1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Recalls Certain 2004-2009 Prius models for Steering, Pump Defects

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Scrittibear, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Dana Sion

Dana Sion New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Quite true, and many of the recalls are more so "just in case" because if something DID happen it could be quite serious. For instance the recent steering shaft recall situation says if people are operating at low speed and pretty much slamming the wheel from one full stop on the wheel to the other over time there may be a problem. Hmmmm I rarely if ever turn to a full extreme stop left or right.

So many times it's just to be safe, they are not saying "run away from the car if you press the power button more then 1,101 times the battery bank will explode "

They are doing the right thing and you can only hope people will understand it that way, and after what happen in the past they are being careful to make sure and not hold back if something should be done.

2. Dana Sion

Dana Sion New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well then I feel bad for who ever buys my 2009 Prius used from the local Toyota dealer that I am trading into when my 2012 PIP advanced comes in as the trade in price is locked in for 30 days and it may be in the hands of the dealer before I am told I can even bring it in to look at the recall part. I hope they do the right thing before it's re-sold.

3. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I remember doing this on my wife's Prius. And also the hybrid coolant pump too.

4. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm one of these people who turn the steering wheel quite forcefully at low speed and have noticed an unusual, uneven and ever more frequent judder and dull noise of the steering wheel at these occasions. I have an '07. I've never had an engine light on, but if they want to replace the electric water pump let them do it.

How many pumps has Toyota had to recall -or issue a TSB for- on the Gen II Prius?

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Unfortunately, it seems like my replies in the other thread that came before this (but was incorrectly posted by someone else in the PiP area) are gone. I was hoping the threads would be merged.

I wonder if this recall is related to the replacement pumps from LSC A0N - HV (Inverter) Water Pump; Dealer Letter and Technical Instructions | PriusChat crapping out. It seems a # of people had theirs replaced due to the LSC, only to have theirs crap out in w/fewer miles on the 2nd pump than the original. Hopefully these new pumps are better and not the same as the replacements from the LSC, which seem questionable...

Maybe this means another free inverter coolant change. (y)

Yeah, my 06 Prius (bought new in January 06) I don't think was ever part of the 1st steering shaft recall.

6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought that Petraeus was so upset about the scandal that he hopped into his Prius and slammed it into a house.

7. Wimble

Wimble Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to UK recall website it's possible that both will need to be done to second gen Prius - takes 2.5 hours.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A bit more info and why you might see a larger # reported: Toyota recalling 670k Prius models in US, 2.77 million vehicles worldwide [UPDATE] .

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    ...which was in Indianapolis that blew up torching the neighborhood.

10. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2008 came up with both recalls. My VIN starts with JTDKB20U78775xxxx

From the Toyota Recall Information – 2009-2011 Recall Notices

Below are the open Safety Recalls or Service Campaigns that have not yet been completed for your vehicle.

Safety Recall C0U (C1U) Preliminary Notice - Hybrid Electric Water Pump
    At the present time, Toyota is currently preparing the remedy.
    What is the Condition? There is a possibility that the coil wire of the electric motor installed in the Water Pump for the Hybrid System may have been scratched during the coiling manufacturing process at the supplier. In this condition, the coil wire may corrode at the scratched portion and in some cases break. If this occurs, the water pump could stop, leading to the illumination of various warning lights in the instrument panel. In limited instances, a short circuit can occur between adjacent coil wires, resulting in an open fuse for the electric power supply circuit. If the fuse is open, the hybrid system will stop while the vehicle is being driven, which may increase the risk of an accident.
    When will the Remedy be Available: The remedy procedures will be provided to each dealership shortly. At which time, Toyota will notify owners of covered vehicles by first class mail. Additional information will be posted on this site once the remedy is available.

Safety Recall C0T (C2T) Preliminary Notice - Steering Intermediate Extension Shaft
    At the present time, Toyota is currently preparing the remedy.
    What is the Condition? The steering shaft system of the subject vehicles consists of a steering intermediate shaft assembly, steering sliding yoke sub assembly, and steering intermediate extension shaft assembly. Due to insufficient hardness of the extension shaft supplied by a specific supplier, the splines which connect the extension shaft to the steering gear box may deform if the steering wheel is frequently and forcefully turned to the full-lock position while driving at a slow speed. This may create an increased backlash, and splines may eventually wear out over time, which could result in loss of steering ability.
    When will the Remedy be Available: The remedy procedures will be provided to each dealership shortly. At which time, Toyota will notify owners of covered vehicles by first class mail. Additional information will be posted on this site once the remedy is available.

cwerdna likes this.
  11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Interesting. Thanks! For my 06 where its VIN starts with JTDKB20U0631xxxxx, under RECALL ALERT, I only see
    "Safety Recall C0T (C1T) Preliminary Notice - Steering Intermediate Extension Shaft". The inverter water pump one isn't there.

My inverter water pump was replaced at my request awhile ago due to LSC A0N - HV (Inverter) Water Pump; Dealer Letter and Technical Instructions | PriusChat.

I don't see either recall yet at safercar.gov when I lookup the 06 Prius.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I doubt I have turned the steering wheel all the way to one side 10 times in the past 9 years, let alone aggressively. If I had known this was the required abuse necessary to risk failure I would never have bothered with the recall in 2005.

As for the coolant pump -- is this inverter or engine ? So long as I have warning of impending failure I'll just replace it if needed.

13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Inverter pump.

14. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    strange

i already have a steering shaft recall done and a electric coolant water pump .... and now there is again a same recall?

did they discover that also other cars that where not involved in the recall before also have trouble or is this still the same recal that they updated?

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes re: steering shaft they have expanded the scope of vehicles to include most/all GenII, whereas as prior recall ended at early 2006. I think we have a few reports of steering failaure on Prius Chat but most of those involve the pre-early 2006 cars, perhaps I can think of one steering failure reported here on a post-early-2006 car. Mostly the failure does not occur because the recalls fix the problem before the failure is seen by most.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How does this differ from the steering wheel recall back in 2005?

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE STEERING YOKE WAS NOT WELDED TO THE STEERING SHAFT. IF THE VEHICLE IS OPERATED IN THIS CONDITION, THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT THE YOKE MAY COME OFF FROM THE SHAFT, AND COULD RESULT IN A LOSS OF VEHICLE STEERING CONTROL.
    STEERING:COLUMN Recall for 2005 AVALON TOYOTA Auto Recalls - Justia Car & Truck Recalls

That's the recall from 2005. The article at cleanmpg said the current one was because the gearing on the shaft wasn't properly hardened, and the gear teeth could deform leading to slippage.

Tideland Prius and wjtracy like this.
  19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  20. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Prius I crashed last month would have needed this.