1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius is best selling car in California (so far for 2012)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Oct 19, 2012.

1. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It shows, when you drive around or park in a parking lot here, a Prius is just another common car. Even conservatives are buying them;)

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've been going to California now once or twice a year the past several years and it does always amaze me (in a good way!) how many I see driving around there. You would think you'd see more here in the city but people here just embrace those big Escalades/Navigators or $50k+ Mercedes/BMW's...

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you're in Nor Cal, I should drive you around the stores in my neighborhood. Although there are plenty of Priuses, there are PLENTY of monstrosity class SUVs (e.g. Tahoes, Yukons, Suburbans, Expeditions, w/some Escalades, Navigators and Hummer H2s thrown in the mix). :(

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Given the California gas prices, I would love to see a state-by-state sales breakout for October.

Bob Wilson

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the 2012 front end with black lip and LEDs. It looks pretty sweet coming at you. The c and v helped. :p

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The truly odd thing is that this surprises anybody.

Uber-Reliable
    Uber-Functional
    Lowest TCO (CR)
    Lowest Enviro footprint of them all

Californians are just being rational, despite their stereotype

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

Really? No Armadas, Sequoias, Range Rovers, Land Cruisers, MB GL's or R's, Lexus LX/GX's, Audi Q7's or Infiniti QXs sell in NoCal. Interesting. :)

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are very few all of the above you list in my area, esp. Audi Q7. The majority seem to be American brand monstrosity-class SUVs w/a few Seqouias thrown in.

Lexus LX isn't quite monstrosity class in terms of weight, but is close.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those are up here in the Granite Bay area. :)

xs650 likes this.
  10. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It is not uncommon to stop at a traffic light in Southern California and see 3 or 4 of them lined up. In my conversation with the Fleet Dealer Manager he said his dealership sells Hybrids better than most. Every 10 cars sold 6 are a Hybrid. Most of the increase is recently. Priusis is the preferred model. I can say that my monthly cost for gasoline dropped was over $300 per month is now under $120.

xs650 likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe those are found in SoCal? ;)

12. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes in Southern Cal. Carlsbad, CA.

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The isolated to California gas price spikes have a lot to do with it.

Bob Wilson

14. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree. California gas prices have skyrocked up with a refinery outage, winter blend being produced and un released and a lack of competition with many gas stations corporate owned who keep prices high and margins high. California gas has an extra refinery process that also adds to the cost thus making the citizens pay higher than national average per gallon. This coupled with a challanged economy may have contributed to the Prius Popularity. I can also say that purchasing a Prius is making a statement on air quality and oil importing that attracts California buyers to some extent who are sensitive to this issue perhaps. For others the ability to get 50 miles per gallon in a mid sized car and use less expensive 87 Octaine helps. When I purchased my Prius my last car was a 2006 BMW 325i that I purchased new from the dealer in 2005. I promised myself I would never purchase another money pit BMW with $1,000 tune ups and $1,200 run flat tires and $160 oil changes. For me reduced maintenance costs and bettre gas mileage was a hot button. I also like all the data and smart phone integration with entune etc. The guy I shared the waiting room with who purchased a Prius (PIP) car traded in a 3 year old Land Rover. The guy was a Lawyer. Prius attracts people from all spectrums.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah... there's a reason why the joke about BMW sometimes is "Behold, My Wallet", "Broke My Wallet", "Big Money Waster" or "Brings Me Women". ;)

Even a former coworker of mine who doesn't like Japanese cars would tell me that maintenance on his Audi A4 was usually "a grand here" and a "grand there". He ended up switching to an 02 or 03 Nissan Altima V6 (this was back in 02). He liked the engine but would keep saying "Japanese cars suck!" because he didn't like the Altima's handling.

Last I heard, he migrated to a Honda Fit.

JMD likes this.
  16. bugly64

bugly64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have one , Chevrolet 2500 Suburban, Monster Class SUV, and a 08 Prius in my garage. The Prius gets the miles on it and the SUV takes the herd (7 of us) to church on Sunday's. I am a conservative and bought my Prius for mpg's used. I also have solar panels on my roof, so I don't give PG&E (the devil) any more money.

17. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Perhaps the ultimate would be Solar Panels on the roof and PIP in the garage. I haven't looked at Solar in the home in years but when I did it was expensive. I have a newer small house 2,036 square feet living space with elec under $200 a month so the cost for solar exceeded the savings.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That is a lot of electricity. My electric bill will average $15 - 20 a month this upcoming year.

19. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    $2400/year is not that low for electricity. How much do you average per kwh? It sounds like the numbers could easily work for you now. Remember there are federal and state incentives.