1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius Speeds Out of Control on SoCal FWY

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by PazPrius, Mar 8, 2010.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

The Prius and 100% of the parts were made in Japan, no CTS brake pedal. This mess is ready to explode on toyota, if this guy dies in an accident with the chp as a witness then what happens to toyota. The problem is electronic in nature and until Toyota comes to grips with that, they are doomed.

2. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    There you go again..

3. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Re: When will Toyota get it right?

Its probably from the parking brake. Its not made to stop a car.

4. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The driver is a lunatic and the cop is a loser. Put both of them in the nearist lunatic asylem. Their coming to take me away ha ha ...................

1 person likes this.
  5. alam99

alam99 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's been a lot of blame put onto the driver for not trying to put the car in Neutral or for not knowing about the shutdown function by holding down the power button for 3 seconds.

But, the real story is what caused the car to accelerate out of control? It's not what workarounds or solutions did the driver try / didn't try or didn't know.

It could be a design flaw or mechanical failure. And keep this in mind, it might be widespread or it might just be limited to his specific vehicle.

6. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmmm. Luckier or smarter? I may go to the former for the reason best set forth by George Carlin: "Think about how stupid the average person is; now realise half of them are dumber than that." ;)

7. Jolly Paul

Jolly Paul Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: When will Toyota get it right?

Painting everyone who does not join you in blindly accepting this guy's claims as religious zealots is not very persuasive. There is good reason to be skeptical of this incident. I don't understand why you find it so upsetting that people want more information before condemning Toyota.

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Do you think this is just gonna go away? What happens the next time there is a sudden acceleration episode that ends in death? This is a crazy situation. google toyota accidents or crashes, it is happening almost everyday.

9. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't really see a lot of consistency in the reporting on this. All the more reason to wait until we get some official reports from CHP, NHTSA and Toyota.

I do have to admit that the video and the interviews with Mr. Sikes did not impress me. I was expecting terror and relief and saw anger- deep-seated anger.

10. rita123

rita123 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Run Away Prius

You're blaming the driver with the little info that's out about this?!

Stop :cheer2:

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    True, it could be a real failure. The driver, however, clearly stated that he did *not* try to power off or shift to N until much later in the runaway. When he did power off, the car stopped as expected. In this respect the driver deserves some abuse.

Tom

12. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It was also noted that the driver had taken his Prius in to have the brake recall done. He was told that his vehicle was not part of the recall.

I believe that he staged this in order to get Toyota to take back his car.

I don't know why you guys are bad mouthing the cop. He did exactly the right thing by telling the guy how to push and hold the start button to get him to turn off his car. Maybe he should have told him to put it in nuetral, but so what. The start button off procedure was acceptable advice.

13. web1b

web1b Active Member

Re: Run Away Prius

It's possible to be confused and unaware as to how to select neutral or hold down the start button longer than normal, but the brake override should have worked regardless.
    Either this guy is lying or there is a problem with the brake override system and he had a stuck pedal at the same time.

14. MT-IL

MT-IL New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Can any of ya'll reach down and grab the gas pedal when seated in the car with the door closed.

I can't.. no where near it.. maybe he's smaller than he looks in the video and very limber for an old guy... That's where the story seems fishy for me..

15. nyty-nyt

nyty-nyt Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    This sounds like the balloon boy story, Prius version.

2 people like this.
  16. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    No, I don't think people with an agenda are going to go away.

17. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Maybe the story will end up being a hoax, but he would have to have the chp officer in on it too. It is almost comical to see you guys 'circling the wagons' around toyota....the cult of toyota.

18. a1a1a1

a1a1a1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  19. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My comments are not meant to "blame" the driver, but to point out how he could have handled the situation better. Others can learn from this in case they ever find themselves in a similar situation.

The lessons:

Shifting to N is a good first option. He reportedly did not try this. You should do this before trying to tug at the pedal or manipulating the floor mat.

If for some reason, you cannot shift to N, then hold the Power button down until the car shuts off. This did work when he followed the instruction of the CHP officer.

If you are in this situation and want to use the brakes, apply the brakes hard and do not try to slow gradually because you will overheat the brakes and experience brake fade. In addition, when you apply the brake firmly, the car will override the throttle signal and cut power. If you apply the brakes hard at the outset, you can stop the car even with the accel pedal floored.

Try out these techniques so that you will know how the car responds if you ever need to do this.

20. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not suggesting it's a hoax, but if it is, there is no requirement that the cop is in on it. It would be easy to fake the runaway problem and the overheated brakes. The cop's reaction could be genuine, even if the incident is a fake.

Tom