1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius Speeds Out of Control on SoCal FWY

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by PazPrius, Mar 8, 2010.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    yes, I will take them in trade. We get a buy bid from wholesaler and/or toyota dealer(friend). so far the toyota dealer has taken them all. Highest bidder.

1 person likes this.
  2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    From a quick search of toyota in your document (didn't read much)

"The GM EDRs and some of the Toyota EDR models
    in our dataset also stored 5 seconds of pre-crash data
    including a record of vehicle speed,
    accelerator/engine throttle position, engine
    revolutions per minute and brake application."

I would hope that a 2008 prius would have at least 5 seconds of data.

3. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks. Obviously I didn't read much either.

4. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    5 seconds of data won't do much good when the car was successfully slowed and stopped over a much longer period than that. If you want to catch the problem you'd need the data from the moment the car was powered on until it was powered off. Preferably even more than that, like days worth of power-on to power-off logs including the latest. That might just be a bit of safety legislation that comes out of this. Not really too hard to do with storage being so cheap now (and log files are small, especially when compressed).

- D

5. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Don,
    I agree completely that there should be long logs of data.

I would think that 5 seconds of data would tell if the brake was pressed? Was the throttle pressed? Did the brake overide the throttle. Did the throttle disengage before the vehical slowed. Did the throttle get pressed and released, and brakes pressed and released to create the hoax many here are claiming.

6. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  7. don_chuwish

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The last 5 seconds of data in this case would show that the car was stopped, probably with the parking brake on, shifter in P and then turned off. That's assuming the alleged 5 second log is even kept in absence of an airbag deployment. I just don't have any hope that "black box" data will be much help in this situation.

- D

8. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    you could be right. I would expect it would record until turned off at 50-55 mph and save that data. But Toyota does seem interested in not providing information. The car should have been turned off, and recordings kept. But I have no real knowledge of Toyota's routines.

It was ancient times, but I worked on a test machine for delco airbag sensors. For test cases they were very interested in the gm data of non accidents as well as accidents.

9. don_chuwish

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Woops, good point. I'd forgotten he powered it off at speed. If the UA was still ongoing at that point (assuming it was ever really UA) then maybe there'd be something.

1 person likes this.
  10. ShaneSchofield

ShaneSchofield New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can someone test out the "hill holder" feature at highway speeds? I'm curious as to what will happen.

Take it up to 60mph, release accelerator, apply brakes with left foot. While holding brakes, floor the accelerator with right foot.

If the car's logic isn't smart enough to override the throttle, the brakes will still be strong enough to bring the car to a stop. If you come to a complete stop, just remember to release the accelerator before releasing the brakes, or else you will speed forward.

Oh yeah...do it in a rental ;)

11. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  12. roverguy78

roverguy78 Elite Lurking Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only "frenzy" is the one that people like you and the media are trying to create. Oh my God, a couple Toyota's crashed today! It has to be because the cars went crazy, not because the drivers may have f***** up (which is the case in almost all vehicle accidents). :eek:

How many other cars (regardless of make) were involved in crashes today? I was behind a late-model Ford pick-up that was being towed yesterday. It was wreaked. Can I blame the Ford for doing that to the poor driver?

You're a complete fool. And I find it sad that this is how you spend your free time.

1 person likes this.
  13. DanielRoss

DanielRoss New Member

Model:
    N/A
    OK. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He meant to say HE was passing cars left and right. However, I have a problem with the not being able to hold onto the phone. Why wasn't it on speaker? If I was going 90 MPH, I would prefer both my hands on the wheel.

14. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The first one is interesting in that this is only the second incident (after Mr. Sikes' Prius) I have found where the victim says the accelerator pedal pulled itself to the floor. I read through about half of the NHTSA complaints and it wasn't indicated that the pedal moved itself. Mr. Kane's report doesn't discuss any incidents of this. I thought it was interesting that about 1 in 15 complaints attached to Mr. Kane's report were that their car failed to accelerate when the pedal was pushed.

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just a tad defensive, do you work for Toyota, Exponent or a toyota dealer? I doubt there were many other accidents where the driver is claiming SUA today.

16. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Malorn loves to keep bringing up these isolated incidents but he continually ignores that every year in the US at least 8000 - 12000 people die in GM vehicles. This is by far the largest number of any maker in the the US.

17. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a tad offensive.

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, knock off the Malorn bashing..I read his post as being supportive that this issue is now a 'frenzy'--IOW lots of piling on by people and probably not substantiated. This kind of infighting gets nowhere and is off topic.

1 person likes this.
  19. roverguy78

roverguy78 Elite Lurking Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Apparently, you can't come up with a valid response, so you just accuse anyone that disagrees with you for working for Toyota.

And you doubt there were many other accidents where the driver is claiming SUA today... No kidding! Because if there were more, you'd be sure to let us know. And if someone in a vehicle that is not a Toyota claims SUA, that wouldn't get much media attention.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    +1

Danny started a thread about the driver being "full of it" ... so why not pile on over there. malorn can goad some of you just as easily there - as any where else. Remember ... he's been perfecting his anti-Prius skills on PC since 2005.
    ;)