1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Ranked #1 on Best Brands in the Auto Industry

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by John321, Nov 5, 2019.

1. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the ranking of all industry's best brands Toyota was ranked #1 in the world for Automakers and #7 for all Industry.

It doesn't get any better for an automaker than this. Their reputation for Quality, Innovative products, Community service and Commitment to the Environment are paying big dividends in the Global perception of Toyota

Rankings - 2019 - Best Global Brands - Best Brands - Interbrand

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and i just read that they are recommitting themselves to customer service (y)

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Japan or US?
    In the US, it is usually the dealers that are the issue and they are not controlled by Toyota.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    us, believe it or not. they do have a customer service line.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know what criteria is being used to establish these brand rankings. But it's probably a fair ranking. Given name recognition, diversity of products and global standing as a company, Toyota has to be near the top.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    They are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude.

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I called corporate once. I had the Gen4 wire harness recall performed on one side. They then changed the recall to do both sides. I did not want to drive 150 miles each way for the recall again so I asked if the local dealer could do it. Corporate said I needed to use the original dealer and I should call them. Before I could do that the service manager called me because of a call from corporate. I ended up driving down there to have the recall completed with no hassle.

8. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not really to bust anyone's chops, What about the good ole' Heartbeat of America? I remember when I use to go to any mall or large parking its 92% American Cars. I was once told "Hmm how come American car is not good enough for you... Son.?":eek:

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It’s harder to score that game now, with “American” trucks coming from assembly plants in Mexico and “Japanese” cars coming from plants in Indiana & Kentucky.

Also fair to say: The Prius didn’t have to be a Toyota. If a US automaker had come up with something this revolutionary and executed it as well as Toyota? Think about that.

noonm likes this.
  10. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Quality American cars still uses CRS vs. recycled steel. You'll see this like in the state of Michigan or anywhere that uses heavy salt. There's nothing wrong with either using both materials but for the money, I think I would prefer built to last.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the big three make pretty good cars these days, but catching toyota and others isn't easy. i think they've made tremendous strides.
    fuel efficiency has never been their forte, but they're thriving in the world of trucks and suv's.

ev's present an opportunity for every manufacturer to compete on a level playing field, albeit with a few lap head start afforded tesla.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  12. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2 different animals. One for everyday and one for weekends.

13. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Cause they screwed themselves over to reduce the leverage of workers:
    Decline of U.S. auto industry linked to midcentury shift in production models | Vanderbilt News | Vanderbilt University

The key insight:
    The irony is that post-WW2, the Japanese copied the highly concentrated production system, which is what has helped Toyota/Honda/etc be so successful.

The closest American car company to that original model is Tesla, which is why you are seeing so much innovation coming from them.

14. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting read.

I would point out that advances in telecommunications could probably have had some mitigating effect on the geographical dispersion of production, but we don’t know how well they are applying what they’ve got. If nothing else, their analysis would be incomplete without factoring in the enormous changes in business communications over the time period they’ve studied.

15. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I could add to the discussion, one of the benchmark statements in the article refers to how just in time suppliers put the automotive manufacturers in a position where a small group of employees could shut a system down.

While on its surface this is true proper management of suppliers would minimize this from happening.

For example Toyota would have multiple manufactures for a part competing for Toyota's business. They would also have multiple sources for the part so that a Natural disasters, production strikes or other unforeseen circumstance wouldn't jeopardize production.

Case in point-
    In the 1990's Toyota of Kentucky was Toyota's only US manufacturing plant. We received parts through the American Transport system which was unionized and controlled by the Teamsters. The UAW enlisted the Teamsters to strike and cut off Toyota' parts transportation pipeline. The cooperative venture between these two did not mature but it did show Toyota a potential weakness in their production system.

Toyota didn't panic or pull up operations in the US. The built a huge trucking depot and warehouse on the factory Property and developed and independent non-unionized tucking workforce and warehouse workers. They managed this situation and eliminated the weakness

I mention this not to start a debate about unions but to show an example of how strong cooperative farsighted management can manage situations for the benefit of their operation. The article I think points out the lack of these characteristic in the Big 3 management at that place and time.

16. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hopefully well see the light of day soon instead of a freight train heading towards us. Hopefully the new tax laws implied will make a change on gearing up the auto industries. Hybrid or not, we need American cars and Imports too.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no worries, the big three are all doing fine. you can buy one anytime you want to. lots of dodge smokers around here, and plenty of gm's and fords too

and they're doing so well, they just dropped a bundle on union concessions