1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Recalls Certain 2004-2009 Prius models for Steering, Pump Defects

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Scrittibear, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Scrittibear

Scrittibear Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Directly from the Toyota press release:

Toyota Announces Voluntary Safety Recalls of Certain 2004 to 2009 Model Year Prius Vehicles

TORRANCE, Calif., Nov. 14, 2012 – Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. (TMS), will conduct two safety recalls involving Prius vehicles as part of the recall announced today by Toyota Motor Corporation.

Approximately 670,000 Prius vehicles are being recalled in the United States to inspect and in some cases replace the steering intermediate extension shaft.

Due to insufficient hardness treatment of some of the extension shafts, the splines that connect the extension shaft to the steering gear box may deform if the steering wheel is frequently and forcefully turned to the full left or full right position while driving at slow speeds. This deformation may create increased internal clearance and the splines may eventually, over time, wear out.

Toyota dealers will inspect the extension shaft to determine if it needs to be replaced and, if confirmed, will replace it. The inspection and repair will take approximately one hour depending on the dealer’s work schedule.

Approximately 350,000 of these same Prius vehicles are also being recalled to replace the electric water pump for the hybrid system.

In the hybrid system, there is an electrically driven water pump that circulates coolant through the hybrid components to provide cooling. There is a possibility that the electric motor installed in the water pump may stop functioning, leading to illumination of various warning lights in the instrument panel. In limited instances, the electric power supply circuit fuse may open, causing the hybrid system to stop while the vehicle is being driven.

Toyota dealers will replace the electric water pump for the hybrid system. The repair will take approximately two hours depending on the dealer’s work schedule.

There have been no crashes or injuries reported for these two conditions. Owners of vehicles covered by these safety recalls will receive an owner notification letter via first class mail starting in December 2012. Any authorized Toyota dealer will perform these recalls at no charge to the vehicle owner.

Detailed information is available to customers at www.toyota.com/recall and the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331.

And direct from Toyota.com/recall see: Toyota | Toyota Announces Voluntary Safety Recalls of Certain 2004 to 2009 Model Year Prius Vehicles

bshef likes this.
  2. JeffyJosephNorCal

JeffyJosephNorCal Formerly JeffyJosephNCa

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Need to update your title, it's the 2004-2009 models being recalled not the 2000-2011.

3. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I am very interested in the new, coolant pump. If anyone has a chance, I'd like to know the part number. The reason is except for the mount, the pump interfaces are identical to the NHW11 coolant pump and they fail too . . . eventually.

I would rather have the newer, NHW20 coolant pump IF it is a different part number than the original. I do not mind working the mount challenge knowing the internals are improved.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

Dana Sion likes this.
  5. woeger

woeger New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I just bought a 2012 Prius c.

Is this affected by the Recall, as it may have been made in 2011?

6. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha, just when I started thinking my Prius was the only car I have that isn't trying to kill me.

I'm interested in seeing if I can get reimbursed because they replaced my water pump recently.

Dana Sion likes this.
  7. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've been hearing an odd "pump-running" sound intermittently on my 05. Been going on for about 4 months now in concert with a check engine light. hmmmmm.

Dana Sion likes this.
  8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Judging from the way that the PR article is written, it's possible that if they inspect the steering shaft and it is ok, they will consider it case closed. If the issue occurs later on, Toyota may say that the recall has already been completed and you are SOL on any assistance for repairs.

iPhone ?

9. sturgidson

sturgidson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Exactly the same situation with me.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...mine appears qualified for the steering check but not the pump, which I think pump was subject of prior recall

11. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I clarified the OP to show that it is for 2004-2009 models only. I also included the full text from Toyota.

12. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just checked my VIN and it has me listed for the steering checkup. Reading some of the documents it might be January before you can check your VIN for the coolant pump service.

jehbie likes this.
  13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not really a "steering pump" but close enough. Steering gear would be the precise term and coolant pump.

Bob Wilson

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind the regular coolant water pump (which fails a lot and I think accounts for the lone bad black circle that 2004-200x vintage Prii get in Consumers Reports used car reliability charts) I don't think is the subject of this recall. I am still limping around on my orig water pump will be interesting to see if my dealer would offer to change it as part of this recall service...probably not but I can try too.

15. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    This is what I see on my Toyota Owners page:

Safety Recall C0T (C1T) Preliminary Notice - Steering Intermediate Extension Shaft

What is the Condition? The steering shaft system of the subject vehicles consists of a steering intermediate shaft assembly, steering sliding yoke sub assembly, and steering intermediate extension shaft assembly. Due to insufficient hardness of the extension shaft supplied by a specific supplier, the splines which connect the extension shaft to the steering gear box may deform if the steering wheel is frequently and forcefully turned to the full-lock position while driving at a slow speed. This may create an increased backlash, and splines may eventually wear out over time, which could result in loss of steering ability.
    When will the Remedy be Available: The remedy procedures will be provided to each dealership shortly. At which time, Toyota will notify owners of covered vehicles by first class mail. Additional information will be posted on this site once the remedy is available.

16. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's been my personal experience that according to Toyota, you're SOL for any kind of repair - defect or no.

austingreen likes this.
  17. aknee87

aknee87 Junior Member

I have a 2004 which comes up as being covered by this recall. (Ironically, I was preparing to put the car up for sale this weekend. Timing is everything.) In the process of getting things together for sale, I came across a recall notice from Toyota, SSC 60-C, issued back in May, 2006 for"Steering Intermediate Shaft Replacement." It says, in part:

"In certain 2004 through early 2006 model year Prius vehicles, due to insufficient strength, a portion of the Steering Shaft Assembly may become loosse or may develop a crack under certain operating conditions, such as when the wheel is turned forcefully to the locked position at low speed or the tire contacts with roadside curbs while driving."

I've had all recall repairs performed. Sounds to me like this new recall is for the same thing. Does anybody have any information about this?

Thanks.

18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I woke up this morning and the headline on my MSN homepage was;

Latest: Petraeus, Toyota Recall, Fatal Crash

With pictures scrolled together of Petraeus, A closeup of a Toyota Front Grill prominently showing the Toyota symbol, and a picture of a glowing fireball being surrounded by fire trucks and emergency vehicles.

Even though there obviously is no connection between any 3 of these events, it also is obviously not the type of publicity Toyota desires.

Because I think the voluntary recalls are the correct thing for Toyota to do for their customers and Toyota Owners, It's discouraging to me that the media is so anxious to spin it in the most sensational manner possible.

I mean one wonders why MSN chose to put the words Toyota Recall and the Toyota symbol, right next to "Fiery Crash" and the picture of a crash?

The crash by the way was a airplane that crashed...no connection.

My concern as a consumer, for everyone is that I want my automobile company to be willing to do voluntary recalls when and if problems are discovered.

If the media is so adversarial as to spin every recall in as negative as possible terms, at some level that has to make companies that much more hesitant to announce and embark on recalls.

A recall is never anything anyone wants. But Toyota deserves credit for embarking on this voluntary recall, and I would think they don't deserve their moniker placed next to fireballs and emergency vehicles. Especially when this is a voluntary recall and No Accidents have been reported as a result of either of the recall issues.

bshef likes this.
  19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My car is late 2006 and was not covered by the prior recall.
    Now I am covered by the new one. I would assume on the Toyota/owners website that any old recall work that you have completed does not become listed again as an needed action (unless the dealer forgot to tick it off as already completed). So if you have a positive result of recall needed owner needs to at least check with the dealer. Could be new owner's job you don't have to do it youself, except it would help if you made sure the prior work was prior recorded by the dealer.

Dana Sion likes this.
  20. Dana Sion

Dana Sion New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Same here on our old 2009 Prius, but no error codes on the meter pending or otherwise. I wonder if it could be related to the recall. I will make sure to tell them when they say we can bring it in.

I know the last time there was a recall(that dumb one when they shaved down the pedal) it took a long time from when the press release came out from Toyota to when we got contacted. The dealer may already have taken our 2009 as part of the sale of the 2012 PIP, then honestly it is something for them to be honest and handle before selling it.

bshef likes this.