1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota recalls one million cars globally

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Expedition, May 30, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    DETROIT (AP) - General Motors Corp. is recalling more than 30,000 Chevrolet Corvettes because of a defect that causes detachable roofs to fly off.

The recall issued this past week affects certain 2005-2006 models with painted roofs. The adhesive between the roof panel and magnesium frame may separate, GM spokesman Alan Adler told The Detroit News.

If there is a complete separation, the hard roof panel may detach from the vehicle and it could strike another vehicle.

"You do not want to hit a 10-pound object at 70 miles per hour," Adler said.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has received 21 complaints from owners of the sports car, but Adler said the problem has not caused any injuries or deaths.

Owners affected by the recall can get a free inspection and repair, if needed, at their local dealership .

2. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Ok so I just read the consumer reports on ford. All I can say is wow wow and wow those poor people. I cannot believe that any company can get away with that but then again I guess I can. Well I love my prius all the more now. And Toyota for there excellent customer care and support.

I can never look at ford the same again.

oh can you imagine your roof just flying off yikes. :eek: :eek:
    id hate to be behind that car :(

3. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ May 31 2006, 05:50 PM) [snapback]263631[/snapback]</div>
    And don't forget the Pinto! Ford knew about the safety issue with the gas tanks, but they calculated that it would likely cost them less to settle court cases than it would to fix the defect.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ May 30 2006, 04:59 PM) [snapback]262977[/snapback]</div>
    Does anyone know how to decode the sequence number (i.e., last 6 digits of VIN) to determine exactly when the vehicle came off the line? I'm assuming that vehicles manufactured last November would be 2006 model year.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ May 31 2006, 05:50 PM) [snapback]263631[/snapback]</div>
    And what makes it more hazardous is that many Corvette drivers also wear toupees! :lol:

4. sdsteve

sdsteve New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kingofgix @ May 30 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]262985[/snapback]</div>
    Forget about IMPORTED oil. Fact is ALL oil is a limited resource, no matter where it comes from. Eventually it will run out and we'll be fighting with whoever has it (or they'll be fighting with us if we had it). The only way to security is by conserving the natural resources we have while we try to come up with something that is renewable.

5. jennifer

jennifer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(j24816 @ May 30 2006, 01:51 PM) [snapback]263010[/snapback]</div>
    Give the poor guy a break, he envies us "Prius Owners" so much, he just can't stay away ! :p

6. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San Diego Steve @ May 31 2006, 06:36 PM) [snapback]263656[/snapback]</div>
    I totally agree with you.
    I only mentioned IMPORTED oil, because Excursion was trying to convince us we should buy American rather than IMPORTED cars. My car may be imported, but because of the highly efficient imported car I bought, the US will be importing less oil. And when comparing a Prius to an Excuirsion, the net impact on imported goods is probably about a wash.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the money that toyota made on prius sales went to R&D. R&D made the camry hybrid work. the camry hybrid is made in america.

the money that ford makes on their cars is included in the billions going over to non american countries.

hmmmmmmm.

8. prdunson

prdunson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 30 2006, 04:09 PM) [snapback]262986[/snapback]</div>
    he must really like prius,expedition that is or else he wouldnt be on a prius chat he ought to be over on expedition chat iv never owned american made that last any where as long as import go honda toyota and nissan oh by the way i traded a 02 maxima in on our 2006 toyota prius

9. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(j24816 @ May 30 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]263010[/snapback]</div>
    Face it, John, he's a troll. A "rookie" PC poster who joined to try to spread discontent. Be happy that he's got an Explodition and you don't.

10. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Won't they (the dealers I guess) mail us that might be affected?

And until then, why panic?

I have a 2005, and I think it was built in early 2005, at that, so I guess I might have to take it in.

No big deal, unless they try to upgrade my NAV. Then I would be annoyed.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ May 31 2006, 11:17 PM) [snapback]263907[/snapback]</div>
    Dealers don't mail it out. Toyota will.

I've received Nissan recalls notices and they ALWAYS come from Nissan North America.

Kinda OT, since I don't have the campaign # for this recall, if you want some insight to the correspondence that goes back and forth between automakers and NHTSA, see http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems...IfsDocId=05V555 for info on this Nissan recall http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bullet...6/NTB06-014.htm.

If you want to see a lot of recalls for a model year of a car, the
    2000 Ford Focus had 11 recalls:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems...rintVersion=YES
    2001 Ford Focus had 7 recalls: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems...rintVersion=YES
    2001 BMW X5 had 10 recalls:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems...rintVersion=YES

12. yumika85

yumika85 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 31 2006, 06:09 AM) [snapback]262986[/snapback]</div>
    This "Expedition" entity gets its kicks from our responses and rebuttals. It is totally lost of course, but we should not respond at all and then it will just go away.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Jun 1 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]263907[/snapback]</div>
    My dealer phoned me about the recall May 31 (the work was done the next day). Toyota's notification will arrive in the mail later!

13. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yumika85 @ Jun 1 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]264046[/snapback]</div>
    The work was done today??? That is fast.

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    notice that yumika is located in japan, not in the US. it takes longer for parts orders and etc here.

15. etkal

etkal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 31 2006, 06:13 PM) [snapback]263641[/snapback]</div>
    Look at the label on your door jamb - the manufacture date (month/year anyway) is there.

16. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Expedition @ May 30 2006, 03:44 PM) [snapback]262909[/snapback]</div>
    This is the mentality of the Expedition drivers all of us notice...wishing others ill will and crashes. No wonder Ford and GM can't succeed, they attract chimps, gorilla's and Neanderthals ( sorry we just didn't realize there were any of you left. :( ) like the OP.

17. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You guys are just feeding him with precisely what he's looking for.

Ignore him, and put pressure on the admins to ban him.

18. tmsusa

tmsusa New Member

Corporate Communications for Toyota Motor Sales US
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Expedition @ May 30 2006, 12:44 PM) [snapback]262909[/snapback]</div>
    Expedition, that was an early article, and you'll find more specific information under the Prius SSC topic on PC.

Also note no crashes , no incidents related to this at all. We're taking precautions.

Finally, if you are looking for more reading material to gain a better understanding of what we're trying to do here, check out this Business Week Online story.

Hope that helps.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm.. Ford Expedition recalls eh?

TC Recall #: 2005199
    Units Affected: 311

On certain vehicles, the left side tires may have been damaged during vehicle assembly. Damage to the center tread portion of the tire was caused by a section of steel fingerplate on a conveyor that had become sharp over time due to wear. The sharpened steel fingerplate could cause a scalloped cut into the tread that varied in depth, width and length. Correction: Dealers will inspect and, if necessary, replace damaged tires.

TC Recall #: 2005356
    Units Affected: 13581

On certain vehicles, the windshield wiper motor may have been produced without grease applied to the output shaft gear. After a period of continuous use on the high-speed setting, lack of grease may cause the gear teeth to distort and/or fracture during operation, resulting in the loss of wiper function. Correction: Dealers will inspect and, if required, apply grease to the output shaft gear.

TC Recall #: 2001069
    Units Affected: 18

On certain vehicles, the inflator canister in the driver airbag module may have an inadequate weld near the igniter. In the event of a vehicle crash, the driver airbag may not deploy as intended. This could potentially result in reduced occupant protection, or a burn injury. Correction: Driver airbag modules will be replaced.

TC Recall #: 2001194
    Units Affected: 78402

Certain passenger and sport utility vehicles, pickup trucks, and minivans equipped with seat belts supplied by TRW. It is possible that the driver's and/or front passenger's outboard seat belt buckle may not fully latch. In the event of a crash, the restraint system may not provide adequate occupant protection, increasing the risk of personal injury to the seat occupant. Correction: Dealers will inspect the front outboard seat belt buckles and if the buckle fails the inspection process, it will be replaced

ooh ouch. You could die! :eek:

2000 and 2001 models
    TC Recall #: 2001204
    Units Affected: 83005

Certain passenger cars, sport utility vehicles, and light and medium duty pickup trucks. A switch located in the plastic cover of the wiper motor gear case could malfunction and overheat, potentially resulting in loss of intermittent wiper function, loss of wiper park function, complete loss of wiper function, smoke or, potentially, ignition of the plastic cover material. Switch malfunction is most likely to occur when the intermittent setting of the wipers is being used, or when snow or ice obstructs the blades from returning to the "parked" position at the bottom of the windshield. Loss of visibility while driving increases the risk of a crash. Correction: Dealers will inspect the date code on the wiper motor. Motors built with the suspect time frame will have the wiper motor gear case cover replaced.

1999 and 2000
    TC Recall #: 2000281
    Units Affected: 120576

On certain vehicles, the daytime running lamp circuit contains a resistor that is corroding. If this occurs, the resistive element can open, resulting in a loss of daytime running lamp (DRL) function. If DRL function is lost, there may be reduced vehicle conspicuity, which could increase the risk of a vehicle crash. Correction: Dealers will install a sealed daytime running lamp resistor.

1997-2002 models
    TC Recall #: 2005028
    Units Affected: 244052

On certain vehicles, the speed control deactivation switch may overheat, smoke, or burn, potentially resulting in an underhood fire. The condition may occur either when the vehicle is parked or when it is in operation. Correction: Initially as an interim repair, owners will be instructed to return their vehicles to their dealers to have the speed control deactivation switch disconnected. As soon as replacement parts are available, owners will be instructed to return to the dealers for installation of a new switch.

That's only half of it and that's only in Canada....

20. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I really like all the responses to the linked article above. They made me laugh. And that is sorely lacking in this world. So, thanks for making my day. And thanks again Toyota for delivering a superior product in every way.

Cheers,

Curt.

PS I SOOO want a factory Toyota plug-in Prius. In fact, put me down on the wait list NOW!