1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius - Special Service Campaign (Steering Shaft Assembly Issue)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tmsusa, May 30, 2006.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have never noticed a click when turning the wheel but rarely (actually never) am in car without some sort of audio distraction

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    come to think of it, I've only heard the clicking noises when turning after I washed the car one day (might've been last week).

I mean, it really clicked as if I was forcing it to turn (not the usual motor sound by the electric motor assist). It went away after I left it to dry overnight.

3. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I tried it again at lunch after my previous post. Just sitting in the car, not moving, turning the wheel a little bit (just free play, not enuf to turn the wheels or anything like that) to the left, then right, etc., there is a distinct but soft noise, like a click, always at the same point: when the steering wheel goes through the center. Anyone else?

rob

4. vef579

vef579 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onerpm @ Jul 5 2006, 09:26 AM) [snapback]281453[/snapback]</div>
    No clicks in my car while turning the wheel - pre-recall. Haven't seen a recall letter yet.

5. Susan5s

Susan5s Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gopher @ Jul 1 2006, 06:36 PM) [snapback]279806[/snapback]</div>
    Gopher,

I was stunned to see your mention of the instrument pod bouncing around on rough roads. About 25,000 miles ago, I posted a whine on PriusChat and Prius Online about how my dash and instrument pod were bouncing around on bumpy roads after they did the fuel gauge TSB that required them to dismantle the dash. Nobody on either discussion board responded that they had ever seen the same problem with their Prius. Today I brought my 04 in for the 4th time for repair of this item, and finally this afternoon the service manager told me the tech showed him a couple of other Prii that did the same thing - this is normal! My fear was that the pod or the MFD would fail, but they say this isn't an issue. OK, just give it to me in writing. I'd love to know if anyone else had noticed this!

They're doing the steering shaft recall as long as they have the car tomorrow morning. I've never heard any clicks or had any other symptoms.

Susan
    04 silver package 9
    40,060 miles

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A click [or is more like a clunk?] when turning the steering wheel
    back and forth is NOT a good sign -- sounds like one of those spline
    connections could be loose. Did they torque all the shaft bolts
    right while doing the SSC? If they left one loose, there's a chance
    that turning hard could jump a spline tooth or strip the thing and
    make things worse -- in other words, almost like the original problem
    that the SSC attempts to correct.
    Make sure it's not a deep metal-to-metal type noise; if you can maybe
    find where two pieces of plastic are touching while passing center
    or something innocuous, you would have less to worry about.
    _H*

7. thejoker

thejoker New Member

Got my safety recall notice today (Thurs 7/6). I live in the SF Bay Area.

I called my dealer (Toyota 101) when the announcement was first made. The sales rep assured me that my Prius (an early '06 that I got on 12/7/05) would NOT be covered by the recall. Hmmmmm..... (Their service dept was good though. They did my 5K mile service in an hour.)

8. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jul 5 2006, 09:32 PM) [snapback]281741[/snapback]</div>
    OK, I tried it. I didn't notice any clicks when turning the steering wheel, even after the recall. Like hobbit said, it might be a problem. Better bring it to the dealer.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone else being told that the part is on "National Back-order"? Called today hoping to set up the recall work for tomorrow and they said they'd just have to call me when the part came in.

10. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Thanks for your replies, everyone. My wife is dropping the Prius off today to be looked at again. It's a very light noise, does not sound like a clunk, or metal-to-metal. It almost sounds like a piece of plastic is loose and is laying on the shaft somewhere, and rattles over bumps as well as "clicks" when the wheel is turned past the center. It's up high in the column. Also, the plastic surround that goes around the shaft down where it passes through the floorboard doesn't seem to be fit together completely, so I'll have them look at that as well, although I am confident that that isn't the source of the noises.

I'll let you all know how it goes today.

rob

11. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I received the recall notice yesterday and had the recall performed the same day.

Took about two hours, but the part that annoyed me was the mechanic running the AC the whole time. I know this because the tank mileage did not change, but the HV battery was depleted from green to purple, and about 0.2 gallons of gas were used based on the tank mpg change. Considering that it was 70F yesterday, I'm not sympathetic.

12. Susan5s

Susan5s Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Jul 6 2006, 10:19 AM) [snapback]281971[/snapback]</div>
    I had exaclty the same experience, and it's not the first time. I just got home from picking it up after the recall. I remember turning the climate system OFF when I dropped it off, and this morning when I turned the car on the AC came on, set at 69 degrees. I only ever set it to 72-73, so clearly they did that and let the battery run down to 2 pink bars.

Also, the left driver's side vent was not in the right position inside its frame, which I did not notice until I was almost home. I fiddled with it and got it back. It was pushed in and down relative to the silver outer frame. When I got the key, I decided to take a walk around the car before getting in it, and saw that the hood was ajar. That was lovely, too. Wouldn't they have heard a beeping or seen a flashing light as they were parking it?

Susan

13. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 6 2006, 08:31 AM) [snapback]281943[/snapback]</div>
    I gave my dealership a week's notice so they could get parts in. When I arrived today, there was another Prius waiting for the SSC 60C work. The service managers had a short conference about whether or not they had parts for everybody. Don't know the outcome for the other Prius, but they had enough parts for mine. :)

The guy who did the paperwork said it was hard to get more than one set of parts on a single order. He said something to the effect of, "there's a lot of competition for the parts for this fix."

14. SDiego

SDiego New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well I just got my notice on thursday, but have not made the appt yet. I want them to do a few before they
    do mine. My car is a 05 produced in 4-05 and have about 22,000 miles on it and never had a problem with
    it. My steering wheel does not click or anything while parked when I move it, for the record. We will see how Kearny Mesa Toyota does with my recall.

15. mwhaley99

mwhaley99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well......I took mine in today and had my steering shaft replaced.....Great !

NOT....

I picked up the car just as they were closing this evening and shortly after I left the garage I noticed that the steering wheel is not central anymore when the wheels are straight !!!!

So I will have to take the damn thing back again....

16. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was looking through that 42 page document from NHTSA and came across the following interesting table. It shows the number of cars by state that the recall affects. This is the bulk of Prius on the road, sure there are some earlier and later ones, not affected, that don't show up here, but it's a good snapshot to show the approximate distribution of vehicles. If you're in North Dakota, you're not alone, but nearly so...

17. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Thanks Bill.

Now, I just have to normalize to state population, and my state of NM will shine !

18. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Jul 7 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]282876[/snapback]</div>
    It's already been done. See http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=ST&f=19&t=20850

19. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mark Whaley @ Jul 7 2006, 09:11 PM) [snapback]282824[/snapback]</div>

Good luck; mine took THREE times! :angry:

20. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Because of my affinity for a straight steering wheel, I must admit I am disinclined to get the recall done, even though my safety could be at risk. This is enhanced due to the fact that no vehicle failures have occurred as a result of the presumed-defective part.

I have no tolerance for stealerships, as I have worked at one in the past and know the tactics used by the various departments to pad the bottom line.

I'm with galaxee on this one, though.....find a good prius mechanic and give them your business! As it stands, my Prius is still in AK and won't get the recall performed until I get back, and that can only be done by the one Certified Prius mechanic in Anchorage.

Here's hoping he's had some practice.