1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota Releases Official Campaign Teaser 'Heck on Wheels' Leading Up to Super Bowl 50

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Here's the official commercial:

Source: 2016 Prius Set for Super-Sized Spot on February 7 | Toyota

And in 50, the 2016 Toyota Prius will make a play of its own, starring in a 60-second ad that will air Feb. 7 during America’s biggest sporting event.

Those guys up there, they didn’t deliver the biggest plays on the biggest stage by accident. No, they worked at it, bled for it. They practiced and practiced until it just came naturally. They had swagger, sure, but how could they not? When you do what you do for so long, great performances just become second nature.

And we’re not saying Prius is going to outshine those other performances – actually, maybe we are. But with 50-plus miles per gallon and a sleek new design, Toyota has a little extra swagger with this icon.
    . . .

Oh boy! Hopefully something edgy from the new ad agency and no more of those kiddie commercials.

Bob Wilson

2. snipercoder

snipercoder Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Must be the sign of the times. Toyota usually don't spend that much money on advertisement (compare to other manufacturers) since their cars practically sell themselves. My prediction, MSRP will start falling in three months!

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just hope they keep it under wraps better than the 'Blue Man' commercial.

Bob Wilson

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As an obvious fan of Prius, I hope Prius can impress as much as Toyota seems to think it can.

Even though I enjoy the Super Bowl commercials, I usually look them up AFTER the game, I've always questioned their REAL value. Companies spend so much for just one spot. In a venue that I think actually has questionable advantage.

I've always thought why not be "Super Bowl" commercial creative, ALL THE TIME. Put your ad in the running with every other companies best attempt at creative investment into advertising and you are playing in a pretty packed pool during a venue that does attract a humongous amount of viewers, but viewers instantly comparing your effort to everyone elses, OR distracted by The Super Bowl itself.

The press release almost sounds like a poetic justification of the act and expenditure itself.

But of course The Prius "Super Bowl" commercial will be something I'll pay attention to. Hope it reaches others as well.

Ever since the revelation of The Gen 4 Prius, my feeling in regards to nearly all of Toyota's attempts to advertise and advance the brand, has been that Toyota is trying too hard.

5. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Here is the scoop on the Prius Superbowl commercial (from the New York Times):

Prius Commercial.JPG

Toyota will air a humorous 60-second spot for the Prius hybrid car during the second quarter of the game, said Jack Hollis, the group vice president for marketing. The spot will kick off a “comedy of errors” campaign for the new Prius and will, Mr. Hollis said, mix humor and drama, and run through the summer.

Mr. Hollis did not provide details on the new Super Bowl commercial but said it would take viewers on a “joy ride,” while simultaneously showing off various features of the Prius. There will not be any celebrity endorsers.

“It will have some tongue-in-cheek humor,” Mr. Hollis said. “It will have a little bit of over-the-top humor.” All of the “highly dynamic” driving shown in the spot will be real, he added.

In recent years, commercials for Toyota featuring Kaley Cuoco of “The Big Bang Theory” and the Muppets have been created by the ad agency Saatchi & Saatchi, Los Angeles.

The feel-good commercials by Toyota, which often takes a comedic approach to Super Bowl ads, and Doritos may come as a relief to viewers after last year’s game.

Here is a link to the article: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/11/business/media/super-bowl-50-commercials-are-expected-to-have-a-lighter-tone.html?ref=media

My own comment: By "comedy of errors" is he referring to thee "toilet bowl" center console?

#5 royrose, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wish it had been last year, when butler intercepted wilson. no, the other wilson.;)

7. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    #7 royrose, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's just when i go for another beer.:mad:

krmcg likes this.
  9. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  10. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Toyota Press Release:

Toyota Releases Official Campaign Teaser 'Heck on Wheels' Leading Up to Super Bowl 50
    The All-New 2016 Prius Campaign to Launch on February 7 with Game Day Spot

February 04, 2016
    TORRANCE, Calif., Feb. 4, 2016 -- Today, Toyota unveiled the 90-second spot, “Heck on Wheels,” developed with agency of record, Saatchi & Saatchi LA, to highlight the unexpected features of the all-new Prius. The teaser touts the hybrid leader’s upgraded performance, fresh suite of safety technology features and sleek new styling.

Viewers will need to tune into the Big Game to learn how the #GoPriusGo hashtag may give them the chance to have their tweet featured in a live commercial airing in one of Toyota’s post-game spots.

On January 11, Toyota announced its return to the Super Bowl for the fifth consecutive year to introduce the 2016 Prius.

Toyota's Super Bowl ad wants to make the Prius badass in its own geeky way

#10 Sergiospl, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2016
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that was pretty good!

12. Caniac

Caniac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hope those ducks make it into more commercials.

bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like ducks.

austingreen likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I like it!

Bob Wilson

15. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I.... like it?

[​IMG]

Sergiospl likes this.
  16. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    No thanks. I like the new Rav 4 commercials better.

17. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    @ :38 secs. I think I see an increase in "rolling coal" incidents being reported here in the not too distant future. :cautious: :D

orenji and Danny like this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably true, fortunate not to live in those areas.

19. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    er....
    Wow.

That certainly is a commercial alright.

FWIW I think that a commercial that highlights the Prius' 'eco-geekienes' is like Chipotle Grill lofting a Superbowl commercial bragging about how clean their kitchens are now.
    About the only thing that this commercial did for me was to be thankful that my Prius isn't a drive-home work car.

I'm something of a fan of the G4, but only with the more-than-modest efficiency gains with this car.
    Some of the interior and exterior styling points didn't do it for me to the point where I' going to have to wait for a mid-course correction or a G5.
    I know I'm officially an old fart now, and I'm getting to be kinda trend averse, but honestly....the eye-roll moments with this commercial just don't do it for me.
    Maybe they should stick with Anime girls in Japan-only commercials.

I hope, for Toyota's sake, that I'm completely wrong about this, but I think that the commercial will only serve to deepen and widen the more negative stereotypes of Priusdom.

Put me down for a "dislike." please.

#19 ETC(SS), Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    Zythryn likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably their best tv commercial to date. backhanded compliment?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.