1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius - Special Service Campaign (Steering Shaft Assembly Issue)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tmsusa, May 30, 2006.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Does this SSC involve ALL Priuses built during the indicated time frame, or only some of them?

To the fellow who intends to skip the SSC, note that this will affect the trade-in value of your car, and could possibly open you up to a lawsuit if you sell the car without disclosing that an SSC was skipped.

2. kente777

kente777 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TMS USA @ May 31 2006, 02:27 AM) [snapback]263275[/snapback]</div>
    Do you have a list of VIN numbers of those vehicles that are affected? Thanks.

Ken

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TMS USA @ May 31 2006, 09:39 PM) [snapback]263859[/snapback]</div>
    Totally wrong thread for my coming comment, but hell if I'm gonna miss my big chance to be heard!

BRING BACK the EVs! BRING BACK the EVs! At a minimum, give us a PLUG-IN Hybrid!

Doing my best to be VOCIP'd.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    how nice! Now... is Toyota Canada going to do something about this?

5. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    TMS USA - THANK YOU

I'm very impressed by your "official" visit to PriusChat. Thanks for the information and I hope our enthusiasm and many questions about the Prius don't chase you away.

My biggest question is how can my passenger use all the Navigation and Bluetooth features of my 06 Prius while the car is moving. I come from the Honda camp, where all Navi and phone features were available all the time; I feel like I got "ripped off" by paying full price for features that Toyota elects makes available only part time.

HELP!

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let's try to save all of the "Hey, TMS, I've got a question about this while you're here..." comments/questions for right now. I hope to work with TMS in the very near future to create an open, informal dialogue between PriusChatters and TMS.

Until then, let's keep the discussion related to the SSC.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay. So does it apply to all Priuses built during the indicated time period, or only some of them?

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    TMS

thanks for the heads up and i will take your advice and simply WAIT for my letter to arrive to see if my car is one of the ones affected knowing full well that if i have not changed addresses since i purchased the car, it will arrive to me and if not, i will simply call the number you provided (800 331-4331)to let Toyota know my new address

9. DavidY

DavidY Reptile Breeder

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jun 3 2006, 09:38 PM) [snapback]265357[/snapback]</div>
    I wouldn't worry, they will definitely find you. I received a recall notice a couple of months ago for my 1989 Toyota Pickup truck. I bought it 4 years ago from a guy who bought it from someone else who bought it at a used car dealer. Who knows who had it before that. Anyway, Toyota was still able to locate me as the current owner. Not only that, but they're going to fix a part that *might* have a potential problem on a vehicle that is 17 years old! Now that is customer loyalty! :)

10. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidY @ Jun 4 2006, 01:29 AM) [snapback]265466[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps it's a cultural thing, but I think the Japanese see virtue in honorable behavior. Unlike the US mfrs who have their bean counters and lawyers determine the break point where accident claims for personal injury and death exceed the cost of doing a recall fix, Toyota seems to feel that they should not bear guilt for doing harm to anyone.

11. Bernwa

Bernwa New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TMS USA @ May 30 2006, 08:10 PM) [snapback]263108[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you Toyota Rep. We ordered our Prius in late Nov 2005 and took delivery Feb 2006. I will surely check the recall info once it's available but can you give us an idea of if we're in this recall?

Thanks again,
    BC

12. Sean & Ian

Sean & Ian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 3 2006, 09:04 PM) [snapback]265337[/snapback]</div>
    According to the Japanese website where the information is posted, not all Priuses built during the indicated time periods and within the VIN ranges are affected by this SSC.

13. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took a quick look at the steering column parts under the dash of
    a recent '06, and they don't look particularly different. Any hard
    info on exactly what the upgraded components consist of, and how to
    tell them apart?
    _H*

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hobbit: i'll have DH report back on that when he does one...

15. tmsusa

tmsusa New Member

Corporate Communications for Toyota Motor Sales US
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Jun 3 2006, 06:53 AM) [snapback]265121[/snapback]</div>
    I'll do my best to stay on top of the questions from PC members that are related to our SSC. Unfortunately, for now, this is a one-person operation related to our corporate communications initiative to be more proactive with consumer generated media. But PC and a couple of other sites are filled with Toyota enthusiasts, so we want to do our best to be "proactive" with getting the right information to them quickly.

Re the SSC, publishing the VIN ranges may not be that reliable now, because not every unit within those ranges is actually affected. In fact, the recall involves inspection of two components of the steering assembly. All 170K affected Prius will have the Steering Intermediate Shaft replaced, but only 10 (ten) of the 170K will have the second component replaced

I drive an '06 Prius that was delivered to our HQ office in January 2006. The production date on the door jam is November 2005, so it may be one of the affected units. But even I do not know for sure, and our corporate vehicle services center will be doing the SSC work for our company car Prius vehicles no sooner than any of the retail dealerships.

I concur with several of the posters here who question why one would "pass" on having the work done. Yes, in some areas, visiting a Toyota dealer may be akin to having drilling at a dentist (actually, I can think of only two), but we and our dealers will do the best we can to make this a "painless" as possible and minimize inconvenience. Since there have been no actual failures attributed to these components, we're spreading out our customer mailing--thus staggering the scheduling of SSC work and assuring an adequate flow of parts to complete the SSC.

Also, alternative fuels/EVs/plug-ins are probably the hottest topics we have now within the industry. Our focus now is on hybrid technology, and you will see more of our efforts/models reflect that. But I read with considrable interest some of the ntelligent discussion on PC re alternative power solutions.

Hope this information helps.

16. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    TMS,

Thank you, Thank you for your post. Glad to see Toyota allowing some one time to browse this site. we owe you and Toyota a BIG one... good day.

now the waiting for the card to get here... 2004 Prius built Oct 03, came in on second boat...

17. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TMS USA @ Jun 4 2006, 09:38 PM) [snapback]265836[/snapback]</div>
    Makes me so happy to hear (the part where plug-ins are the hot topic) that I'm almost giggling like a school girl! :) That didn't happen by mistake! If/when you become a regular contributor on PC, I am REALLY looking forward to discussing this in depth. I already know that *somebody* from Toyota coporate checks on my EV site regularly - and I'll bet that none of my comments/questions will come as a surprise to anybody!

Danny - I'll try my best not to swing so wide. You know me - no self control. :p

18. ggarb

ggarb Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took my 2004 Prius in today for my 30,000 mile maintenance.

When they entered the computer it noted they had to do SSC60C
    on my car. It seemed like the service writer wesn't very familiar
    with it, and I was going to wait for the oil change work, so I told
    him to postpone 60C until I get my letter in the mail.

/Gordon

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oil changes would be done by general maintenance help that are not even certified mechanics. only the motivated would go the extra mile to keep up on literature meant for someone other than themselves.

i work with a lot of people who make little money and complain about it when the ability to increase their paycheck more than 50% is EASILY available to them should they attempt to put forth the effort to do so.

20. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got a letter yesterday. It was from the local dealer I take my car to. I was expecting a lette from Toyota Inc., not the dealer. They claimed my car was in the recall. From the VIN list posted mine was in the range by 700 numbers. I'm thinking...that this was just a letter from my dealer to try and get my buisness "IF" my car gets recalled. Would they have gotten a list and sent the letter to me? Or should I expect one from Toyota Inc.?