1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota & Privacy

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusPeep, Sep 30, 2017.

1. PriusPeep

PriusPeep Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was reading about privacy in the owners manual for my 2017 Prius Three. I should not have been shocked because so many companies have a complete lack of respect for our privacy. This, however, this is too much.

Toyota records almost everything we do in our cars. They even transmit images back to their headquarters. I'm not sure how they do that.

They say they protect your privacy. Ha. That's a good one. Look at the fiasco with Equifax, Sony, Yahoo, the major hack by China that revealed information from U.S. government security clearances... and many more. And how about ransomware?

The wise guys at Toyota and at the dealership don't tell you this:

"When you purchase a vehicle and do not opt out of Connected Vehicle Services, you specifically consent to our electronic collection and use of your Vehicle Data. You also consent to the storage of your Vehicle Data wherever we designate."

I've delt with identity theft so this is a big issue with me.

For those who are interested you can opt out.

1-800-331-4331

I tried to post a link for an email address and more information but this site requires a minimum of four posts before you're allowed to include a link. You can see the web address at the bottom of the first picture (page 10).

PriusPrivacy1.JPG PriusPrivacy2.JPG

Howe, bbald123 and davecook89t like this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome!
    I do not believe the Vehicle Data Recordings are an issue to me because my Trim Two does not have the navigation & data capabilities (Connected Vehicle Services).

The Event Data Recorder is mainly used to investigate accidents, I believe.

Here is the link you wanted to post. Privacy and protection

Howe and kithmo like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's probably no escaping it in today's world.

Howe and Sooner Al like this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    EDR is nothing new (any vehicle made after approximately 2000 has had an EDR that records accelerator position, brake pedal application, seatbelt use for about 5 or 10 seconds prior to the collision).

But the other stuff is new, yes. Someone printed out a diagnostic from the dealership and it recorded every hard (full throttle) acceleration and hard braking with a time stamp lol. In that member's case, they were trying to find out why there was a lost of power on a mountain road (hence the full throttle applications because the car was down on power).

I've already posted about the image recording from the LDW camera (which also explains why Toyota wants it standard on all vehicles). I believe it will only record in the event of a collision (just like EDR). Making it standard helps Toyota improve its software for collision mitigation (and I'm guessing it's cheaper than what Volvo has done for decades - which is send out a crew to the scene of a collision that involves a Volvo in Sweden. I'm guessing Volvo has other methods now given it's the 21st century).

But you have TSS-P in your 2017 which will have the other recordings (in the event of a collision).

pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe the data is maintained in the vehicle, though not automatically sent off to Toyota or an unnamed partner.:eek:

kithmo, pilotgrrl, RCO and 1 other person like this.
  6. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Why do you say that when the manual clearly states that it may be sent to Toyota without notification to you? The days of companies ethically handling data are long past. If they can make a buck selling the data they will.

7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Europe tends to frown on uninhibited intellectual corporate snooping...
    Except when it's done by a State's Government of course! :):(

bisco likes this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I say that because my vehicle does not have those features such as navigation and data connectivity. It only has radio & Bluetooth.
    The EDR is hardware located in my vehicle. Unless the dealer surreptitiously reads it during a service call, Toyota does not have access to the data. My car with 11K miles has only been into the dealer service once. I performed my own oil change.

9. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, this is disconcerting. Thank you for the number to call to opt-out. I will be calling that number, though I have a feeling that is not going to keep me private anymore. I use browser. I have smart phone. I search by Google. Iā€™m sure between Google and Microsoft and Apple, Big Brother is always watching us. George Orwell was off by a few decade, but it is ā€œ1984ā€ now.

10. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Watching all the K-dramas I do, I'm glad we don't have the black box videos in US cars that are depicted as in South Korea. South Korea seems to have at least as many CCTV cameras as the UK, and the black box videos the cars take there can appear pretty damning, at least on TV. Please correct me if I'm wrong,

11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota could possibly use the Gen 4 cameras to save video to the EDR.

12. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  13. PriusPeep

PriusPeep Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you, Prodigyplace.

14. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This data is sent to CarFax. CarFax then sends it to my insurance company. In my case, this results in lower insurance premiums because I am a careful driver and I drive fewer miles than a typical driver. I'm not sure how I feel about it all.

kithmo and RCO like this.
  15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your simply too honest, take the money and run!!!! :sneaky:

MichelleStone and kithmo like this.
  16. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Almost every purchase they ask for my phone number. I refuse to give it t them. We can't stop the robo calling to our phones.

RCO likes this.