1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius - Special Service Campaign (Steering Shaft Assembly Issue)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tmsusa, May 30, 2006.

1. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jun 30 2006, 02:41 PM) [snapback]279238[/snapback]</div>
    That's highly possible. Maybe they took it out for a spin, noticed it's not straight, and had to realign it. Who knows. Like I said, at least I don't have to go back a second (or third) time. :)

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Jun 30 2006, 02:34 PM) [snapback]279234[/snapback]</div>
    so the parts ordering system for this is absolutely ridiculous. you can only order so many parts a day to make sure you're not stockpiling, which is fine unless you're high volume. DH's shop did something like 30 of them in a few day span, ran more through the shop than they could replace, and flat out ran out of parts to do the work.

if they never had the parts to begin with, what rock are they living under?

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 30 2006, 01:30 PM) [snapback]279293[/snapback]</div>
    I just took my Prii in for 10K maintencance and got the SSC 60C installed and I didn't even know about it until they informed me. So kudo's to them and they seem to have done a good job. I seem to have come across a facet of your problem also galaxee. I have had some trouble with my GPS. When inputing destinations almost everytime, unless it is a destination on a major street/highway, the GPS reports that "On the way to your destination there will be roads with incomplete data turn by turn guidance will not be provided for these areas." so they (Service) told me that they would have to order another computer but there was only one in the USA. Well I didn't get that one and now mine is on back-order. Seems to me that with all the Prii sold here in the USA that Toyota would allocate more than one unit. I am a Real Estate Appraiser and use the GPS all the time but anyway that's my whine. :(

Otherwise very satisfied with Michael Toyota in Fresno, CA.

Wildkow

p.s. Good to see Toyota has put a "Stamp of Approval" on Priuschat by using it as a means to disseminate information. Care to toss in a bit of a donation Mr. Toyota? I believe that this site is an invaluable resource.

4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 30 2006, 05:44 PM) [snapback]279330[/snapback]</div>
    Mine has the same problem. I think its a limitation of the crappy software. <_< If its not I may look into getting mine replaced. Does anyone else have that same problem? Maybe I should start a new topic for it.

5. Surfer

Surfer New Member

I just set up my appointment at Kauai Toyota for the inspection. They told me that it would take 4 to 6 hours!!!!! Guess I will bring a hammock there and read a good book. But, this is not cool for a service check that should take an hour. Wonder what TMS thinks about this.

6. tommie

tommie New Member

TMS

why dosen't toyota pay for an alignment with this SSC? They pay for an alignment with the SSC 50J, and most of those dont need alignments at all. Where did toyota come up with .9 labor time? i would love to see someone from toyota perform this campaign as per the SSC guidlines in less than 1hour. I am not very happy doing this campaign, and would much rather be doing a vo6 or xo1....

If any consumers are unhappy with SWOC, steering wheel off center, please contact the 800# and express your concerns, as a tech I would be happy to do an alignment if someone would pay for it. The other thing that sucks about the SSC is that once you verify the VIN in TIS you have to visually inspect the vehicle to determine what parts that you will need (to order). I would just bet money no one is inspecting the shaft that is directly attached to the rack. The rubber boot it a PITA to remove for inspection. I would love to see how Toyota comes up with some of the flat rate times in the warranty maunals.

7. vef579

vef579 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TMS USA @ May 30 2006, 11:18 PM) [snapback]263259[/snapback]</div>
    I purchased my Prius in California in November of '03 (my Silver '04 was delivered in March '04, just in time for my vacation). I purchased package #9, which then was the whole shebang. It did NOT come with the CA HOV sticker - I had to get that later on my own.

During my vacation, I drove some 30+ miles over a very rough dirt road from Kodachrome Basin State Park (Utah) south to US 89 (to get to Page, AZ; it was much shorter than going back up to Highway 12 and all the way around US 89, but probably took just as long). Parts of that dirt road really jostled the Prius to the point that the floating readout panel in the dash was bouncing around (that's when I discovered it was a floating readout panel - go ahead, laugh). At one point, we encountered really huge boulders in the road that dropped off a cliff. That should have been enough to make me turn around! (See photos at http://www.jrcarter.com/Gallery/2004vacation)

In short, I pretended my Prius was an SUV, and I've done as much twice since then on dirt roads in Arizona (where I now live). I don't think the Prius was built for such off road travel, but going slow in the washboard and pitted areas (under 10 MPH) doesn't seem to be a problem. If I had a problem with my steering or suspension, it probably would have happened on any one of those off road excursions (and where would I be today?)

I very much appreciate the quality of my Prius.

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gopher @ Jul 1 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]279806[/snapback]</div>
    TMS USA was joking. :rolleyes:

9. tmsusa

tmsusa New Member

Corporate Communications for Toyota Motor Sales US
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gopher @ Jul 1 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]279806[/snapback]</div>
    Oh my--Washboard roads and boulders falling from cliffs sounds more like the kind of terrain our FJ Cruiser likes. But glad your Prius takes it so well!

Yes, that was a bit of a joke re Package #9 and the CA HOV stickers. But you're correct. There was a Package #9--I had one myself. $8.00 for a set of four HOV stickers makes the Prius good to go on California's HOV lanes.

10. Prakash

Prakash New Member

Dear TMS USA Rep,

Just wanted to confirm that the following Recall (60C) "Inspect the intermediate extension haft #1 and steering gear engagment point and yoke op code ...." is referring to the same issue.

Along with that 60C, TMS also performed Campaign Recalls 40D & 50P.

Have a nice Sunday.

11. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is only one SSC called "60C," and it is the subject of this thread.

12. tmsusa

tmsusa New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Surfer @ Jun 30 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]279347[/snapback]</div>
    Does seem a bit long. Interestingly, Hawaii is not part of the distribution area for TMS USA, but we do have a great relationship with that distributor and will be happy to forward your comments to them. Thanks.

13. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jun 30 2006, 01:24 PM) [snapback]279229[/snapback]</div>

Thank you; in addition to the Service Manager and President of the dealership receiving letters about the poor repair service and customer relations, I also FAXed Toyota Customer Care about the unacceptable work. I'll let you know if I hear anything from any of these recipients. :angry:

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tommie @ Jul 1 2006, 04:34 PM) [snapback]279779[/snapback]</div>
    hi tommie-
    because the wheel alignment is not affected you shouldn't do an alignment with this job, nor should you need to. holding the steering wheel straight with the seat belt and setting the teeth straight should retain the steering wheel center in the correct position.

actually it's doable in approx 30 minutes. i'm sure as you do more of them you'll get much quicker at it. ;)

15. tommie

tommie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 3 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]280500[/snapback]</div>

so you are actually saying you can remove the rubber boot and inspect the shaft that attaches directly to the rack in less than 1/2 hour?

i would like to see that...

i can replace the shaft in less than 1/2 hour, but tring to drive it to make sure the wheel is straight, and the remove/reposition the steering shaft takes too long. i have tried to hold the steering wheel with the seatbelt, like the ssc says, but i am always off a notch or so.

16. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just got my recall letter. I always look forward to going to my dealer (Toyota Carlsbad) because I leave them the car and go shopping at the Outlet Mall.

17. tmsusa

tmsusa New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Jul 3 2006, 11:24 AM) [snapback]280579[/snapback]</div>
    Too funny! Shop fast Salsawonder. Looks like some of our dealers are getting this campaign work done properly in 30 minutes-leaving not much more time for shopping other than a speedy dash through those outlets.

18. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    got my ssc60 done today with absolutely no problems...also did ssc50 from a while back on reflash of ecu...never did have a problem, but got it done anyway...dealership was quick and efficient here in FWA...(Fort Wayne Toyota)
    after 46000miles, just routine maintenance...steering wheel was even straight when finished and a car wash even...all that does is make it rain..

19. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Had my recall done Monday, now I hear some noises when going over bumps that I didn't hear before. Doesn't sound important, just like a piece of plastic rattling, or something like that. Anyone else experience that? Can't decide if I want the hassle of taking it back. The steering seems fine, and the noise is irregular.

Also, if I am sitting stopped, and turn my steering wheel from side to side, I get a soft "click" noise at top dead center. I don't recall if my car did that before the recall service... would appreciate it if a couple of you fine folks (maybe those with cars that haven't had recall yet, and also that have) would try that and report back...
    thanks
    rob

20. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onerpm @ Jul 5 2006, 12:26 PM) [snapback]281453[/snapback]</div>
    I did not notice any new rattles. Maybe just the dash not put on correctly?

I'll try to turn the wheel as you said and see if I hear the click... I didn't notice any click before the recall.