1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota Prius sales have tanked, 4 reasons why

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Ashlem, Feb 9, 2018.

1. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 42-46 MPH limit was removed through a higher MG1 rev limit, not the one-way clutch.

In fact, the Gen 4 Liftback's engine off speed is no longer limited by MG1, but rather by cooling - it needs the engine to run the transmission oil pump, so it's artificially limited to somewhere between 68 and 73 MPH with the engine off. With the Prime's electric pump, it could mechanically do over 90 MPH (taller gearing than the Prime) without exceeding the MG1 limits.

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would have expected that pump to be electrical since the engine has no belt.

3. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's inside the transmission, driven off of the input shaft on the Liftback, but electric on the Prime.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is low power and low speed. It would have disappointed most looking for AWD in the US; leaving a negative impression.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes but this slots nicely in between the 1.8 litre (for max fuel efficiency) and the 2.5 litre (which is meant for larger cars like the Camry).

This 2.0 litre engine can be used either as a performance version or for something that is not quite as large as the Camry but where 1.8 litre isn't enough. For example, a Prius v or a RAV4 Hybrid elsewhere in the world where they don't need as much power as North America does.

In the Toyota link, it sounds like they're going to offer the next generation Auris with two hybrid powertrain options - I assume the second option is the 1.8 litre HSD in the Prius/current Auris. Just like a car is offered with a 4 cylinder and a V6 option.

Another speculation is that the 2.0 litre HSD is the hot hatch version (recall that Toyota wants to make a "Hy-Power" variation of hybrid vehicles TOYOTA C-HR Hy-Power CONCEPT    )

6. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The ~160 hp that I expect this system to have just isn't enough for a hot hatch, though.

I could see it making sense for a warm trim of the Auris, but to actually make a hot trim, they'd have to put the 2.5 from the Camry in there.

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hot hatch sounds better than tepid hatch though.

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  8. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Note that in the Auris's class in Europe, 160 hp is at the higher end of what's not considered a hot hatch. You'll have a tier around 75-125 hp, a tier around 140-180 hp, and then hot hatches starting around 200-270 hp, with another class above that at 290+ hp.

Meanwhile in the US, it's right in what's considered normal hatch power, with the current Corolla iM's 140 hp being pretty low. (The two tiers of hot hatch are a thing here though.)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    B4 reading this thread
    I watched the another of the D-4S (5) videos and wondered what vehicle it was destined for.

caution: the video linked moves kinda fast and audio track is from a highly dramatic move scene.

There is a slower paced video on that channel that emphases the electrically powered computer controlled devices
    that help reduce emission conditions
    The other video also explains some of the reasons for efficient fuel use, as well as reduced losses in 5 categories,

LasVegasaurusRex, RCO and Montgomery like this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Would the A25A be too heavy for an Auris? Would need a bit of tuning to scrub off that understeer tendency.

RCO likes this.
  11. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with all four. Much more options available to buy now. Plus, the stigma of the name "Prius" carries can be passed over by buying the alternative.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not having a Gen-4 Prius but a Prime, I'll have to hold off on the MG1 forced, engine ON threshold. The 41-46 mph boundary was in our old Gen-3 and in the Prime, I can not 'defeat' the one-way clutch. Just I'll share that since the Gen-1, the usual suspects who hung out in 'Prius Technical Stuff' coveted an MG1 clutch. No one had proposed the Prime one-way clutch that turned out to be a very clever solution.
    The SAE paper on the transmission discusses the sling cooling that apparently provides plenty for EV operation. My transmission oil study shows the oil isn't stressed beyond some initial manufacturing debris. As for that electric, transmission oil pump, it looks to just to pass the oil through the engine coolant heat exchanger. I would expect it on the Gen-4 Prius but don't have one to check.

Bob Wilson

13. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That 1.8 litre is different in the current Auris from the 1.8 HSD (2015-) in the 4Gen Prius and the C-HR. The current Auris still features the 2009-2015 version, like the CT200h.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  14. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I mean, it'd add weight, but there's been plenty of warm and hot compacts using ~2.5 liter 4-cylinders, including some Toyotas.

The previous-generation US-market Matrix/Corolla XRS had the 2.4 liter 2AZ-FE.
    The Mazda3 has a 2.5 liter currently (although that 2.5 hasn't made it to Europe except in the CX-5 for fuel economy reasons, I believe) and has previously had a 2.3 liter even in Europe.
    The 2005-2007 Focus ST had a 2.3 liter.
    The second-gen European Focus ST and RS had a 2.5 liter turbo I5.
    It wasn't that long ago that Golf GTIs even had 2.8 liter iron pigs of VR6s in the nose. (That really did hurt handling.)

Tideland Prius likes this.
  15. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not just the engine size, it's the whole hybrid system including bigger battery that wouldn't fit in Auris/Corolla. Current Auris has the battery under the rear seat, same as Gen4 Prius, the new battery in 2.0 hybrid will be just a little bit bigger so it will probably fit in the same place.

16. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is certainly a concern, although given that, IIRC, the Li-ion packs are smaller, maybe the Camry Li-ion pack would fit? There's not that much width difference...

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Battery power/weight ratios are getting better and better .... as well as cost per kwh.

LasVegasaurusRex and pilotgrrl like this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ~165hp for the non-hybrid version
    ~140hp for the hybrid version (so your 160hp estimated net hybrid system hp seems reasonable)

telmo744 likes this.
  19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In a time of exploding SUV/CRV sales, maybe it wasn’t a good time to slightly lower the Gen-4/Prime.

Bob Wilson

hill and Merkey like this.
  20. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Note that the US isn't the world, though, and AFAIK Japanese sales are compensating for American sales.

Also consider that a gas price spike will cause people to panic and buy Prii again.