1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Recall Chart Suggestion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by romad, Mar 9, 2010.

1. romad

romad 2004 Prīus Base Former Owner (Sold 13 May 22)

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The chart would be more accurate if it included a column showing which of the vehicles were built in North America and which in Japan. Also which ones had U.S. sourced accelerator assemblies since they are the defective ones.

From what I've gathered based on news reports, 99.9% of the problems are in U.S./N.A. built vehicles, or sourced assemblies, such as the accelerator pedal.

Also, the floor mat problem only happens with aftermarket mats that aren't anchored by the hooks, or are too large for the vehicle.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The chart was developed in collaboration with Toyota Motor Corp. Getting it made to a point where they would allow us to make it public was difficult and required internal wrangling. Seriously.

I added note 2 to help distinguish between those built in the US and those built in Japan:
    2) Camry, RAV 4, Corolla and Highlander vehicles with VINs that begin with "J" are not involved.

As for the floormats, there was no mention from TMC that only after-market mats were the problem. I would think they would jump all over that if it were the case. For this reason, that is not mentioned.

3. romad

romad 2004 Prīus Base Former Owner (Sold 13 May 22)

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info, Tony.

BTW, I checked my OEM floor mats in my 2004, and found that there is no way they can block the pedal UNLESS:

1. The hooks break during heavy braking due to the inertia of the mats pulling on them, or,

2. the hooks don't break but the mat material tears though to the rear of the mat.

I also pressed the pedal to the floor with my hand and it didn't come anywhere near my properly installed OEM mat.

What I've heard was that people were putting extra mats on top of the OEM ones, or replacing them with different aftermarket mats from their FLAPS. Either of those WILL cause a problem with the pedal.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have the rather nice "PRIUS" floor mats. I rarely use them; usually only for car shows and hybrid meet-ups where I display my car. Usually, I have Eddie Bauer "Water Hog" mats. I bought them several years ago so I can't remember the sizing and ordering process, but there is no way I could jam the pedal in such a way as to get it stuck. Also, the mats have the carpet nobbies and there's no way they will slip.

5. zxit

zxit HP's Prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III

I agree.

The heel of my shoe wears a hole in the carpet of my Prius. That also happens to my wifes car an "09" Corolla. I put Velcro where this wear out happens but I'm guessing others are placing after market mats on top of the originals.
    This could possibly have happened to the run away Prius that is all over the news today.

CHP Investigates Runaway Toyota Prius -seen on Yahoo news.

I wonder do any of you feel self conscience driving your Prius today?

My wife said, "Roger maybe now they will stay away from you." :)