1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota recalls 340,000 Priuses globally to fix parking brake issue

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by raspy, Oct 12, 2016.

1. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  2. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Per ToyotaUSA

On the involved vehicles, there is a possibility that the parking brake could become inoperative. If this occurs and the driver exits the vehicle with the transmission in a gear other than ‘Park’ while the ignition is on, the vehicle could roll away, increasing the risk of a crash.
    Toyota dealers will add clips on the top of the brake cable dust boots to prevent the cable from becoming inoperative at no cost to customers. All known owners of the involved vehicles will be notified by first class mail starting in November.

3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    wow there are many differences between the parking brake and the brakes, one of which is issues with one sells more papers than the other.

So what's the actual issue? There's mention of adding some clips around a dust boot on the cable. Is that boot moving and somehow blocking movement? Hopefully this recall is handled quickly before some actor gets pinned against their gate and a roll away Prius.

I still don't think it'll save the lives of the common idiot. I would venture to guess that the majority of drivers do not use the parking brake at all. I think I got my wife in the habit of using it now, but she didn't for the longest time. If I sit in a parking lot it seems most cars roll against their park pin as the driver takes their foot off the brake. With the Prius I can see if a famous actor jumps out to say get their mail and they don't turn off the car, they might also leave it in D and the car will make a run for freedom.

Rangerdavid and Coast Cruiser like this.
  6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The new upcoming Bolt EV will, while stopped, automatically shift to P if the drivers door is opened and their seatbelt is released.

7. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That seems like the proper solution. it's mildly irritating to me because it's one more sensor/system to go wrong just so dumb people don't hurt themselves, but it'd be difficult for a company to say "well we build these cars for those with at least average intelligence. If you're below that level this is too dangerous for you to own."

8. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Why would one (the driver) want to exit the vehicle while the car is in gear and the engine is running?

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  9. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You've loaded it with explosives that you're driving at the alien invaders but you're not a suicidal maniac so you plan to jump out and roll to a stop sometime before the car hits the aliens. Have you not watched any action movies?

10. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why are you trying to make fun of a safety issue? Toyota still have to release their full report into what's happened, so the full facts are as yet, unclear. I myself use the parking brake regularly, even at times on hill waiting at traffic lights. Whether I've dropped it off at a Toyota dealer or at a car park in London, I've returned to find that the person who parked it for me, engaged the parking brake.

RCO likes this.
  11. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Imho, one of the flaws of the Prius is the gear lever not physically being in different positions depending upon what gear you have selected. In addition, the car may have been started, but the ICE might not be on, so without any noise, nor a physical reminder that you're in D (apart from a D on the dashboard that you may forget to glance at), there may be instances where people make this mistake, as reported.

For some Prius owners, it may be their first time driving a car that has some peculiar features compared to cars they have owned previously.

12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    For the same reason people leave their lights on and walk away from a vehicle, they don't notice. The Bolt is an electric vehicle so there's no "engine running" to remind them.

RCO likes this.
  13. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It would seem you have not heard of the Darwin Award. This is awarded, I believe annually, to the person who through outrageous stupidity, sacrificed their life; thus removing their DNA from the human gene pool.

14. FF/Medic

FF/Medic Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With this recall, my new 2016 Toyota Prius Four now has two open recalls and additional safety problems. One Toyota recall is for the parking brake issue and the other Toyota recall is for the passenger airbag that can deploy at any time without a reason. For both Toyota recalls, remedies are not yet available. To find out if your Toyota vehicle has safety defects, visit this website and enter your VIN. www.toyota.com/recall.

Yesterday, I was at the Toyota dealer where I purchased my vehicle to attempt to repair the digital speedometer. On my 2016 Prius, it is impossible to select from English to metric units because Toyota deleted this option from my vehicle with the advanced technology option. Toyota forgot to disclose to customers that this feature was deleted from some of the 2016 Prius vehicles. The dealer also discovered that a Prius made in June or July 2016 has the English to metric selection available. This speedometer issue makes driving across Canada and Mexico dangerous since the vehicle speed can only be displayed in miles per hour. Both Canada and Mexico post speed limit signs using the metric system.

When the dealer called Toyota, the only recommendation from Toyota for repair was for me to purchase a new 2016 Prius to replace my new 2016 Prius. Apparently, Toyota made this secret repair to their software to fix this issue but, if your vehicle was manufactured in January or February 2016 you must purchase a new vehicle if you want to repair your speedometer to read both English and metric units.

Regarding the 2016 Prius speedometer problem, I wonder if there might be a third recall in Toyota's future. The Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations of Canada on page 81 under the heading “speedometers and odometers" states the “speedometer shall indicate the speed of the vehicle in kilometres per hour or in kilometres per hour and miles per hour. The unit or units of measurement shall be identified on the speedometer or at a location adjacent to it.” Read more: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/PDF/C.R.C.,_c._1038.pdf.

15. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  16. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just Email the dealership. Any feeback will get back to all you asap.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

17. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My friends and I had a Prius on reserve at our local dealership for rental for our weekend trip and the dealer just called us just NOW and told us they can't rent us the Prius but a Camry. This SUCKS. This will nearly double our fuel costs. Just for a stupid clip. BAD timing, Toyota.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Seems like Toyota is going above and beyond on this. Anyone who would walk away from a vehicle on and in gear is completely irresponsible, shouldn't have a license.

That said, I'd agree, the Prius shifter, the Park button and an engine that shuts down: all combine to make it easier to do.

On the other hand (Fiddler on the Roof...), the moment you open a door with the car on there's a symphony of warning bells.

kithmo, N.J.PRIUS, RCO and 2 others like this.
  19. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  20. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Is the dealer claiming that the for the parking brake recall is the reason for not being able to rent you the Prius?