1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota remote starter & VIP RS3200 Plus System

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Youngdoc, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Youngdoc

Youngdoc New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just bought a 2012 Prius V (5 trim pkg) yesterday & found this site after getting home from the dealer:( I have already learned that I will try to cancel the extra stuff I was convinced to buy. Yes, I fell for the prepaid maint & extendedwarranty(do they usually let you cancel that after the fact?-don't want them bullying me).

Anyways, my question concerns the remote starter & VIP security system. I originally wanted both but the dealer said that they have compatibility issues with the Toyota starter & VIP. He recommended I get the VIP security & an after market remote starter which would have better range anyways. He wasn't sure if they make them for the Prius v yet.

Questions
    1. Does the Prius v come off the truck with any sort of glass breakage protection or do you need the VIP system?

2. Does the Prius need a security system at all since it is keyless entry?

3. Does anyone know if they make a reliable after market remote starter for the Prius v that works using iPhone?

I spent a few hours last night reading over other threads about these things but couldn't find this stuff. Thank you so much for existing. I absolutely looooove this car:cheer2: I can't wait to learn more.

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    To my knowledge, there is no 'glass breakage protection'. No car comes with that.

The Prius does not need a secruity system in order to get the keyless entry. The VIP system is more like a company installed alarm system to make the most out of the security, however, in my opinion, if someone breaks into the car, unless someone was there to hear the alarm, thieves will get what they want and bolt or take the car. Now technically, the VIP should prevent the 'running off with the car'. The Prius v - all trims, use Smart Key System, so you can lock and unlock your car without having to use the key fob. Trim 5 allows you to open up the trunk, front passenger door just from the handle, but Trim 2 and 3 only does the driver side door. You can lock the door via the handle through the SKS too. The VIP will allow for more security options.

You could try looking at Viper at Viper - Car Alarms | Remote Starters | SmartStart | Window Tint | Window Film | Vehicle Security | Keyless Entry | Interface Modules | Accessories | Transmitters | Remote Start | Find Your Next Car Alarm or Remote Starter, see if that works for you. Not sure how effective it will be or the power draw, so you will have to ask their reps.