. It had no black buttons on the 2 door handles and hatch. Key had to go in the slot. Some of my former employer's company shuttles also are stripped down and w/o SKS.

I myself usually now disable SKS (via switch under steering column) in order to reduce parasitic drain on my 12 volt and preserve it since my Prius only mostly goes on short drives and isn't driven much now.
    Yep, agreed. It was hard to tell from the picture but when you see the video, it's a Gen 2 for sure.

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    There's video here:
    Runaway Prius: Woman Trapped When Runaway Car Slams into Mini-Mall - ktla.com
    What's up with the, "EAU MUD" license? Isn't that the east austrailian something sand drag group? I duno.
    She says, "my foot was off BOTH PEDALS (emphasis mine) when I was trying to turn it off". Why wouldn't she have her foot on the brake if she was trying to turn it off or stop? Hey ... it a holiday weekend. I've had a couple brewskies my self. Anyone think to give her a blood alcohol test? It aint easy to loose control in a parking garage. Sheesh. And getting down to the court house in record time? Another sheesh. You got at least a year. You'd think she'd want to find out if the ECU's proved she had her foot on the gas pedal.
    Easy now . . . if memory serves me ... it was the bankrupt GM board that first made flying around in private jets most popular. We gotta give the Detroit boys their cudos, when cudos are due.
    ;)

19. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a scenario for you. She accidentally sets cruise control on way in because she was speeding to karate class and panicked took her feet off gas and brake like she stated and car drove through walls and as she got out car was still going because she has sks option and even if you get out with key it still runs. This is probably what occurred. Either way still OP error and woman should be cited. What are the odds that if this is what occurred that they will report this information my guess is about 0.00%

20. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't pull the fob out when the car is on. I know, because I have tried (in the first year we owned it)... sometimes, pretty hard, too! That sucker will not come out if the car is READY.

I call BS on it.