1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota replacing coolant pump in 650,000 Prius hybrids

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by a_gray_prius, Nov 30, 2010.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, as plain as day, the recall notice stated 'pedal entrapment does not occur in vehicles with proper, secured floormats', which mine has.

The service advisor was tricky - dropped my car off for door panel replacement (which I was glad for), they knew pedal recall not done. It was after I dropped the car off, driving my old pickup to work, the advisor called 'hey, can we go ahead and do the pedal modification otherwise you'd have to sign a waiver'. Tricky huh.

I said, go ahead if that's how you want to do it. It's cut on the bottom, but what the heck, there's no outstanding, red flag recalls on the car.

It's all kinda sad and senseless though. I'm sure one could find floormats that get stuck over top of the modified gas pedal.

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ The dealerships are sticking Toyota with higher bills by pushing the pedal nonsense.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll be one of those asking for reimbursement - had mine replaced at 104k miles in Oct 2008.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Heck... when I took my car to a local dealer for some unrelated work a few months ago, they didn't even ask me about whether I wanted my gas pedal trimmed. They did it w/o asking and told me afterward it was trimmed. It seemed to surprise the service advisor too.

I told them I didn't ask for it and I had concerns since some folks said their dealers did a very crude job of cutting pedals. The advisor replied that anyone who is unhappy w/the shape of the pedal can get a replacement pedal assembly for free (IIRC, it's Toyota policy), presumably shaped "right" but they'd have to order it. In the end, I was ok with it. The dealer did a pretty good job trimming and it doesn't affect drivability or comfort (for me).

5. Prius 06

Prius 06 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    160,000 kms on the 06 and the only thing ever done to it is the coolents have been changed, tires (only second set not including winters), I did the spark plugs at 100,000kms myself, and done the transmission fluid myself every 50,000kms.
    This has been the best car either of us (my wife and I) have ever owned!
    Average 1000kms per tank in the summer and about 800kms in the winter.
    It truely asks for so little.

6. ericisbacchus

ericisbacchus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just got off the phone w/ Toyota, and they said to send the invoice/receipt to:

Toyota Motor Sales
    19001 S. Western Ave.
    Dept. WC10
    Torrance, CA 90509

Also send a copy of the title or registration.

I'm not too optimistic on that front, though. That guy didn't really sound like he knew what he was talking about. I'm getting my damn money back...I just expect it's going to take a while.

1 person likes this.
  7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Update.
    Well, my memory is good, just short or behind the times. Pearl has almost 60,000 km.

The engine water pump was changed, no leaks now so far. They splashed a bit of coolant around the engine compartment (on the cowl cover) and I need to wash off the hood under cover as it was sprayed with coolant when the pump was leaking. So they did change the pump and did try hard to get all the air out!

I keep forgetting to look, but I don't think they trimmed the gas pedal, as I refused that. Funny though, I have a soft rubber Weathertech mat sitting over top of the stock carpeted mat. The carpeted mat is properly secured and the Weathertech is also jammed in there. It's the one intended for the passenger side, and the cutout fits tightly around the "dead pedal", so it can't move. It goes -fully- under the accelerator pedal, and it can't jam as there are no edges anywhere near it. It's a generic one, that came with the anti-Prius (2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE AWD). The service writer warned they might remove it and put it in the hatch. I said fine, whatever. They didn't move it at all. I also left the Scangauge in this time, though I unplugged it. No comment from them.

So overall, I'm a satisfied customer. I worry too much!! ;)

8. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a bt tech skid plate on my 07, should I take it off before going in?

9. saechaka

saechaka Member

Tell me about it, I'm getting my inverter pump replaced for free after 206,000 miles. Only major service done was water pump and brake actuator.:D

10. ggarb

ggarb Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oops, misread post I was responding to

12. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Had my pump done today, also let them cut on the accelerator pedal so that all the recalls are done. No cost, no questions asked, heck they even washed and vacuumed the car for free. And its not even the dealer that I bought the car from.

13. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    anyone know how much it should cost at the dealership to flush the ICE coolant when they do this to the inverter coolant?

I imagine they usually charge for both in the same service so doing only ICE should cost half as much right?

14. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is a totally different system. The radiator actually has two sections, one for the engine and one for the inverter.

15. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The BT tech plate won't interfere with their work. They do it from above. Even if they needed to remove it, it would be easier than the stock part to remove.

16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for posting this. I just called and scheduled my car for the replacement. I've never had to perform repairs in this car yet (123,000miles) and I'd rather not have any unexpected ones!

17. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just called Rockland Toyota in NY, the guy hadn't heard about the recall at all and when I explained it to him (kind of a weird situation) and asked how much it would be to also replace the engine coolant he said that they were on the same system and replacing the inverter would thus replace the engine.

Has anyone actually called their dealership to schedule this yet?

18. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    He's wrong (what a surprise!). Two separate circuits. It's described that way in the shop manual as well. One section for the engine cooling system wherein there is no mention of the inverter cooling system. Another section for the "hybrid system", wherein they describe each of the components of it including the hybrid cooling system.

19. tableround

tableround New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Clearly this is going to be an odd one.
    After reading this on Prius Chat I wanted to know if I would be reimbursed for this repair back in April '10.
    Here is their response:

Dear Mr. Yeager-Stiver,

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We apologize for the inconvenience and added expense you experienced in this matter.

The warranty for the water pump is 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first, from the date of first use for your vehicle. Based on the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) you provided, JTDKB20Uxxx, your vehicle was no longer under warranty at the time of repair and we do not show any Special Service Campaigns or recalls on this vehicle for the condition described. Once a vehicle is beyond the warranty parameters, responsibility for the cost of repair falls upon the vehicle owner.

If in the future a Special Service Campaign (SSC) or recall is issued that would cover your specific concern, Toyota would review your repairs for reimbursement at that time.

We again apologize for the inconvenience and expense this has caused you.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #.

Renee Toussaint
    Toyota Customer Experience
    ===
    After calling the 1-800 number (1-800-331-4331) I was told there is a voluntary repair job for a limited time and I can have the job "re-done," or if I choose to be reimbursed I can submit materials for a judgement once I visit a dealership and have them clear my VIN in their computer system and then mail the following:

Submit repair order
    Submit proof of ownership – registration copy
    Submit proof of payment of the invoice – copy of credit card receipt, monthly statement
    Go to dealer to clear the system showing work was done - submit this paperwork as well

6-8 weeks later I will be informed of their decision.

20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Last spring and summer when Toyota was in the middle of the Anti-Toyota media blitz, and the DEATH TOYOTA media scare...Toyota came out and said they were going to change and upgrade their commitment to quality.

You just sit back and see if you witness any real tangible change, or if it's all talk.

I'd say Kudos to Toyota.

Despite the complaints...they probably could of kept on ignoring this problem...and just limiting replacement to only those failures inwhich the owner complained loudly enough or couldn't be convinced it was just normal.

650,000 coolant pump replacements might be defined by convience for Toyota as a "Customer Service" campaign...because I'm sure they don't want the term "Recall" in the headlines again...but in either case it at least it's the right thing to do for the customers.