1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Recalls Certain 2004-2009 Prius models for Steering, Pump Defects

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Scrittibear, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks guys!! So one is a weld and another is a strengthening/integrity issue.

2. jklarkin

jklarkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently had to replace the transaxle on my 2006 Prius. The failures on other vehicles tend to be related to over heating. Mine occurred on a hot summer day in stop and go traffic. Could this have been caused by the coolant pump defect?

3. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Has anyone that has had their steeering shaft replaced know for a fact that theirs was bad? And if so can you descibe the symptoms?

I ask because every know and then when I turn the wheel all the way left or all the way right especially at low speeds I get a "clunk" or almost a wobble feel from my steering wheel. It happens only once and then is gone and it doesn't happen every time. It is almost as if a wheel bearing is bad or the wheel itself is slipping on the pavement, lol. The wheel bearing is good I have checked that and I don't have any noise or wobble at high speed.

Now that I read about this recall I think I have one of the steering shafts that is experiencing failure. I haven't had it in to Toyota yet to confirm but will run it in next week I am sure. In the interim I am just curious if anyone who KNOWS their steering shaft is bad can describe the symptoms.

Thanks,
    Chris

4. Wimble

Wimble Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My car was previously showing as being as subject to the recall via the Toyota website...I went to book it in again and ran the registration plate today and it's no longer subject to the recall.

WEIRD.?!

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM431107/RCMN-12V537-6789.pdf which has a letter w/a date of 12/17/12 has details of the steering shaft recall work. It's funny that I spotted a bit of Engrish in there. :) I noticed a reference to lubulicant on page 20. :) (Kinda OT, an owner of a 1st gen Rav4 EV showed me something that read "SERVICE PRUG" in his car. :))

I found it via Recalls Documents | Safercar.gov | NHTSA while poking around since I am affected by this and am involved in C0T but haven't received notification yet (and need an oil change now anyway). It is showing up as C0T for me on the Toyota owner's page for my VIN.

2009Prius likes this.
  6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FWIW, I received my C0T recall letter/notice today. I checked w/two dealers sorta near me (one not so near) and confirmed they have the parts in and can perform the work.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got my 'pre-notification' notice just yesterday. I remembered the previous recall, but this thread sorted that out. Thanks.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had the C0T recall work done yesterday along w/an oil change that I needed anyway. Service writer claimed they didn't need to replace the shaft, only a bolt.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Got a 90L floor mat follow-up recall notice this week so I am due in the shop now for two jobs - COT steering shft and the floor mat job

10. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When are dealers starting to make appts for this?

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can look up your vehicle on Toyota.com/recalls too see, but I believe the dealers are now ready to schedule for these

12. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I noticed that my local dealers are stacked up with work. Some are not taking walk-ins after certain time. Must be all these recalls.