1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius Fails Georgia Emissions Test

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Apr 16, 2007.

1. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Apr 17 2007, 01:19 PM) [snapback]424701[/snapback]</div>
    Huh you mean this box does other things besides play cards. :lol:

2. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Apr 17 2007, 01:19 PM) [snapback]424701[/snapback]</div>
    It's really not bating.

In NJ new cars are tested every 4 years, I think.

If cars are tested every year in GA, why should the Prius be an exception?

3. amitandrima

amitandrima New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Apr 16 2007, 10:11 PM) [snapback]424410[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe most of you are already aware of this, but at one time I did get the engine to run in "Park" by pressing the gas pedal all the way down. I did not expect anything to happen while the parking was enabled but the engine kicked in when the gas pedal was pressed down further. It sounded like it was running at a constant rpm. I wish I had CAN view or something to record the rpm.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Apr 17 2007, 10:44 AM) [snapback]424648[/snapback]</div>
    No hypocricy. It is special, but it is just like any other car to drive and that's the real beauty. There are differences from conventional vehicles and no one here has ever tried to ignore that or say otherwise as you're suggesting. You're trying to confuse 2 different issues, and it sure seems like baiting to me.

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Apr 17 2007, 10:58 AM) [snapback]424728[/snapback]</div>
    They could test the car every year if they want to, but the point is they need to use a valid testing method. They either need to waive the test (as done in Calif) or modify the test to account for the differences in hybrid operation (as Calif proposes to do by 2010).

Its obviously a waste of time and money to continue to test when the test isn't valid. It isn't helping to reduce emissions which should be the whole reason for testing in the first place.

6. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Almost had this problem in Nevada. I had to be tested becasue I moved from California.
    At least the slack jawed yolkal at the Vegas testing station knew about Prius and just told me to pump the throttle to keep the ICE reving fro the test, and viola! I passed.
    I guess they must be first class morons in Georgia.
    (I already know CNN is full of first class morons, so no surprise at their telling of the story)

7. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Apr 17 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]424773[/snapback]</div>
    Did you see the story on CNN? It appears not. Most of the story was told from the viewpoint of the Prius drivers and how insane it was to make them get their car tested when they knew the test would be invalid.

8. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Texas911 @ Apr 17 2007, 12:31 AM) [snapback]424455[/snapback]</div>
    Well, it is the state where they had to put warning labels on biology textbooks that mention "evolution."

9. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 17 2007, 02:22 PM) [snapback]424749[/snapback]</div>
    Well, maybe it's thin skin?

To me, if they require yearly testing for all cars, I don't see why the Prius should be exempt.

10. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Apr 17 2007, 02:50 PM) [snapback]424773[/snapback]</div>
    What is anyone without a college diploma automatically a yokel or is it just because he works with cars for a living. Does his job make him less of a person? I’m just curious because you act like he is automatically stupid because of his job.

11. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Apr 17 2007, 01:58 PM) [snapback]424728[/snapback]</div>
    No one is saying they should be, just that it's an option the state could choose. Lots of places give new cars an automatic waiver from inspections for X years and don't require it until they have some miles on them. That's another option. Maybe that would give them some time to figure out how to do it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Apr 17 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]424792[/snapback]</div>
    Or maybe just a quick review of your post history :)

Like when you selectively choose one option people have presented and post like it's the only thing being discussed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Apr 17 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]424792[/snapback]</div>
    You're ignoring the 'or' in his statement. Where I am the testing is on the same schedule as other cars. The responsible department is just a tad more competent.

Also, see above re: selective arguments :)

12. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Maybe I missed something, but if the engine if OFF when idling, wouldn't the emissions be ZERO ? How can a ZERO emission (when idling) car fail a state emission test?

It reminds me of the requirement for AWD cars in California. My Subarus can only be tested at idle because the 2wheel dynos that they mandate isn't comparible with the Subaru's full time AWD. At first I had to argue with the tester guy. One even called Sacramento for confirmation on not placing AWD cars on a 2 wheel dyno.

Bureaucracy is a wonderful thing.

13. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Apr 17 2007, 03:36 PM) [snapback]424811[/snapback]</div>
    Wow!

14. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Apr 17 2007, 12:36 PM) [snapback]424811[/snapback]</div>
    I always remind the Smog Tech that my Explorer is Auto 4wd because I'm afraid they will try to put in on the dyno. The last time the tech got irritated and said "I know that, I'm a Smog Tech". I felt like a jerk because he was insulted, but I would rather be thought a jerk than have my truck take off without a driver.

Later when I went back to pick it up, they had locked the keys inside with the engine running. Guess they didn't cover that in Smog Tech school.

15. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In Texas, if you don't pass the test, you just walk. You don't pay because you fail. What a scam Georgia is playing on its citizens.

16. jeneric

jeneric New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Apr 17 2007, 12:36 PM) [snapback]424811[/snapback]</div>
    Our state requires the CO%+CO2% to be above 6% for tailpipe tests. I guess to make sure they're really getting emissions, and the actual emissions aren't being diverted somewhere besides your tailpipe.

17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Apr 17 2007, 12:58 PM) [snapback]424728[/snapback]</div>
    In NJ a new car has a dealer inspection sticker valid for 4+ years. I bought in June and the sticker expires in October 2010. After that the car is inspected every two years at a state site for free or a licensed private garage for $$$.

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Geez. 3 threads on this topic, everyone with opinions, not one person from GA. Lot's of name calling directed at the rednecks, morons & yokels (correct spelling, by the way) here. Almost thought I was in Fred's House of Pancakes for a minute there...

I personally don't have much experience in the Prius inspection area since I have an '05. Only '04s and earlier need to be tested in GA this year, so there is a dearth of hybrids in Atlanta for these folks to have experienced for testing. It's only 3 months into what I would label as the first year for Gen II's to be under the scrutiny of the man, so I'm sure it'll all work itself out shortly.

19. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You guys must never use your A/C's. (When I lived in Silicon Valley, I rarely used mine.) I've had my ICE come on even in reverse here in Austin. The car hasn't even seen a TX summer, yet. :angry:

All they have to do is crank the A/C down in the Georgia summertime. Then, the ICE will start.

There are tons of Pree around Austin. I have no idea about Atlanta or Savannah. (How does the Pree hold up in coastal environs?)

20. iaowings

iaowings New Member

I know in Jacksonville North Carolina the ac works very affectively. If you get stuck in traffic for long periods of time with the ac blasting prepare for the ice to cycle on and off over and over again; oh and just ignore you soc and let the car take care of it. you will still get great gas mileage but in 90f+ temps and humidity not using the ac is not an option imho. I had a friend in the navy who grew up very poor and never had ac so when he bought his first car it didn’t have ac and it didn’t bother him to sit in traffic sweating but I cant stand it. also with the ac on you will loose distance on the electric only mode. I have noticed once the auto ac has cooled the cabin and the fan has slowed down the compressor comes on and off increasing performance. I keep my inside temp between 74-76f and have no problems (I like those temps) a friend with an 04 prius sets his at 70f and we see similar performance in mpg and all that.