1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Proprietary coolant for inverter pump an imperative?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Toyotally04, Apr 14, 2023.

1. Toyotally04

Toyotally04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A few weeks ago, I had a whole day of driving without a hitch until a couple of miles from home. My car shut down unexpectedly with the red triangle of death.

Cutting to the chase, I immediately took my car to an specialized Toyota indie shop instead of a dealership, because of budget. Apparently, I needed to change my inverter coolant system.

It wasn't under days later while I was looking through my invoice that I remember the coolant tank under the Prius hood indicated that the coolant needed to be Toyota proprietary brand.

So my question here would be:

Are proprietary Toyota brand coolant for inverter coolant system exclusive only to Toyota dealership mechanics, or do indie mechanics have access too?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota coolant is readily available at dealership parts departments.

maybe post a pic of the invoice (with personal info masked); to clarify what was done.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hopefully it was just a matter of replacing the electric pump and coolant. Pretty much every autoparts store now carries equivalents on the shelf. Personally, I use Pentofrost A4 coolant.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Nope none of that you need You need red Asian coolant packaged by all the big manufacturers that sell it all the big stores that are in all the cities in America I think that even says on it Asian red it's already 50-50 mixed ready to drop right in any of the reservoirs you got or any of the bleed tools you're using or what have you You're more than welcome to go buy it at the Toyota dealer if you like that makes no difference That's just the coolant that they're specing . The CVT transmission oil is the same bag of worms You can buy castrol's top of the line CVT fluid and if you read all the fine print on the back I think the Prius is covered even if it isn't it's been in my car for 70,000 mi and is still the same red color it went in instead of being black oh well I have not replaced my air conditioning compressor oil because I rarely add to it because I don't have any big blowouts they're saying that needs to be the special nip and then so oil for inverter compressors but I'm sure any inverter compressor oil will work that's made to work with the R134A gas that we use in the Prius or that most of y'all use The Toyota oil would not be necessary because all inverter compressors whether they run on 220 house of voltage or 200 something car voltage DC they still have the same internal winding problems and need a special type of oil that will help that deterioration not happen and maybe help from creating a ground issue or something I have no idea but there are a lot of inverter compressors on the market in the States now and I'm sure HVAC companies have the proper oil for them depending upon the type of gas so again you could just go to ACR in your town explain to them that you're running a electric inverter in a car with 134a gas and they should be able to throw something on the counter that meets that ND spec which you can read on the label or you can go to the Toyota dealer and buy it there

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When was Toyota LLC (aka Long Life Coolant) used? Was it used on early gen 2 years? One advantage it had (over SLLC, aka Super Long Life Coolant) was it came full-strength, which comes in real handy if you've got a system that's been water flushed, and still has residual water. Disadvantage was shorter recommended change interval, but I'd take that, in a scenario where you've got residual water and don't know how much.

There's a link in my signature on that: step #4 in "Flushing out Stop-Leak...".

7. Toyotally04

Toyotally04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the replies everyone.

The invoice mentioned "fresh Toyota hybrid coolant" with no other details.

P0A93 code.
    Replaced:
    water pump for inverter
    inverter switching valve
    thermostat
    and coolant