1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota quality?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by barnabas, Nov 27, 2020.

1. barnabas

barnabas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don’t expect things to last forever but my Chevy truck was 18 years old no problems except some rust. I am a little disappointed in Toyota, my 2010 Gen 3 Prius and a 2019 Tacoma.

I only have 87000 miles on the Prius the seat belt latch broke just after extended warranty, the mileage has dropped to about 44 MPG. I was getting 55 to 57 MPG, then the radio/cd player now the tire pressure monitoring system light is on all the time. They believe the battery in one of the tire pressure transmitters has died. I have been told they all go at about the same time. I am on my third 12V battery. The dealer thinks the mileage drop means the injectors and throttle body need to be cleaned for about $400, they also want $950 !! to change out the 4 tire pressure transmitters. I did not ask about the radio/cd player needless to say.

The electronics in the Tacoma keeps putting different system problems lights on with no codes. The dealer could not find any problem. The dealer said take a picture of the Tacoma lights, when driving?? When I was not able to drive it, I disconnected the battery for a few months after reconnecting the battery the problems lights seem fixed. At 13 months and 5300 miles it was noted the tires were wearing and they said Toyota only would pay up to one year.

I hope others are not having all these issues!

Does anyone know of a reasonable cost replacement for the JBL radio/cd player that does not need wiring cut and spliced?

Thanks

Barnabas

2. Majafamily

Majafamily Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Just get an aftermarket radio. Check out crutchfield. Will need a harness or two but generally very easy to install.

My wife's side of the family buys mostly gm products. My father in law had a 2015 Silverado, transmission failed last year with less than 100k miles. He got a new 2020 Silverado and just took it into the shop for engine knocking with less than 10k miles on the engine. Waiting to hear what they say. Grandma in law had a brand new yukon or tahoe, engine blown with 10k miles. Several other relatives in the wife's side with ford cars with transmission failures. Nissan with cvt failed which got replaced with a new one and that failed too.

Meanwhile, I had my same 3 cars 2 Toyotas, one honda with only minor things. My 08 sienna had a torn cv boot so replaced that and one seat warmers doesn't work. Also engine oil cooler failed which sucked but no engine damage (no shavings in oil and no apparent change in noise/performance).My side of the family gets Toyotas mostly and they get totalled or sold around 300k miles.

Only problem my Prius has had was a mouse eating the cabin filter and causing a stink. Sucked really bad. Hah

ASRDogman likes this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Quality and service have gone to hell lately.
    ALL brands and types of service, as far as I can tell.

John Albertson likes this.
  4. Attila Fekete

Attila Fekete Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I’m not sure that 18 years ago there was tyre pressure sensors in the car. There are 4 times as much airbags as I had in my 2002 Toyota. And Murphy’s rule is still valid.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota doesn't make the TPMS sensors, they just buy them from other vendors. This isn't a "Toyota quality" issue. Your old Chevy truck didn't have TPMS, so that portion is not a reasonable comparison.

10 years is a reasonable battery life for TPMS sensors. $950 for replacement is not reasonable, go to a normal tire shop instead of the $tealer$hip.

Two 12V battery replacements in 10-11 years is also not abnormal, depending on your climate and your risk tolerance for batteries nearing end-of-life and possibly stranding you somewhere.

FWIW, I was driving a 30 year old Ford truck this morning. It ain't pretty, but it is still doing the farm work. I had long felt that such trucks outlast cars, but now the Acura I bought new for my not-yet-spouse, is closing in on 32 years. Its cassette tape player died long ago, and numerous other parts are worse for the wear, but it is still sufficiently serviceable that she refuses to part with it.

hill and Majafamily like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you ain't seen nuthin yet, at 87,000 miles, you're right around the corner from a blown headgasket. to save that $5,000. expense, you'll need to spend a thousand to get the egr circuit cleaned.

toyota quality? it's an overall average, nt one particular car. even the defective gen3 engines aren't bringing the ratings down.
    most pcomplaints these days are about infotainment systems :rolleyes:

m.wynn and Grit like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Seems like rust resistance on the suspension and any misc exposed bolts/screws/brackets ain't what it used to be. Partially due to some coatings being outlawed? And partially due to "who cares" from the manufacturer's?

8. barnabas

barnabas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

When I was gone they disconnected the 12 battery charger and forgot to reconnect it. The battery was so low ( around 3 volts) I wonder how long it was that way, they could not even jump start the car or open the hatch. They had to crawl into the trunk and remove the floor to get to the battery, they replaced the 12 volt battery. Now the dash lights will not dim except when the lights are on. I have never seen the display so bright in the daytime. The dimer switch turns fine and works when the headlight are on. I sure hope none of the other problems other members have mentioned are headed my way!!

Barnabas

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    me too! :D

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How long were you gone?

Low or dead 12V batteries on cars parked unused for an extended period, are a known problem, particularly on modern cars that are never completely turned off, thanks to electronics continuously running security systems and listening for key fob signals. The Prius is hit harder than regular cars due to its small 12V battery. But with the pandemic activity restrictions this year, even my Subaru is getting hit with the same problem, requiring occasional boosts from a battery tender.
    That sounds like normal operation.

11. barnabas

barnabas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have really liked my 2010 Prius gen 3, only 87000 miles. But l have been getting a lot of small problems lately. I hate to think of the possibility of having the serious issues others are having with their Gen 3. I have thought about a new Prius but prices are very high, more than I payed for my first home.

I am seeing a lot of problems in this forum, which makes me very unsure about getting a Prius. I don't know if I can get a low millage lease at my age.

Barnabas

12. barnabas

barnabas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I was gone about 6 months, the car was in the garage and it was left on a 12V trickle charger and the key in a medal container in the house so the it would not be noticed by the car. The car was to be started every week.

thanks

Barnabas

13. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well Gen 3 are well made, but you do need to stay on top of regular maintenance and do oil changes at 5k miles. Biggest item is to have the EGR cleaned as this will help with future head gasket leaks and or oil consumption. My Gen3 has been solid with no issues, just normal items that fail with time like 12 volt battery, and Tire Pressure Sensors - but these are not quality issues, they just have a life span and 10 years is a good life span.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    6 months would certainly drain the battery. Not just in a Prius, but my Subaru too. That isn't a "Toyota quality" problem.

And an old fashioned trickle charger is risky too, they can kill batteries if left on too long without an occasional real load. A "battery tender" is better, thanks to some internal intelligence, so it can be left on full time.

#14 fuzzy1, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The Gen2 Prius (2004-2009) was a trouble free car (My 2004 went 188k miles in 12 years with scheduled maintenance, one steering column issue that was later a recall, and one HV battery at 195k miles). The Gen3 (2010-2015) has been known to have some engine issues, But the Gen4 (2016-2021 so far) has again proven quite reliable. My 2016 had absolutely no problems until a kamikaze deer took it out. I now am the happy owner of a 2020 AWDe Prius (no problems at all - so far).

JeffD

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    *Threads merged*

alanclarkeau likes this.
  17. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I thought you said the charger was DISCONNECTED ??

Then.....a "trickle charger" is NOT a good device to use. It should be a smart, automatic battery maintainer.
    And it should NOT be started during storage unless it can actually be driven.
    In many cases, that is worse than just letting it sit.

Majafamily likes this.
  18. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    User who goes by the name of Jack Black would tell us you are insane to say that.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "He" left it on the trickle charger, "they" disconnected it and forgot to reconnect it.

20. barnabas

barnabas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I actually use a Battery Tender Plus, I like them. They restart after a power interruption. Some of the newer chargers that state they can be used to store batteries are not ideal. If power is lost they have to be turned on again and even select battery type and voltage.

Barnabas

fuzzy1 likes this.