1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius - Special Service Campaign (Steering Shaft Assembly Issue)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tmsusa, May 30, 2006.

1. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I can't see passing up on a replacement part, even if I don't do whatever might have damaged it.

I just hope it doesn't include still being under the basic warranty...

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    recalls don't require you to be in warranty- they do it for all cars affected. TSBs do require a warranty.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Can't help but being curious... Since this repacement is part of the steering system, will replacement affect the alignment, and if so, will the replacement process include re-alignment?

And... I will add my THANKS to TMC for posting on this forum.

4. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TMS USA @ May 31 2006, 02:48 AM) [snapback]263268[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm, listening is good - IMHO.

Kudos to Toyota on the self-generated recall without any known instances of problems. IMHO, this is the way that business should be done, and I am more strongly convinced that my decision to buy a Prius at this time is the right one. In doing so, it appears that I am supporting a progressive, conscientious company.

As for the listening part, its probably too late for me, however, I would have liked to have been able to get a Package #6 in the Rochester, NY area. Instead, I am due to take delivery on a package #5 - probably within the next week. Is there any particular reason why Toyota ships only certain packages to particular areas of the US?

I am also among those who would like to have a plug-in option. ;)

5. tmsusa

tmsusa New Member

Corporate Communications for Toyota Motor Sales US
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(momstoys @ May 31 2006, 06:19 AM) [snapback]263341[/snapback]</div>
    If I understand your question correctly, the "notifying" of Prius owners re this particular service campaign will be done by Toyota Motor Sales HQ in California. The dealerships have some information now, but the full technical details, instructions, etc. will be in their hands around June 5. Our notification letters will go out by U.S. mail starting around June 12 and extending over a five to six-week time period.

Hope this helps.

6. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TMS USA @ May 31 2006, 01:07 PM) [snapback]263489[/snapback]</div>
    Can you do us a big favor and post the pdf of the procedure once you are allowed to?

I find it helpful to print it out ahead of time to discuss with my Service Dept, as there have been several cases where they still weren't aware of an SSC weeks after I had the pdf in hand.

Odds are I'll be taking both my Prius and my MIL's Prius in for this, so I want to make sure to prep my dealer, as they'll probably be doing quite a few of these.

7. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(talonts @ May 31 2006, 11:13 AM) [snapback]263491[/snapback]</div>
    Well, Tom, I guess the infamous Southeast Region likes to keep its dealers in the dark. Maybe they've been inhaling too many of those Toyogard products that they like to shaft...uh...OFFER to their customers!

:lol:

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TMS USA @ May 31 2006, 02:48 AM) [snapback]263268[/snapback]</div>
    thanks for the info.

so is that one hour in flat rate time or one hour in real life time? :)

9. jmccord

jmccord New Member

This morning I noticed the talking heads on the local TV news trying to improve ratings by sensationalizing the Toyota recall, and bringing the safety of the world's most popular hybrid into question.
    Thanks to the information provided by TMS USA, and other posters on this thread I can simply ignore the mass-media disinformation campaign, knowing all the while just how safety concious, proactive and informative Toyota is being with this recall.

Did I say I love this car? :rolleyes:

10. tmsusa

tmsusa New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 31 2006, 12:32 PM) [snapback]263544[/snapback]</div>
    From the customer's perspective, I am assuming about an hour of time. In the communication transmitted to dealers yesterday, there were specifics re the op codes and flat rate hr/vehicle. If you've not seen that, please advise.

11. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Although I crashed my 2001 Tacoma double cab truck I recieved a re-call notice (only one) in the mail with very clear instructions. I believe the same will happen with the Prius. If you move alot you might want to check with the dealer in your area. I got more than a few re-calls with the Sport Trac, some stuff that just did not hold up but was not under warranty as well.

I also want to thank TSB for posting and listening here. The continued evolution of the Prius is proof positive that Toyota listens and cares about what their customers think.

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TMS USA @ May 31 2006, 03:49 PM) [snapback]263554[/snapback]</div>
    it may have been in TMS's daily, but not in SET's version. he couldn't find any info.

[edited to add his small rant: don't trust how long SET takes to get info out!]

13. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. Toyota finally un-lurks. Excellent. Welcome, indeed.
    You are most strongly encouraged to not make this a one-time
    event, i.e. continue participation after this SSC is behind us.
    In what areas, if any, are you allowed to bring back customer input?
    _H*

14. Eric Nothman

Eric Nothman Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TMS USA @ May 31 2006, 03:49 PM) [snapback]263554[/snapback]</div>
    TMS USA,

I have often wondered how, as a Prius owner, I can best make a suggestion to Toyota for an improvement. Can you provide any insight to effective methods to employ? Would a "suggestion box" forum within Priuschat be monitored and helpful?

For example, I believe a great way to handle the plug-in vs. not a plug-in for a future Prius would be to make the plug-in capability along with the Prius acting as a generator to one's house as a paired option (i.e. a feature people pay for like a sun roof). FYI- TMC website indicates that the techology for the Prius to be a generator for house current is completely possible today.

That way Toyota does not need to figure out what the demand would be or what the future trends will become - while the technology becomes demonstrably available helping to clarify/quantify the limitations and benefits. It also is a great counter to the 85% ethanol method of gas milage accounting.

In any case, any insights on how to make suggestions that might get notice and review within Toyota?

Best regards,

Eric

P.S. Since I am purchasing 100% of my electricity through wind power certificates, equivalent wind power would enter the grid for all the miles I would drive from a plug-in. Since the Prius is a showcase for new and radical technologies and has been adopted by the environmental community - this type of feature could very well be met with applause.

15. tmsusa

tmsusa New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ May 31 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]263752[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not aware that customer input ever left. It's highly valued by us and, in fact, has more frequently been incorporated into product changes/enhancements. Our way of doing business has evolved, too, under what we call VOCIP--Voice of the Customer Information Platform.

16. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Quick, somebody go get malorn! :p

17. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Jun 1 2006, 01:28 AM) [snapback]263887[/snapback]</div>

?????????

18. yumika85

yumika85 New Member

[quoe name='IndyDoug' date='May 31 2006, 10:44 AM' post='263133']
    I think I'll pass on this recall. I never make hard turns at slow speeds or at any speed. I drive my Prius like your grandma would drive it.

Thanks for the info, TMS.
    [/quote]

Passing on recalls is like voiding warranties. And I think you are overestimating your and our grandmothers' driving skills. In addition Toyota issues recalls for your and our grandmothers' safety. If you choose to ignore that, well, I guess that's your business, but I think you should rethink your decision. For what is an hour of your time at the dealer for just that extra security?

19. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yumika85 @ Jun 1 2006, 11:59 AM) [snapback]264034[/snapback]</div>
    Damn straight! Here's the scenario:

You swerve to the right to miss an oncoming car encroaching on your lane, you slam against the curb causing the weak part to crack or break and you lose steering control as per the bulletin. Better slam the brakes before you hit a tree, a pedestrian or whatever.

Still think you should skip the recall?

20. redbaron

redbaron redbaron

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey Stone,

Just check the inside of your driver door, the sticker will show the month and year produced. Mine was April 2006 (option 8) picked it up3 1/2 wks ago. Just paid my first trip to Le Gas Station - :D averaged 49.4 for my first 500 miles - I love it!

Don in Palmyra, Pa

Anybody else out there from the Harrisburg, Pa area? I am thinking about hosting a Prius Meet in the future.

[email protected]