1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota recalls one million cars globally

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Expedition, May 30, 2006.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ May 31 2006, 08:21 AM) [snapback]263317[/snapback]</div>
    Nope
    And now from the (inactive) legal side:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_and_several_liability

So to sum it up, BOTH benifit from their venture so both are fully liable. I'm so glad I unloaded our EXPLOADER (tho it got that name from the faulty trannies rather than the exploading tires). Funny though, that the troll wants to run the Toyota recall up the flag & salute it ... though FORD waits untill YOU & I are killed before they acknowledge defects like the tires causing roll-over deaths. I hope Mr. Troll doesn't suffer the fate of other dead ford customers.

Hey troll ... how 'bout those EXPLOADING FORD PINTOS back in the 1970's. Mr. CEO and CFO of Ford say to their legal departments, 'don't worry about the bolts penetrating the gas tanks causing fiery fatalities. Only a hand full of folks will likely die. Heck, if we replace ALL 5 million car's bolts (at $5 a piece) that will be WAY more expensive then paying off a few "burn-to-death-in-fiery-crash victims".

Geee I wonder why I don't buy fords any moee.

2. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Feb 11 2007, 07:02 PM) [snapback]388592[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, with the 'collapsing steering column' that affected several Toyotas (including the Prius) people were hurt and seriously injured before Toyota acknowledged the defect. In fact, Toyota execs went so far as to purposely hide the defects, which is why several are facing criminal charges.

The moral is: Toyota is no different than any other car company... they're just as sleazy.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Feb 11 2007, 07:27 PM) [snapback]388605[/snapback]</div>
    I stand corected. 6 injured / 11 accidents relating to steering:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/07/12/business/toyota.php

No fatalities from toyota defect steering ... unlike Ford defects. The possible criminal charges seem to arrise in Japan only. I don't recall Ford exec's ever facing criminal charges vis-a-vis the U.S. court system, even though Ford DID cause fatalities.

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Feb 12 2007, 11:29 AM) [snapback]388858[/snapback]</div>
    Was it Ford, or was it Firestone?

Did Ford yank the tires when the problem became pretty evident? Yes.

Did Ford try to cover it up... oh... that was Toyota. :)

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Feb 12 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]388860[/snapback]</div>
    Did they yank 'em soon enough might be a better question. Maybe after the first dozen fatalities ... maybe that would have been nicer.

Firestone built tires to Ford's exact specifications, actually, and that's why (under the legal doctrine of joint & sereral liability defined at the above link) BOTH were equally at fault.

You don't think Ford's into cover ups? Oh well ~ Congress during hearings regarding the disaster, disagreed:

http://www.rolloverlawyer.com/WildernessAT/wilderness_at.htm

In short, they stated:

"During the hearing, committee members accused Firestone and Ford of conducting a cover-up at the expense of people's lives by failing to notify U.S. safety officials sooner about the problem."

I remember hearing that Fords were crashing for months, before I could get Ford to replace our tires. If I remember, the recalls started over a YEAR earlier, over seas. 25 Fatalities in total. Might Toyota do similarly? Maybe. Thank God it hasn't cost lives.