1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius - Special Service Campaign (Steering Shaft Assembly Issue)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tmsusa, May 30, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the parts ordering system for this is crazy, as i think i've mentioned before. it's impossible for busy places to keep any on hand. they're trying to prevent dealers from stockpiling them by severely limiting the number of parts they can order per day.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveG @ Aug 17 2006, 04:03 AM) [snapback]304575[/snapback]</div>
    I was in the parts dept and talking to my go to guy there and ask if they had the shaft in stock and he said yes we do and I said put her name on it and I'll go up to the topend and make the appt. No inspection required at all just bring it in and did the work. Also had the HV Computer reflashed and they didn't screw it up either so bonus job. Open Road on Lougheed and Madison in BBy.

3. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Aug 10 2006, 12:20 PM) [snapback]300860[/snapback]</div>
    tumbleweed-

i completely missed this post. for an adjustment of a couple degrees on the steering wheel, doing a compensatory alignment adjustment isn't going to do any harm. just make sure the steering zero point is reset. it's just if they have the one spline off (15-20 degrees) and it's grossly off center and they adjust THAT with the alignment that's a bad idea. you can ask them to adjust the toe the way you prefer it to correct the wandering and that should take care of it.

sorry you got such a rough deal. too bad you don't live closer to us down south!

4. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Is there a sticker or some sort of labeling to show that this vehicle has had this recall SS performed?

I have searched under the hood but find nothing other than the original caution decals and labels.

(I'm sure Galaxee will be able to answer this one.)

5. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the stickers exist... but *very* rarely make it on to the car.

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

check on the drivers door post or the jam where the VIN decal is we have them there and on the front of the door jam.

7. tmsusa

tmsusa New Member

Corporate Communications for Toyota Motor Sales US
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Susan5s @ Aug 10 2006, 08:38 AM) [snapback]300838[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry-TMS USA is on vacation, and w/o internet, save for my trusty BlackBerry.

But will try to catch up & will be back to the higher tech world by Monday, 8/21.

Thanks.

8. cortakajake

cortakajake New Member

Just got back from dealer for recall fix and oil change. Took only 45 minutes. Painless.

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    news: toyota has decided to include an alignment in the recall for steering wheels that are slightly off center. again, you only want this after they've corrected for splines being off first.

DH's shop currently has a backlog of about 125 prii that are waiting for parts to come in...

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just had mine done on 8/21/06 took 2hrs & thats including oil change and tire rotation, they even threw in a comp wash/detail..

11. Moby Whaley

Moby Whaley Junior Member

TMS, Just wondering if Toyota is addressing the warped dash problem popping up right where the passenger air bad printing is. I am concerned about the air bag deployment being jepordized. Is Toyota taking this occurance serious. It looks scary. I called the Cust. Serv. no. and they said they had not heard of any such problem and therefore could not help. I am now going into my dealer (1hr. away) to point out the problem and see what there response is.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TMS USA @ May 30 2006, 06:10 PM) [snapback]263108[/snapback]</div>

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 22 2006, 08:31 AM) [snapback]307537[/snapback]</div>
    Be careful of this, mine has been aligned twice without the spline positions being corrected. No one could possibly put things back the way the were at this point because just to many things have been changed. Without an answer from TMS USA on the VSC and EPS (Electric Power Steering) zero adjustment and alignment I really don't know if those systems are correct or not. The EPS may be alright because the car steers good and the tracking is OK. The VSC is really an unknown at this point, I don't know if it works or not. I can't get good information locally because no one here knows the answers and I have had some conflicting opinions.

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ok, good point tumbleweed. i put that last part in bold.

we just sent you a PM regarding making sure everything's ok with your car. :)

14. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    galaxee, do you have any documentation on Toyota's inclusion of an alignment after the work is complete? Without paper in hand I expect many of us would be laughed at.

Wayne

15. tmsusa

tmsusa New Member

Corporate Communications for Toyota Motor Sales US
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moby Whaley @ Aug 23 2006, 03:40 PM) [snapback]308504[/snapback]</div>
    We do not have any TSBs that I see on anything related to a warped dash. If there was any issue with air bag deployment, we most certainly would be addressing that. What was the dealer's response. Do you have a photo of this condition--or has it been posted elsewhere?

16. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    fyi TMS USA, the initial documentation of the dash warping issue can be found here.

seems the prevailing cause is a part failure, but there was one instance of incorrect dash reinstallation after the fuel filler tsb.

17. wilco

wilco New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Aug 24 2006, 08:43 AM) [snapback]308782[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't have any documentation to force the issue, but they did do an alignment for me when I took the car in for the second time, and they fixed the scratch they put in the car the first time - all free, no arguments.

18. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Aug 24 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]308782[/snapback]</div>
    can get the pub number- and op codes if necessary, Wayne.

19. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    galaxee, I think it would benefit everyone who is having problems.

Wayne

20. ArtVan

ArtVan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Took my '05 Prius in for the recall work on the steering shaft and noticed the steering shaft now rattles when I hit rough roads, anyone else experience this? Took a look underneath and everything seems tight but my mechanical abilities are pretty much confined to oil changes and tire rotation.