1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius - Special Service Campaign (Steering Shaft Assembly Issue)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tmsusa, May 30, 2006.

1. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why are the recall notices referenced earlier so often done as bad
    bitmap scans turned into PDF? There is NO reason the 42-page monster
    has to be *34 meg* big, if whoever provided it simply turned the
    machine-readable native text and graphics into PDF the normal way.
    What's up for public grabs is idiotically presented.
    _H*

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The verison on TIS was less than a meg, if I recall.

3. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Jun 26 2006, 09:01 AM) [snapback]276808[/snapback]</div>
    Does anyone have this smaller version? I'd like to get it into my archives on VFAQ.net.

4. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, I'd give you my copy from TIS, but they're quite upfront about telling you not to repost or redistribute the information you download. Big legal paragraph that pops up every time you log in:

5. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FreshAirGuy @ Jun 19 2006, 10:53 AM) [snapback]273419[/snapback]</div>
    A kindey stone attack is better than buying a Toyota from GST region ...

I have my car in for bumper work.. long story... and got the SCC... Service said they would need to inspect the car to see if it needed the only one part or any of the other two... fair enough.. told when parts are in it is only a 2h job.. Driving my truck goes through what the Prius needs for the whole month each week... at least I get my baby back Wen. back to Prius Luxury...

So far Service has been fair and to the point. I just have too many bad memories in buying my 2002 Prius... that is why I went out of region to a Toyota Corp run area. not one of these mini-kingdoms to get the 2004 Prius (ordered off the internet again)... I got the car just the way I wanted... search the priuschat for more on GST

The only one grip I have with Toyota is: the price for the upgrade NAV disc.. I would pay $100 in a heart beat.. but 300+ (forgot the $$$) way off base... guess I will bite my lip and buy the 2007 version so I can have the updated Toll roads here in Austin.

I hope when time comes I don't have to go to LA again to get a Prius... the way I want it.... again

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I got the SSC 60C work done today. It took about an hour. As was expected, I could tell no difference. Downtown Toyota in Spokane is friendly and seems competent.

7. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I received my recall in the mail today. I called the service department and they didn't know too much about them. I said maybe I should let you get a few under your belt before I bring mine in and the guy said he thought that might be a good idea. So I'll wait a little while.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, knowing the person who will do the work is a HUGE plus. im sure Mike at Toyota of Olympia (who also reads this forum so will be aware of most issues) will be double checking the steering wheel alignment and what not to make sure its done right.

daniel, im glad everything went well with you. now that the fix has been out for while, we will start hearing more good stories about it. most so far seem negative. there is always a learning curve to go thru no matter what the procedure.

9. tmsusa

tmsusa New Member

Corporate Communications for Toyota Motor Sales US
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jun 28 2006, 08:34 AM) [snapback]278057[/snapback]</div>
    Also, just a point of clarification. This SSC is not hybrid-specific. In other words, the campaign servicing involves components that are not related to the hybrid system of our Prius. (In fact, the same campaign is being conducted world-wide involving the same components on several different non-hybrid vehicles.)

While we do have an adequate number of certified Prius/hybrid technicians across the country at our dealerships, the service requirements for this SSC on the Prius can be done by any qualified Toyota technician.

10. nctalkinghead

nctalkinghead New Member

I joined the "recalled" on Monday afternoon. Called Fred Anderson Toyota in Raleigh, NC and made appointment for Wednesday at 9:15 a.m. Arrived at the dealership about 5 minutes early. Asked the assistant service manager to be sure to double-check the alignment of the steering wheel before returning the car to me. He smiled and said, "You must be a member of PriusChat" and assured me I would not have a problem! 45 minutes later I was summoned to the service desk to get my Prius. All was 100% right...in and out in less than an hour! By the way, Marc, if you are reading this...thanks very much!

I hope every one else's recall experience is this pleasant!

11. tmsusa

tmsusa New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nctalkinghead @ Jun 28 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]278241[/snapback]</div>
    Great feedback--Thanks. We were to have sent out a reminder communication to our dealerships this week to pay particular attention to the detailed instructions for alignment of the steering wheel. It's pretty straightforward, but does require some specific steps to get it right.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TMS USA @ Jun 28 2006, 09:20 PM) [snapback]278363[/snapback]</div>
    pfff :lol:

13. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TMS USA @ Jun 28 2006, 09:20 PM) [snapback]278363[/snapback]</div>

That reminder apparently didn't get to Conicelli Toyota in Springfield, PA. Maybe I was too early. I took Lola in for the annual inspection yesterday. Picked her up today. They went ahead and did the recall work- without notifying me by phone that they were going to do it. And of course, the steering wheel is out of alignment. This means I have to go back on Friday, to get it corrected. Not what I had planned for my Friday afternoon off.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jun 28 2006, 08:34 AM) [snapback]278057[/snapback]</div>
    It makes a tremendous difference to have access to a good service department. Downtown Toyota in Spokane seems to be one of the good ones. (BTW - it was someone here on PC that recommended them to me, over a closer dealership)

15. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 29 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]278794[/snapback]</div>

IT SURE DOES!

Here's the epilogue to my SSC 60C Toyota Prius recall fiasco: :angry:

The dealership sent me a letter stating that I soon would receive a survey from Toyota on the quality of warranty work received and that if I could not respond "excellent" in every category, that I should call the Service Manager. This I did but got his voice mail; I left him a message to call me stating that the work performed was unsatisfactory and why (misaligned steering wheel and refusal to correct the work the second time there because there wasn't a "Prius Certified" mechanic present). To date, no reply from him.

Today, I returned for the THIRD time! The repair on one of the tires done at the first visit (tire "plugged" because of air leak) was also unsatisfactory as the tire was still losing about 5 psi every two days. After two hours, they returned my car and the Service Manager who sent the letter did not speak with me (as I had requested). Instead, another manager spoke with me and verbally apologized for what had happened and said they would like to do "anything" they could to make it right. But that was it! No offers of restitution for my time (now at about 6 hours) or trouble. No offer for a monetary adjustment on my repair bill (I also had the car in for 15k maint.); no offer of reduced fees for a future maint. visit; NOTHING! Just words. My car was not even washed today. :(

I have to say that the steering alignment was corrected (finally) and I'll withhold judgement on the tire repair for a few days. I wrote rather long letters to the Service Manager involved with a "CC" to the President of the dealership. We'll see if I get any response.

This is the third Toyota product I have owned (a 1998 Corolla and a 2000 Lexus RX 300) and I have never received service and the after market PR as poor as this has been. I also have owned 4 Acuras (currently an Acura MDX) and their service and customer relations has been excellent! Heck, even the sales and service I receive on my 2002 Ford Thunderbird has been better than this experience.

If anyone knows of a good Toyota dealer in the southwest suburbs of Chicago, I would appreciate knowing about it. B)

16. tmsusa

tmsusa New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mbarrows @ Jun 30 2006, 09:46 AM) [snapback]279170[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry for all your troubles. Think this has been mentioned before, but a Prius-certified technician is not required to complete this SSC work. Also, don't throw out that survey when you get it. Complete it and send it in. They do get read and filtered for service quality issues as part of our Voice of the Customer/Customer Satisfaction improvement initiative.

17. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TMS USA @ Jun 30 2006, 11:54 AM) [snapback]279176[/snapback]</div>

Thank you; at least you are showing concern and expressing good customer relations for Toyota on this BBS. :)

Don't worry; that letter will be filled in completely! :angry:

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    as a member of the customer service working community, its very very important to fill out the surveys and turn them in. failure to do so give the dealership inflated Customer Service Transactional Survey Scores.

problems that are unknown dont get addressed. if you have a beef, use every avenue available to get heard or you will continue to encounter the same thing.

19. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had the SSC 60C done at Millennium Toyota located in Hempstead, NY today. I went to them because from our Long Island Prius meetup, I heard couple of people saying that Millennium WAS a terrible place, but now they're under new ownership, things have improved. Another reason I went to Millennium is that Bay Ridge Toyota, where I bought the car, still don’t have the parts in stock. I called Millennium, and they have the parts. I was thinking I’ll give Millennium a try.

I went there this morning around 8:30AM. The service writer said it’ll be around 2 to 3 hours to do the recall and NYS inspection. I didn’t get the car till around 12:30PM. After I got the car, I drove around the dealership to make sure the wheel is aligned property. And it was! I also noticed that my odometer increased by about 10 miles. I assumed that the tech took my car out for a spin after they did the recall to confirm that the wheel is straight. So it went pretty well, other than a longer wait than they said. I'm happy that I don't have to go back again. :)

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    longer than expected?? sounds like had to be realigned. well at least they made sure the job was done right before returning your car. very nice