1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius Gen 4 to Gen 3 Engine swap issues!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Debo160, Apr 21, 2022.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Replaying an old post ...

Further pinning down the cause of your -612 (-614 in your case) is likely to require a specialized instrument known as a 'megger', or access to a person who has one and knows how to use it. There's a bit of discussion of those instruments here.

[The word is short for megohmmeter, a special tool to measure resistances in the millions of ohms, which an ordinary multimeter would just show as "doesn't conduct". It is also a brand name; the best-known brand of megohmmeter is Megger.]

A megger can look deceptively like an ordinary harmless multimeter, but can put out 500 or more volts during testing, and ruin your day. Test voltages that high can also be stored in the item you are testing, and surprise you after you think you are done.

So, if you haven't been trained on one before, you might try to find someone who has to help out. Or, if you order one of your own, use the time while you're waiting for the shipment to arrive to read the Stitch in Time document (found following the link above), paying special attention to the safety parts.

That's a very helpful document that will tell you a lot more than the brief manual that might come with an instrument (especially if you go with a cheap Chinese one, that might come with one page if you're lucky that shows how the batteries go in).

[That old post had a link for the Stitch in Time document that seems not to work anymore. This one still seems to, as of today: A Stitch in Time]

#21 ChapmanF, Aug 25, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  2. Debo160

Debo160 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Welp I might have finally cracked the code. After looking at another tread about code 624. I decided to pull the compressor and repair the bad connections. I have soldiering skills it can't be but so hard. I pulled the compressor only to find that it is smashed. Im not sure how me or my mechanic over looked this when putting the engine in. When I seen it it was almost kicks of joy. But I can't until the lights go off when I put in the replacement. As I pick up the compressor to carry it to the trunk water spills out of it all over me. I laugh as confirmation of a win.I had another from a 2010 junk car but it has a different wire connections. So im going to find another high voltage wire or a compressor that will fit and I will let you know how thing go. What a ride!!!
    IMG_1229.JPG IMG_1236.JPG IMG_1231 2.JPG

Attached Files:

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is the AC compressor? There’s been quite a few reports here, of pressure-washed engine bays resulting in water incursion, corroded connector pins, ultimately meaning a bricked component, at the compressor’s 12 volt connection, which sits like a little “rain gauge”, facing skyward atop the compressor.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Must have taken quite the pressure wash to accomplish the smashing of that compressor....

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hey, I can always count on your dripping sarky...

6. Debo160

Debo160 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeap that's the compressor. Because folks have been talking about those issues I wanted to pull mine and check it. Glad I did.

7. Debo160

Debo160 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    LOL yeah there was a car attached to the pressure washer and they smashed it into the car the engine was pulled from. LOL

8. Debo160

Debo160 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Well for the first time since the engine swap. The car is running without the hybrid light on. And i drove it for almost 40 mins without a issue. The compressor change solved the issue. It hasn't stalled out since the compressor change. Crosses fingers that it continues. Looks like I still have a couple things to change. I will do a update later to confirm.

ASRDogman and SFO like this.
  9. Debo160

Debo160 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ok back for a bit of a update. The car is now running I have done a lot of running in city driving. What ive noticed is that the car seems to always have high rpms. So if im barley touching the gas it seems to rev really high. On the highway it seems to struggle. The rps are always high. Not sure if anyone has ran into a issue like this but if so give me some info. Thanks again.