1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota Prius sales have tanked, 4 reasons why

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Ashlem, Feb 9, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And ink for press releases.

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  2. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This surprises you? You don't think the people at Whole Foods do the same thing? LOL. Once you have been in a restaurant's kitchen you eat at home. That sausage that mopped the floor? You eat that kind of food every day.

vvillovv and RCO like this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is always the 5 second rule

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    the great thing about being negative is the notion that once the negative person is proven wrong no one remembers them. Example, "Oh, that industry is going to fail for sure..."
    If it fails, the negativity person gets to say, "see? I told you so" And everyone thinks he's a genius. (he believes)
    If the business makes Fortune 500 for the next decade, no one even remembers mr. negativity, & mr. negativity won't go around reminding the world how he was full of it. No - the world is just happy another business entity is successful. So either way (he believes) it's a win for mr negatively - even if only because being negative is easy .

HPrimeAdvanced, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It may take something catastrophic, unfortunately. There are some, no, many that refuse to face facts.

Me too, they are rushing because they are late? leave earlier. Almost saw a head on collision right front of me. today, Guy (PU) passed me on a double yellow line, I immediately slowed down to give him more room. 55 Zone, I was in no hurry and enjoying the scenery, doing 50. He probably didn’t even know there is scenery. He probably scared the Hell out of oncoming traffic. This is on art 49 S, one lane in each direction. He could have taken out 2 other cars plus himself. I had dropped way back into witness agenda. I estimate he was doing 75 to 80. WHY ?

#145 Andyprius1, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2018
  6. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Eww! I have an acquaintance who picks up and eats food she's dropped on hospital cafeteria floors, claiming the 5 second rule.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

HPrimeAdvanced, padroo and RCO like this.
  7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was specifically thinking of Non-Plug In Hybrid Prius.
    But I think your reality underlines a point. The highest MPG...plug In Prius..Prime, is probably also the Prius product garnering the most interest.

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Anyone else notice the effort to make a vehicle styled to stand out vehicle has been given a stigma by using the "polarizing" label?

People unknowingly pick up on the term and pass it along. That's how you effectively undermine a product. Those excited about it not being like everything else on the road is the trait that antagonists attack... relentlessly, using the label so often in a negative context that it eventually becomes a core part of the narrative they wish to portray. That effort to impede does indeed work too.

We have seen this quite a number of times with Prius history. We have also seen the reverse. Remember the SUV back in the mid 90's? Those wanting them to become a daily commute vehicle gave it the "car" label. That seemed absurd at first to be calling a vehicle with heavy-duty suspension, aggressive tread tires, and 4-wheel drive something you'd drive everyday to work a "car". Yet, the term caught on to become the norm anyway.

Long story short, ask yourself why "polarizing" seems an appropriate fit. Do you really want a vehicle that looks like everyone else's, plain and about to become outdated?

10. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    TY Are you in Area 51 ?

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's an overused cliche, but is used because it's often applicable.

Polarizing, also is a blade that cuts both ways.

I heard the term polarizing used in relationship to the the Gen 2 and Gen 3 Prius, because of their "door stop" bland utilitarian looks.
    * I always liked the looks of both generations.

Now I think polarizing, is used in relationship to the latest Generation, not because of it's "plain" utilitarian look, but because of Toyota's attempt to mainstream the Prius even further, and make it look "Sportier".
    Remember at the Vegas release of the Gen 4, Toyota went out of their way to herald the beauty of the new Prius.

Polarizing is Polarizing.
    It's a label, and maybe an overused label. But it just happens. We the consumers determine whether the styling of vehicle draws us to it, or pushes us away, and sometimes the gulf can be big in that regard, and then? We call the styling "polarizing".
    I wouldn't define it as a randomly applied stigma. Just a label that vehicles often earn.

Mendel Leisk, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  12. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you forget that the word "car" is the abbreviation of the original word "carriage" as with a horse carriage (drawn by horse), of motor carriage (propelled by motor). The simplistic form is only more recently used to separate from the other newer models of transport.

bisco and pilotgrrl like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if a car is polarizing, it's polarizing. no negative context necessary. toyota designs prius intentionally to be polarizing.
    it's not clear why.

if it was just another 30-35 mpg gasser, i wonder how it would sell.

RCO and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's been posted quite a few times now...

It's their next step forward. As the entire fleet gets the hybrid option and the plug is introduced, the non-plug becomes a standout.

RCO and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh, now i get it.(n)

RCO likes this.
  16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Think of the roll Corolla hybrid will play.

17. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ya know, I remember a turd of a car, it was called the VW bug, one of the ugliest cars, still on the road!! But MARKETING made it popular!! It's still a turd, but many, many fools, including this writer, have owned this turd. It's called brainwashing; this sells many other turds in America! The Prime, with it's very few minor faults, is no turd!!
    The masses of peasants need to be educated, informed that driving the current aggregation of turd cars is not sustainable in the LONG haul. This ain't "gonnna" happen overnight. Watch all the dimwits panic when gas EVENTUALLY hits $5/gal+ here in the U.S. My dad pays circa $7/gal in France where driving a 15-20 MPG turd is just plain stupid. Not everyone has a 10 person family that needs a bus to drive around, and most people commute SOLO to work or run errands. As the American population ages, it has less and less need for these dinosaurian lumber wagons. And you know where the dinosaurs are now! We NEED lighter, lighter, lighter cars; smaller too. If you lose a 1000 lbs, and keep the same horsepower, your dreams will come true. As the other guy said, the bottom line is in the details, which include RELIABILITY. Toyota offers that in aces!!
    Now go build me my Prime Advanced Superleggera Coupe!!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

18. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sure prius is Polarizing, Polarization - Wikipedia like most everything else we experience daily.
    Many things are also pitched to us subliminally Subliminal stimuli - Wikipedia
    Then there are the systematic matrices which are more often than not overlooked as we go about our daily lives
    Matrix | Definition of Matrix by Merriam-Webster
    Matrix (mathematics) - Wikipedia
    Matrix | definition of matrix by Medical dictionary
    After all most of us here are human I suspect and as human sensors can only detect so much of the activity happening in our environment, we tend to not notice a lot of stuff.

on another note: wasn't the 5 second rule originally the 3 second rule?

#158 vvillovv, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Toyota sells 1.52 million electrified vehicles in 2017, three years ahead of 2020 target | CORPORATE | TOYOTA Global Newsroom

Toyota sells 1.52 million electrified vehicles in 2017, three years ahead of 2020 target

Milestone puts Toyota on track to achieve its 2030 target of 5.5 million electrified vehicle sales per year as part of its "Environmental Challenge 2050"

TOYOTA CITY, Japan―When it comes to global environmental leadership, the number of vehicles that customers buy around the world have a greater impact than the number of concept cars launched at motor shows. Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) announced today that it reached a major milestone in annual sales of electrified powertrains in 2017 with over 1.52 million sold worldwide. The figure was an increase of eight percent over the prior record set in 2016, marking back-to-back years of growth and accomplishing one of Toyota's Environmental Challenge 2050 targets, selling more than 1.5 million electrified vehicles in a single year, three years in advance of the original target set for 2020. Additionally, cumulative sales of electrified vehicles now exceed 11.47 million, which represents a reduction of more than 90 million tons of CO2 compared to sales of equivalent conventional vehicles.

"In just over 20 years, we have seen electrified new vehicle sales increase from under 500 sales to more than 1.5 million sales," said Shigeki Terashi, executive vice president, Toyota Motor Corporation. "This is a testament from our customers to the quality, durability and reliability of our electrified powertrains, and, thanks to them, has led us to establish a solid and sustainable foundation for mass producing a more diverse portfolio of electrified vehicles across our range moving forward."

Since the introduction of its first commercially available electrified powertrain on the Prius in Japan in 1997, Toyota has worked at improving the technology as the basis for its electrification efforts, having launched first mass-produced Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle, the Mirai, in 2014, the fourth generation of the Prius in 2016, and the second-generation Prius Plug-In Electric Vehicle in 2017. The company will continue the development and diversification of electrified vehicles as it now turns its sights to include the mass production of battery electric vehicles from 2020, starting in China and India, followed by Japan, the United States and Europe. Toyota also aims to further expand sales of hybrid electric vehicles in emerging markets to further contribute to lowering CO2 from new vehicles sales worldwide.

The efforts to improve and increase the diversity of electrified power train options is tied directly to Toyota's 'Environmental Challenge 2050', wherein the company aims to achieve annual electrified vehicle sales of 5.5 million units by 2030, as announced in December 2017. To achieve its goal, Toyota unveiled plans to have 10 BEV models available worldwide by the early 2020s, and from around 2025, the company aims to have an electrified version available for all vehicle models across its global lineup.

Prius is more than a Japan and USA ride. If others don't like the way it looks, they can close their eyes.

Bob Wilson

20. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It wouldn't surprise me to see Tesla Terraforming of Mars - Wikipedia in a couple years.
    Anyone noticed the difference in available Level2 and Supercharges on PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You in the last 2 years?
    Two years ago it was really "difficult" to take a Tesla over the Rockies on I 80 or I 90 in the winter .... just sayin ... anybody?